xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Following Games Must Be Ported To The X-box  (Read 367 times)

DoomMaster

• Archived User
The Following Games Must Be Ported To The X-box
« on: August 18, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »

The following PC games must be ported to the X-Box:

Blood

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force

Vampire The Masquerade Redemption

These games will run just fine on the X-Box's hardware.     (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

This post has been edited by DoomMaster: Aug 19 2007, 05:44 AM

+ T +

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:00 AM »

Great. Keep us updated on your progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

oozingrectum

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(DoomMaster @ Aug 19 2007, 05:43 AM) *

The following PC games must be ported to the X-Box:

Blood

These games will run just fine on the X-Box's hardware.     (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

The problem is that many of those games source codes have not been released. (I know for sure the Blood code hasn't)

cricri_pingouin

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »

Another is because someone says that some games MUST be ported doesn't mean that whoever CAN port them will have interest in doing so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
You could always post in XPort's request thread in the stickies of his forum.

That, and of course, what oozingrectum just said.

*EDIT* Apparently, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force could be possible. It's C source code is available, and I couldn't see it using any funky library which is not available for the XBox, albeit I might be wrong.

This post has been edited by cricri_pingouin: Aug 21 2007, 11:37 AM

Solo0815

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(cricri_pingouin @ Aug 21 2007, 12:31 PM) *

You could always post in XPort's request thread in the stickies of his forum.

*EDIT* Apparently, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force could be possible. It's C source code is available, and I couldn't see it using any funky library which is not available for the XBox, albeit I might be wrong.

XPort doesn´t like 1st Person-Shooters or 3D-Games. Maybe Cacharius can jump in and port "at least" Star Trek Voyager EF (if the Source is out there) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

szalay

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »

dreams ... for ever

Half Life 1
Deus Ex 1
Blood
Star Trek The Next Generation Klingon Honor Guard
Aliens Vs. Predator
ETC....

Carcharius

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Solo0815 @ Aug 21 2007, 04:01 PM) *

XPort doesn´t like 1st Person-Shooters or 3D-Games. Maybe Cacharius can jump in and port "at least" Star Trek Voyager EF (if the Source is out there) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Sure, and what should I do after lunch?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Carcharius @ Aug 22 2007, 08:41 AM) *

Sure, and what should I do after lunch?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Well, AvP obviously. In fact, do AvP before breakfast, if you like  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Slightly more seriously, just do AvP. Please...

See, the Doctor says I'm suffering from madeupitis, and only an XBox port of Alien vs. Predator can cure me. Quick, before it's too late  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

DoomMaster

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »

Well, who ported Doom, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, and Rise of the Triad?  Maybe that person could also do Star Trek Voyager Elite Force and Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption.  Half-Life and AvP sucked!  Blood is a much better game, especially for deathmatch.  Also, you can create your own Bloodbath maps and play them online.  I created 4 awesome maps for Blood, 7 wads for Doom II, and about 50 maps for Duke Nukem.  My maps are famous on Kali and around the world.     (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 05:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(DoomMaster @ Sep 4 2007, 07:42 AM) *

Well, who ported Doom, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, and Rise of the Triad?  Maybe that person could also do Star Trek Voyager Elite Force and Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption.  Half-Life and AvP sucked!  Blood is a much better game, especially for deathmatch.  Also, you can create your own Bloodbath maps and play them online.  I created 4 awesome maps for Blood, 7 wads for Doom II, and about 50 maps for Duke Nukem.  My maps are famous on Kali and around the world.     (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

DN3D and Shadow Warrior (and Hexen and Heretic), I think were ported by A500, who doesn't seem to be around any more. The others were ported by Carcharius and Lantus, who also seem to be either inactive or no longer around (Carcharius' post in this thread was the first I've seen of his for a long time, sadly). The trouble is, porting requires real skill and a lot of time, and there are very few people still so dedicated, especially with the Xbox being largely percieved as an old system.

Although even if there were an army of eager, skilled code porters ready and waiting, without the source code for the games, ports would be impossible. Well, not impossible, but enormously impractical, as the binary code would have to be hand converted to the XBox, which would be extremely difficult, especially the audio/graphical system calls.

The most comprehensive list of (ex-)commercial games that have had their source released is at:

http://liberatedgames.com/gamelisting.php

and none of your suggested games are there, I'm afraid. The first person shooter games that have been ported to the XBox are by companies like id and 3D Realms, both of whom have released the source codes into the public domain, which is a commendable, but sadly very rare, attitude.

Neither Half-Life nor AvP "sucked", by the way, and both are massively popular (HL is possibly the mosy popular FPS of all time on the PC), yet neither have been ported to the XBox. Half-Life never appeared as the source code is unavailable, and AvP, though it's source is available, has never appeared in the three or so years it's been available as it's apparently very complicated to handle, and there's so few active XBox porters any more. It is under discussion in the thread:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=270335

And Half-Life supports user made multiplayer maps, I don't know about AvP.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(szalay @ Aug 22 2007, 02:31 AM) *

dreams ... for ever

Half Life 1
Deus Ex 1
Blood
Star Trek The Next Generation Klingon Honor Guard
Aliens Vs. Predator
ETC....

I'd cream my shorts if they ported Deus Ex 1.  Anybody ever play the PS2 port of that game?  Worst port of a game EVER.  If the guys who ported that to PS2 are part of the XBox scene and are interested in porting Deus Ex to the XBox, please don't bother.

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Oct 29 2007, 08:22 AM) *

I'd cream my shorts if they ported Deus Ex 1.  Anybody ever play the PS2 port of that game?  Worst port of a game EVER.  If the guys who ported that to PS2 are part of the XBox scene and are interested in porting Deus Ex to the XBox, please don't bother.

What was wrong with the PS2 port? Admittedly the loaded level chunks were cut down in size to compensate for the PS2's smaller memory, but the levels themselves were the same, with a few minor alterations, from what I've seen. And the inventory was simplified, as was the health system. But the only real fault I know of is that the multiplayer was left out. There were no crashes, or slowdown, or bugs that I noticed, though admittedly I haven't played it much (I only recently bought a PS2, mainly for DE, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and Killzone).

What else was wrong with the port?

If you want to see a terrible port, try Carmageddon 64 on the N64 - it's so bad that they even converted the wrong game! It's not a port of Carmageddon, as the name would suggest, but a port of Carmageddon 2.

The levels are cut down, the difficulty goes from almost non-existant in the races (as you can simply win by ramming the other, unintellgiently driven cars, at least in the PC games they put up a fight or ran off) to impossible in some of the Challenges, there's no map (which you need in some levels to find the enemies), it has the worst frame rate you can imagine, there's very little sensation of speed, the pedestrians (who are at least twice the size of your car!!!) don't even have the intelligence to run from you, there's no skill levels, the car's turning feels well off, and maybe be more faults (I'd have to play it to find out, but I don't want to).

szalay

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Oct 29 2007, 08:22 AM) *

"dreams ... for ever"
i means these games port for xbox not for PS2

Half Life 1 Deus Ex 1 are official release games for Ps2 BTW

or i misunderstand something ?

beige

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(szalay @ Oct 29 2007, 11:22 AM) *

"dreams ... for ever"
i means these games port for xbox not for PS2

Half Life 1 Deus Ex 1 are official release games for Ps2 BTW

or i misunderstand something ?

Ressurectionx was commenting that the quality of the ported game was so bad that he would rather not see the same people release the games on the xbox.
Official or not, the games were still ported to the PS2.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 01:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(beige @ Oct 29 2007, 10:33 PM) *

Ressurectionx was commenting that the quality of the ported game was so bad that he would rather not see the same people release the games on the xbox.
Official or not, the games were still ported to the PS2.

Exactly..... thanks beige....

Clockface - Perhaps there was an updated and severely overhauled port of Deus Ex to the PS2 after the one that I picked up.  Aside from the minor flaws you mentioned, the grapics were inferior (something that didn't make sense to me given the power of the PS2) and the loading times were rediculous.  It wouldn't have been bad if it was one long loading time between levels, but the levels were broken into different invisible blocks (think Legend of Zelda for NES) and when you would get to the end of one, the game would pause to load up the new part (even if you were in the middle of a battle!!!!).  

Such a utterly horrible experience after playing one of the best games ever made on the PC.  Such a letdown for somebody who pretty much hates playing games on the PC period.  I'd be pretty psyched if they made an improved port of it though.