xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Openxdk Input Handling  (Read 101 times)

d0wnlab

• Archived User
Openxdk Input Handling
« on: October 20, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »

Let me first just say Carcharius has done limitless amazing work for the xbox scene.  I believe his qIII port will be an obvious display to the general public.  As well, his and edwardaux's hard work on the openxdk is the only reason why it has any potential to be used.  Everytime I use the openXDK I am thankful for the work they've done in making it possible for me to write legal xbox apps in linux.

Anyways..

I think I figured out a (rather obvious) solution to the input handling issue.  For those just tuning in, the usb code Carcharius ported works great, but not in all circumstances.  Namely, the samples provided work great (and are very stable) but larger projects seem to be hit/miss on some xboxes (like mine).  However, it appears that if you do joystick event polling/handling in a seperate thread (using SDL_CreateThread, or see openxdk example) the problem disappears.  I guess something enjoys having relatively periodic and often polls.

Just in case anyone else is dealing with this issue, try that.  If you have tried this, and it fails on your xbox, please reply below so we can try to figure out a method that works on all xboxes.

Cheers,
Tom