xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Odamex 0.5.0  (Read 3173 times)

Rygrass

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »

Thanks for the port been playing Doom.wad for last one hour and it seems perfect!

One problem tho:

Seems i can't refresh master list. i can ping to it and it says Queried Severs 0 of 77

But nothing shows up.. PC version fine any ideas ?

EDIT: It's taking 5 minutes  to refresh the master list.... Hmmm where on pc takes like 5 seconds

Cheers for the port!

cbagy

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »

There was a newer version released straight after that version which fixes this.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(piip4 @ Sep 18 2010, 06:17 AM) View Post

Been testing it a bit now. So far tried about 30 wads big and small and they all worked for me.
Found another player online and went through a few levels, all fine. smile.gif

However I have two questions:
1. I can't figure out how to do LAN play (is it even supported...?) I figured this multiplayer-oriented port would have something like it.
2. Is there some way to get 16bit colour?

#2 isn't important really, I'm more concerned about LAN play. Otherwise it's hard to find anything about this port to criticize. It's really damn good.

For the LAN issue, the Odamex multiplayer server portion is all contained in a server executable. If you want to run a game on a LAN you will need to run a server from a PC or an Xbox running Linux. Even then you will need to either advertise that server with the master list or have a keyboard available to type into the "Custom command-line parameters" field in the game launcher with "-connect IP:PORT" so you can connect to the LAN game. The process for doing this will improve with future versions but I would not anticipate a LAN capability contained within the game anytime soon. Ultimately Odamex is a game client and odasrv is a game server.

As for the 16-bit issue. The answer to that question is on the video options screen. "Only 8-bit modes are supported". That is not an Xbox thing but an Odamex thing. Sorry about that.

QUOTE(Rygrass @ Sep 18 2010, 08:04 AM) View Post

Thanks for the port been playing Doom.wad for last one hour and it seems perfect!

One problem tho:

Seems i can't refresh master list. i can ping to it and it says Queried Severs 0 of 77

But nothing shows up.. PC version fine any ideas ?

EDIT: It's taking 5 minutes  to refresh the master list.... Hmmm where on pc takes like 5 seconds

Cheers for the port!

When the release was very first announced a version went out that had two major bugs in it that were serious enough to warrant immediate correction. The issue you are referring to was one of them. The "usual place" never got the original version of the package. It only got the fixed one. The reason I wasn't concerned about updating the package was because the "usual place" hadn't gotten it yet and there were only a handful of downloads that I was aware of. Unfortunately it seems like the broken version may have gotten passed around a bit. The answer is that anyone experiencing this issue needs to reacquire the software.

As for the speed of the query, the query process is threaded just as it is on the PC. That was the reason for porting pthreads to the Xbox so the AG_Threads API can function. The problem with the server queries involves a function (XNetDnsLookup()) behaving differently on some Xbox's than it does on others. Every single server being queried is going through a failed name lookup and that takes a little bit of time. That is why the query is taking so long. After the fix it will still take that long because the quick fix was to allow the DNS lookup to fail and then handle it after. So you will get successful queries but it will still take about 30 - 45 seconds for the full list to be queried. The unaffected Xbox's query at the expected speed. In our svn I have rewritten our custom gethostbyname() so that the provided name is tested to determine if it is an IP address first and then sent into XNetDnsLookup() if that is not the case. This means that all Xbox's will do the same thing in this function whether they suffer from the mentioned issue or not and all Xbox's will query at the fastest speed possible. This means that the query is reduced from 30 - 45 seconds to 0.5 - 1.5 seconds on the affected Xbox's. That will be in the next release.

There is a video on YouTube someone made of Odamex on Xbox and you can see what the query speed is like on unaffected Xbox's. Here is the video:

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(trrobin @ Sep 16 2010, 11:21 PM) View Post
In single player; no matter what Iwad, and/or pwad I select, it always comes up with standard doom 2.
The same goes for the online games.

If you are experiencing this issue please shorten your Odamex path. This is caused by a limitation in the particular launch data structure I am using which is defined by MS. I will try and have this corrected for the next release.

So, for example, if you have a path that looks like this: E:\Games\Doom Games\Odamex-0.5.0
Try changing it to this: E:\Games\Odamex

That should solve the issue.

QUOTE(dravichm @ Sep 15 2010, 10:05 PM) View Post
Also, I'm having another issue with the single player I tried loading Hacx & Batman Doom both of these mods require a dehacked patch which I have, these change the behavior of Doom quite a bit (Batman Doom especially) the launcher doesn't seem to be loading them or loading them properly.  An example in Batman Doom is you start with baterangs they are supposed to act like rockets and use the pistol slot but on the Xbox it fires the shotgun it's just weird.  These mods DO work on the PC version of Odemex 0.5.0, although Batman Doom needs ZBATMAN.deh for Zdoom 1.2.x which Odemex is based off of I did manage to find it and I'm using that.

Loading of .deh and .bex files has been corrected in our source repository and the fix will be in the next release.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »

So you guys really getting some DOOM multiplayer action now?

I'd like to try this out and finally get around to reading up on networking XPORT games in that email that run088 sent me about 3 years ago.

Would be cool to play some multiplayer with people around here instead of working all the time.   cool.gif

Lipo

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »

this far more superior than doom legacy for xbox love.gif  love.gif  love.gif
i have maximum doom wad it contain 1830 PWAD

it take couple minute to scan, after i quit playing i have to scan again if i want to chose diffrent PWAD
maybe you can change it for next release

i also noticed if i place PWADS like this
odamex\maximum doom\doom1
odamex\maximum doom\doom2
it doesnt work, it just launch regular doom 1 & 2
but if i change it to
odamex\doom1
odamex\doom2
it worked fine rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif

last but not least
with so many PWADS i want to keep separate folder for doom1 & 2 PWADS to appear on wads list, i hope it will happened on next release

sorry for my engrish tongue.gif i hope you get the point biggrin.gif

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

Those are good requests but they are not likely to appear in the next release and I can't really say when they will. But, for now you can add and remove directories from the wad list through the settings dialog very easily so that you only have the wads you want shown at the time. Also, you can have as many directories configured in there as you want. As I stated previously, I intend to change the pwad selector to a tree with pwads alphabetically sorted and each letter will be collapsible.

As to the wads not working correctly with the original paths... the length of the path is not the issue. They can really be as long as you want. The issue is that my launcher is not handling spaces correctly in command-line arguments. I will try to address that in the next release. Takes the spaces out of your original path names and they will work.

Clockface

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(guybird @ Oct 8 2010, 06:51 AM) *

I have a collection, but as is, Odamex doesn't allow for recursive folder lookups, meaning that if you have everything sorted out nice and neat like I do, it won't work as is.  Once that gets sorted out, I'll go to town, but until then, it'd be too much of a mess to just toss 100's of files into one big folder and keep everything straight.  The emu itself though is very nice and I love all of the customizable settings.

Great, I'll look forward to downloading the archive when it's done. And it should be perfectly legal, as it's all freeware files, so no having to search the darkest spots of Google for the link  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hyper_Eye, does the fact that Nuts crashes under Odamex (XBox) mean that potentially any serious mods or levels might fail to work for the same reason? Nuts doesn't matter, of course, as it's just a novelty mod, but could serious/genuine levels fail in the same way?

And I don't think that Guybird meant any offense with the term "emu", I think he just meant it in the same generic way that people say "roms" instead of games, or "programs" instead of applications/utilities.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Clockface @ Oct 8 2010, 07:24 AM) View Post

Great, I'll look forward to downloading the archive when it's done. And it should be perfectly legal, as it's all freeware files, so no having to search the darkest spots of Google for the link  smile.gif
Hyper_Eye, does the fact that Nuts crashes under Odamex (XBox) mean that potentially any serious mods or levels might fail to work for the same reason? Nuts doesn't matter, of course, as it's just a novelty mod, but could serious/genuine levels fail in the same way?

It is is possible that a level can overrun the heap. It isn't likely. I have tested with arcadia.wad many times before and it contains a massive first level. I don't think nuts.wad is representative of much more than nuts.wad. Quoting from doom wiki where you can find nuts.wad under the article Joke WAD:

Nuts by B.P.R.D contains 10617 monsters in two rooms and is almost unplayable as a result. It is featured in Doomworld’s Top 10 Infamous WADs.

I don't think you have to worry about running into those conditions much.

QUOTE(Clockface @ Oct 8 2010, 07:24 AM) View Post
And I don't think that Guybird meant any offense with the term "emu", I think he just meant it in the same generic way that people say "roms" instead of games, or "programs" instead of applications/utilities.

No offense was taken. I just noticed that Odamex has been incorrectly labeled a launcher or emulator a number of times and my post was simply meant to be an informative one.

guybird

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »

Oh I realize that yeah its not really an "emulator", I just give that type of name to something that loads/plays multiple files instead of just one.  With so many things to run and sort through on an xbox, it sorta makes classifying it a little easier.  Obviously though porting it was no small feat, and kudos to you for pulling it off.

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »

FINALLY got to play this.  My Xbox was down and out for a while, but I installed a new power supply a few days ago and everything is working perfectly again.

I'd first like to say that I was very critical in every aspect the first time I played Doom on the Xbox, and that was with DoomX, which I absolutely hated.  I really enjoyed Doom Legacy, however, and I didn't see much reason to "upgrade" to a new Doom until now.  Odamex just runs flawlessly in single-player mode.  The graphics are crisp, the framerate is perfect, the level transitions are smooth (thank god...no more cringing at my Xbox), and THERE'S MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT!

Unfortunately every time I try to get into a game there's nobody else playing...ever.  What's up with that?  I can see the Xbox version staying a bit dry, but what about you guys out there on Linux and Windows?

Anyway, because Hyper Eye did such a fantastic job, he's inspired me to work on a little project of my own.  I am officially (er, sorta) creating official (kinda?) boxart for ALL of the Xbox homebrew games...except for DoomX because there's really no point in owning three versions of Doom on 1 Xbox.  That's four if you have the collector's edition of Doom 3 and five if you also have ROE.  Yup, I got 'em all...and the 32x and SNES versions.  I think that's it.

The first box I made is here and it is dedicated strictly to Hyper Eye:

IPB Image

The artwork is by Don Ivan Punchatz, the same guy that did the original Doom box art.  He passed away recently and this piece finally surfaced.  Originally thought to be early Doom concept art, it is explained by the artist's son that this "alternate" painting was actually made for Electronic Gaming Monthly's issue 64 cover.  More info can be found here.

Hope you like the boxart.  Still working on the side and the back, but this is the only one I will be creating a side and back for.

Cheers!

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »

Now that I read over that, I think I may have sounded a bit unsympathetic when I mentioned Don Ivan's passing.  He may have very well been my favorite artist ever, considering I have two 24" by 36" posters of the original Ultimate Doom box art.  I really wish I had a chance to meet him.

Movax

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »

I was playing this today. It's very cool, and fun to play. I have one question - is there was a way to make the console and multiplayer status readable at 720p?

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(l11l1VeNoM1l11l @ Oct 27 2010, 03:45 AM) View Post

FINALLY got to play this.  My Xbox was down and out for a while, but I installed a new power supply a few days ago and everything is working perfectly again.

I'd first like to say that I was very critical in every aspect the first time I played Doom on the Xbox, and that was with DoomX, which I absolutely hated.  I really enjoyed Doom Legacy, however, and I didn't see much reason to "upgrade" to a new Doom until now.  Odamex just runs flawlessly in single-player mode.  The graphics are crisp, the framerate is perfect, the level transitions are smooth (thank god...no more cringing at my Xbox), and THERE'S MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT!

Unfortunately every time I try to get into a game there's nobody else playing...ever.  What's up with that?  I can see the Xbox version staying a bit dry, but what about you guys out there on Linux and Windows?

Anyway, because Hyper Eye did such a fantastic job, he's inspired me to work on a little project of my own.  I am officially (er, sorta) creating official (kinda?) boxart for ALL of the Xbox homebrew games...except for DoomX because there's really no point in owning three versions of Doom on 1 Xbox.  That's four if you have the collector's edition of Doom 3 and five if you also have ROE.  Yup, I got 'em all...and the 32x and SNES versions.  I think that's it.

The first box I made is here and it is dedicated strictly to Hyper Eye:

The artwork is by Don Ivan Punchatz, the same guy that did the original Doom box art.  He passed away recently and this piece finally surfaced.  Originally thought to be early Doom concept art, it is explained by the artist's son that this "alternate" painting was actually made for Electronic Gaming Monthly's issue 64 cover.  More info can be found here.

Hope you like the boxart.  Still working on the side and the back, but this is the only one I will be creating a side and back for.

Cheers!

Excellent box art! I have looked at your other thread and it looks like you are getting a nice collection worked up. Keep up the good work.

If you are looking for a game and nobody is playing the best thing to do is jump into the IRC channel #odamex on irc.oftc.net and drop a line in there that you are looking for a game. Someone will usually respond shortly. Odamex is a growing port but it takes time to establish a large playerbase. Odamex still has some work to do if we want to be chosen over Skulltag and Zdaemon.

QUOTE(Movax @ Nov 1 2010, 11:14 PM) View Post

I was playing this today. It's very cool, and fun to play. I have one question - is there was a way to make the console and multiplayer status readable at 720p?

For the console, if you have overscan on it is possible that it is making the text unreadable. Overscan can really mangle the console text. If it is a matter of the text being too small there isn't anything you can do about that besides lower your resolution when you want to read it. For the scoreboard, look in the options and turn off the highres scoreboard. It may not look as nice but the text will be large. We need to work on adding scaling to some of the interface elements that don't currently scale.

Movax

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.0
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Nov 3 2010, 01:56 AM) View Post

For the scoreboard, look in the options and turn off the highres scoreboard. It may not look as nice but the text will be large. We need to work on adding scaling to some of the interface elements that don't currently scale.

Thanks, that helped. The console isn't too important as long as there are no errors.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4