xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Original Xbox Game Company  (Read 1764 times)

pdidd

• Archived User
Original Xbox Game Company
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

So, I have pondered an idea for a while now.  I've thought about making a homebrew game company for the original Xbox.  I don't want games to have insanely awesome graphics.  I more want sprite based stuff, kinda like NES or super NES.  

I've thought of same games I would like to make, but I'm not the most experienced person myself.  It would take some time for me to learn how to program for the Xbox, which I am sure there are plenty of guides for.  

Games would be for free, but I would ask for donations.  I would not ask for donations until the release of first game.  So people don't have to feel like it's a scam.  This is just something for a hobby.

Would you guys like to see a game company make "retro" type games for the original xbox?

yougottabecrazy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »

If I can get a crash course in coding, or a good suggested guide, I'd love to plug along at something like this. I think it would be cool to port some of the games out there that are open source, as it is, so that could always be an option, too.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I would love to see a resurge in the scene, too. :3

pdidd

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »

Yeah, I need a crash course also, but I'm willing to devote the time into it.  Again, this would be justa hobby.  much like sivak who makes games for NES.

pdidd

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »

Yougota, You can private message me in the forums if your serious about this.  does anyone else know of a guide to programming xbox games?  I've seen them in the past but don't remember where.

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »

If you are planning to do 2D sprite-based games, maybe you can take a look to the SDL library. It is a library that you can use in Windows games, and it was also ported to Xbox. This way, you can program a Windows game and test it in the PC... and then, port it to Xbox will be very easy. In fact, I am learning it at the moment, so I cannot guarantee nothing about this, but as far as I have seen, I believe that it's very feasible  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If you are interested in this, you can begin learning SDL (and it is not exclusive for Xbox). There is a lot of information in the internet, or simply let me know.

I like this option because programming and debugging in a PC is very easy

pdidd

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »

hey hcf, thanks for the info.  I will def check into this.  I notice though there is a lack of great homebrew games.  It's all weird games, only cavestory is the most decent one i have found.

yougottabecrazy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »

If I'm not too mistaken, there are also a few engines built on SDL libraries as it is. A moment's research turns out that ONScripter is based on the SDL library, and with an English fork, that could always be an option for some sorts of game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Of course, when I say a crash course, I mean education from the beginning... The most time I've spent was with TI-Basic and a tiny bit of Python, but if it's something that interests me (and writing a battle system for the calculator in several math classes proves well enough that I'm willing to waste hours of my life) I'll work hard for it.

Xboxer!

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »

I have no experience creating games or programming, so I wanted to ask. how they think about using BennuGD? After playing "SorR" I'm interested in this. But I would like to make more complex games like rpg games.

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »

Xboxer, in fact I have been thinking about that idea, since the release of SorR!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have being testing through years several methods to make "pseudo-multiplattform" games, and nowadays this is very easy, thanks to the big amount of emulators that exist.

For example, I began programming some games for some consoles like the TurbografX, and nowadays you can run these games in a PC (with the Mednafen emulator) and you can run the same game in a Xbox too (with the mednafenX emulator) or even in a PSP... This has a bad point, which is that you are limited by the specifications of the TurbografX (screen resolution, color palette...) and you cannot use the full potential of the Xbox.

A better approach was creating games for NeoGeo CD (it is a way better console, and very good for 2D sprite-based games) and now these games are runable in Xbox thanks to the NeoraineX emulator recently released by A600!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But programming for a console is difficult if you are begining to program. So I would recommend other easier options to create a "pseudo-multiplattform" game.

Other option was creating a MS-DOS game with C programming language and the Allegro library, and run it in Xbox with dosxbox and in a PC with dosbox. Again, you are not using the full potential of the Xbox (you are limited by the PC emulated by dosxbox, which is not very powerfull). The good thing is that programming with Allegro is easy.

After that, I worked in the creation of OpenBOR games (you can create Beats-Of-Rage-like games and run it with the OpenBOR for Xbox or the OpenBOR for PC). And other solution may be (I have NOT tested it) programming with BennuGD like you said!! I have not worked too much in these two options because OpenBOR and BennuGD have their own "programming languages", and I prefer to use a language that I already know (like C). But if you are begining, maybe you can consider to make a game for OpenBOR or BennuGD, of course!!

Finally, I worked in Python games (you can run them in XBMC) and nowadays I am studying the posssibility to create SDL games for Windows that can be easily ported to other plattforms like Xbox. The good thing about it is that you will create a real Xbox game, so you can use the full potential of the machine.

I recommended SDL to pdidd because he is interested in creating 2D sprite-based games for Xbox. Of course he can use XDK or OpenXDK without SDL, but if you only want to do 2D games, I'm sure that using the SDL functions is a very easy solution for him, because they are very understable and even you can test a similar game in a PC. Of course he can program a NeoGeo CD game instead, but I'm sure that he will prefer the SDL option to create a real Xbox game  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by hcf: May 10 2011, 11:50 AM

pdidd

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »

Hey hcf, What are som egood tutorials that you would recommend for sdl?  

And also, how do you add sdl to xbox? or is already there

Master13

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »

good luck now you need a title and a nifty logo to show before you games  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

pdidd

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »

Yeah, i have been thinking of things like that.  I decided I am going to write at least the first games in bennugd.  It seems like a very good program to start with for programming.

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »

Yes, maybe if you are begining to program, Bennu can be a more intuitive programming language. I have not tested it very much. I prefer C or C++ because I have programmed with it a lot, it's powerfull and flexible, and if you are used to program with them, SDL is easy. But if you are begining, Bennu can be OK. Please, let us know your experiences!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In any case, I am going to answer your first question about using SDL (this may be usefull if anyone reads this thread in the future). If you want to use the SDL library for Xbox, you must choose to program with either XDK or OpenXDK. If you download OpenXDK from Sourceforge (for example the 0.07 version) you can simply decompress it and run it with Cygwin: OpenXDK includes the precompiled SDL libraries yet.

If you choose XDK, you must install XDK... but XDK does not contain the SDL, so you have to download and install it. I suggest to download SDLx (both libSDLx and SDLx_Image) from "the usual places" and decompress them in your PC. Finally, you have to add to your paths of Visual Studio .NET, the paths where you decompressed the .lib files and the .H files

pdidd

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »

This is just a small update.  

I have found a few tutorials for bennugd. This looks like a very good language for someone who wants to start programming the Xbox for games.  

For a first game, i am thinking about just doing basic shapes and making a small 1 level platformer and also use that to learn how to port to the Xbox.  Once this is completed, I can release it but i don't know if that would actually have a point to it haha.  

Anywho.  I will keep the forum informed on my progress.

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »

Good luck pdidd! We will like to see your progress in this forum  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Pages: [1] 2