xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ideas For Linux Based Dashboard  (Read 901 times)

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Ideas For Linux Based Dashboard
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »

There hasn't been a linux based dashboard for the xbox as Linux lacks a crucial capability - the ability to launch a XBE. Once cromwell/xromwell loads the kernel , there is no way back and it's full linux OS from that point onwards. Or is there?  tongue.gif

I have an idea which is based on PBL Metoo source and this thread for PBL-Should be-fixed and libxbox's xbox_reboot_fast function and finally openxdk's sample XBE launcher:

Just like xboxhdm2.2 which is a 2-stage hdd preparation process, we split the dashboard into 2 stages: Stage 1 which is a free-xdk based XBE (compiled and built on linux) and cannibalized parts from PBL - Yes the references thread confirmed that PBL is a free-xdk app. Stage 2 is regular xromwell.xbe which launches linux kernel. If a linux process wants to launch a XBE, it will write the XBE's path in this format to a text file in scratch partition \Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
CODE

\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\ = C:\
\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\ = E:\
\Device\Harddisk0\Partition6\ = F:\
\Device\Harddisk0\Partition7\ = G:\

and then execute a xbox_reboot_fast function via libxbox. Control will pass to Stage1.xbe since that is the effective dashboard file via either the softmod or the bios for chipped consoles. The magic occurs in Stage1.xbe. If Stage1.xbe detects the scratch file on partition3, it will read the file contents and use xLaunchXBE from openxdk's sample to launch the XBE and thus achieving the end effect of Linux 'launching' a regular XBE!. If no scratch file is present, Stage1.xbe will pass control to xrromwell.xbe which launches linux kernel as per normal.

This is an idea at the moment - I hope I can find the time to test out the idea soon.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »

Interesting...
I like it.

The only issue you may run into is getting HD resolutions working in Linux, while having the same compatibility that non-Linux dashes have regarding HD resolutions. In dashes like Unleash X and XBMC, they "just work", no matter what encoder you have (with exception of Xcalibur+VGA bios).

Xbox Linux and VGA bioses do not play nice together, at least in my trials on my Focus encoder + VGA monitor combination. The results have always been unsavory.

This post has been edited by xboxmods2977: May 28 2012, 04:29 PM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »

Linux uses mode 1+3 for VGA, see this thread.

binfmt_misc support for linux kernel will enable treating of XBE files as a linux executable. I got started on the coding and after  messing around,ended up with a xbe but it's not finished. I will continue when I can find the time.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 30 2012, 04:50 PM) View Post

Linux uses mode 1+3 for VGA, see this thread.
Oh! See, I knew about the mode, but I may have missed that thread.
I'm off to experiment now. biggrin.gif

worldwhore3

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »

so does it work?

can we run android on xbox yet?  with wired controller instead of mouse?

no?

ok.  well, then, is it cool looking, functional, and have a future in terms of potential application development (unlike xdsl)?

do we have a crew of people working on this, or is this just limited to your (ldot) personal work?  if it's just all on you,  are you capable of expanding and incorporating a team of developers?

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »

The WIP source+binary

I'm reminded of the importance of releasing the source. xboxhdm1.9 and chimp26 devs never got to releasing their source and I practically reverse engineered their work with the hints from their previous posts. On the other hand, devs like rmenhal, xman954 and ozpaul_b released their code. There is value in posting an outline of an idea so long sufficient details are provided that somebody could take that idea and expand on it.  

Maybe somebody will expand on this work someday if they see the value.