xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mame Noob...  (Read 99 times)

00g

• Archived User
Mame Noob...
« on: October 27, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »

I have a game that appears to be divided into 13 different files with the extensions starting with .u (.u3, .u4, .u10, .u11, .u12 etc)

What do I do with these?

This is my first attempt at playing MAMEOX game.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Mame Noob...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

Most MAME games have a lot of files like that and they need to be zipped together and the zip needs to have the proper name.

00g

• Archived User
Mame Noob...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »

Wow. You seem to reply to a lot of my threads. lol Thanks.

How does the .zip file have to be named?
Mine's named thegrid.zip, and inside that zip folder are the 13 U files. I've hit the "Scan for Roms" button, and it finds nothing.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Mame Noob...
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

Well, that is the proper name, but that game won't work anyway.  Check this list out:  Link

That is the current list of games supported in the PC version of MAME.  You can find the actual full name of the game on the left hand side and the last column is the ROM's zip name.  But the most important column is the first one after the full name (2nd column).  That column tells you whether or not the game currently works in MAME.  If you look at "The Grid" you will see it listed as "No".  That list gets updated each time MAME gets an update and as you can see at the very top it is for MAME version 0.101u3.  The most recent XBox versions are built around an older version of MAME, 0.84.  

So if a game isn't working in the current PC version of MAME, chances are they don't work in the older version the XBox port is based on.  Also, note that just because a game does work in the PC version, doesn't mean it will work in the XBox port.  Due to RAM and power limitations some games don't run well on the XBox port... particularly 3D games like Street Fighter EX, Tekken, etc...  

Which XBox version are you trying to use?  Most people use either MAMEdOX v1.1 or MAMEoX 128 Plus v7/26.  What you need to do is learn to use DAT files for the MAME emulators.  You can get the DAT files for MAMEdOX here:  Link

I recommend downloading the DATS and then downloading a program called Romcenter (PC program).  You load the Romcenter DAT into Romcenter and then you can use it to scan your ROMS before loading them onto your XBox.  It will tell you if you have the correct ROM for the emulator.  It will also show you a list of every game supported.  I'm not sure if there is a DAT for MAMEoX 128 Plus around, maybe someone else will know, but for the most part MAMEdOX and 128 Plus should support most of the same games since they are both based primarily on MAME 0.84.

This post has been edited by Thraxen: Oct 27 2005, 07:22 PM

00g

• Archived User
Mame Noob...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

Damn, that sucks.

I was looking forward to playing this game. I was straight addicted to it in the arcades.

It's really the only game I'd want for Mame, so I'm probably just gonna delete Mame now.

Thanks a lot for all that info though.

_quaKe

• Archived User
Mame Noob...
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »

What game was it?

Thraxen

• Archived User
Mame Noob...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

He mentioned it in his second post... "The Grid" (thegrip.zip).