xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.4ghz Piii Xbox  (Read 117 times)

hcf

• Archived User
1.4ghz Piii Xbox
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »

The original Xbox (I guess that you talk about it when you say "733") is unable to handle a Dreamcast emulator. In fact, even emulating the previous Sega console (the Sega Saturn) seems to be beyond the limits of the Xbox (although this has not been totally proven, but we can assume this because in fact the Sega Genesis emulator uses almost all of the resources of the machine).

You are talking about modifying the Xbox with another processor and more memory? I don't know if this modified Xbox would be able to run that emulator properly, but I guess that we cannot expect that someone ports the Dreamcast emulator for the Xbox, simply because it will not work in a normal Xbox. There are few programmers in the Xbox scene making emulators now, and they use to be involved in projects that CAN work. For example, in another thread we were discussing about the options of porting Pinmame (emulator for Pinball machines) and at the moment nobody is doing this, because it may work or not. In the case of the Dreamcast, we are sure that it will not work, so it is very difficult that people is attracted to work in that project.

A different approach is if you install a Linux in your Xbox, and try to run a Dreamcast emulator in Linux (or in Wine). I don't know if it could work or not  smile.gif

DarthMingus

• Archived User
1.4ghz Piii Xbox
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »

This isn't going to happen. The audience using an upgraded Xbox is very small and I don't think it would justify the amount of work that a DC emulator would entail. Also, you can get a DC on eBay for about $50. Just go buy one. smile.gif