xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help Getting Java Browser Going  (Read 407 times)

Techster

• Archived User
Help Getting Java Browser Going
« on: January 23, 2003, 01:50:00 PM »

I honestly tried all afternoon before posting... so now to the experts:
I'm using the .10 install of Ed's Debian w/ KDE installed

I want to be able to play the java based games at www.popcap.com like "psychobabble" against the wife & kid (on laptop & windows pc).. Obvisouly i have next to NO linux experience (sorry)

So here's what i tried to do to get a browser working with popcap's java games:

I did apt-get mozilla and got the old 1.0 mozilla browser which works great, but doesn't have the java plugin (says "Needs x-java-vm") So i go to java.com and (applet logo doesn;t appear  there either) download the latest java Standard Edition 1.4.1_01  self extracting for Linux.
I do chmod a+x and then run it... I get all the license agreement stuff and it goes all the way back to the prompt....
Went back to mozilla and still no java....
So then I found some posts about symbolic links, so i did that and it asked if I wanted to replace (so i guess it was actually there from the original install anyway), i said yes and still no java in mozilla).

Then i found that opera 6.1 has built in java (PERFECT!)... so I go to download it and here is where i have some ?'s

WHich do I choose, deb, rpm, tar.gz... I thought i should do tar.gz for debian linux
Then use tar zxvf (which i did and it did its thing and made a new file on my desktop)  
Is there some way in kde that i simply right click and open with an archival program (kzip, archiver)?
What do i do from there to get opera installed, running, and with an icon on the kde desktop?

BTW, when i do apt-get update, it doesn't get all files (a couple errors at the end).
& When I go to the K, quick browser, and HOME and choose open in file manager, nothing happens
THANKS!!!!

This post has been edited by Techster: Jan 23 2003, 10:12 PM