xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (s)nes-to-x-box Adapter - Lets Make This Happen  (Read 430 times)

pelago

• Recovered User
(s)nes-to-x-box Adapter - Lets Make This Happen
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »

Just to be clear on this, it's not a simple manner of soldering wires together. You'll need serious electronics (PIC for example) and USB gubbins. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I just want people to understand what they're getting into!

As for emulator controls, they could possibly be mapped to a real Xbox controller plugged into a different port.

SSSSSmokey

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2003, 12:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (pelago @ Jul 3 2003, 04:38 PM)
As for emulator controls, they could possibly be mapped to a real Xbox controller plugged into a different port.

That is actually a good idea.  I didn't think of it.  Then there wouldn't be any need for messy combos to get to the menu.

pelago

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2003, 11:55:00 AM »

I think whoever had the idea of hacking the Xbox controller to add an Amiga joystick port has the right idea, rather than trying to make a standalone adapter. Basically the 'alien' controller buttons connect to the buttons inside the Xbox controller, and so pressing the alien controller buttons has the same effect as pressing the Xbox controller buttons. The electronics in the Xbox controller handle all the hard stuff like USB, and no special drivers or other software would be required.

When you needed to do emulator features (such as clicking in analogue sticks or whatever), you've still got the full Xbox controller to hand.

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (pelago @ Jul 20 2003, 02:55 PM)
I think whoever had the idea of hacking the Xbox controller to add an Amiga joystick port has the right idea, rather than trying to make a standalone adapter. Basically the 'alien' controller buttons connect to the buttons inside the Xbox controller, and so pressing the alien controller buttons has the same effect as pressing the Xbox controller buttons. The electronics in the Xbox controller handle all the hard stuff like USB, and no special drivers or other software would be required.

While this does make sense, you then have to hack the buttons in 1) your xbox controller, 2) the controller you'd like to use. It sounds like we'd have no logic in here, just straight on/off.

I've not yet been inside of my Xbox controller, but the fact that all of the primary buttons are analog may make this this complex. On top of that, you must hijack the buttons on the controller you wish to use and wire a different interface for it (unless it's an Atari2600/SMS controller, which is straight on/off for all buttons).

So, to do it the "easy hardware hack way", you must destroy an Xbox controller, and open/potentially destroy each controller for each system you wish to use on your xbox. Unless you want to build some peice of logic hardware somehow knows the controller you've got plugged in, put it through logic some logic, then map those to xbox controller buttons. I'm not sure how feasable this is.

If you want one controller for one console, this may work. Using this system to map multiple controllers would be another story.

--falz

neocarbunkle

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2003, 09:42:00 AM »

um wouldnt just using the game cube hori controller and http://www.lik-sang....oducts_id=2143 this cube->usb adapter work? If not madcatz is making a controller for ps2 and xbox that is shapped like the NES controller but still has all of the new buttons.

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (neocarbunkle @ Jul 23 2003, 12:42 PM)
um wouldnt just using the game cube hori controller and http://www.lik-sang....oducts_id=2143 this cube->usb adapter work?

Sure, if someone wrote drivers for it.

--falz

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »

The GameCube controller is terrible. I'd never put that thing on my xbox.

-Bender

pelago

• Recovered User
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2003, 11:40:00 AM »

I think you missed the bit in the post mentioning the 'hori' gamecube controller. I believe the guy is talking about this thing which plugs into a GameCube and is shaped like a SNES controller.

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2003, 12:08:00 PM »

Now I understand why you said it was similar to the SNES controller. Sorry I am such a dumbass.

-Bender

theraven871

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2003, 12:57:00 PM »

This is one of the most foolish things I have seen yet.  First off, the SNES controllers will offer nothing at all in terms of better control.  The factory Xbox controllers, I'm afraid, are far more advanced.  This is a waste of time in my opinion.  If you want to use your snes controller why don't you play it on your snes?

The Raven

sck

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2003, 01:41:00 PM »

Since people still need the original controller plugged in, wouldn't using those free PSO USB convertors that plug into the memory card slot solve that problem? That way the xbox controller is still plugged in and you can use that for in game menus and such. So all you need are the numerous console to usb adapter. The only thing left would be to make drivers for them, which I have no clue how difficult that would be.
Pages: 1 [2]