xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Softmod Problem  (Read 890 times)

exXxer

• Archived User
Softmod Problem
« on: September 25, 2013, 05:33:00 AM »

Hi all!

First of all, i'm not new to soft/hardmodding, but yesterday I've faced with a strange problem during softmodding, which i couldn't solve:

I bought an unmodded/unopened Xbox with 2 gamepads, which i thought will be easy to mod.
I choose the SC softmod way (coz that's the only game i've kept from my previous xbox (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)), bought an USB memory stick (2GB, 'Team Group C111 2G'), and a transfer cable.

Thats what i did:

1. Plug the transfer cable to port 2
2. Plug the mem stick into the usb
3. The Xbox noticed me, that the memory unit is corrupted and has been erased/formatted. (that's ok, i know)
4. Plug the mem stick to one of my laptop's USB port, 'Cancel' the Windows 7's formatting notification and opened Xplorer360
5. Drag'n'Drop the savegame exploit (NOT the 'UDATA' folder) to the root of the memstick. After it's finished, I checked it, it was injected properly (I also checked after unplug/replug if it's still there, and it was)
Now here comes my problem:
6. Plug the memory unit back to the Xbox..and the Xbox can't find anything on the card..it looks empty.
I plug back the mem stick into my laptop, thinking, maybe the files have been erased or got corrupted..but not, they're still there, and could also extract them from the mem card without any error msg.

After this i tried every way to transfer the files to the mem card (with 'UDATA' or just the files inside the '21...' directory...but no luck, it still looks empty, when i plug it into the Xbox. (I even tried to 'Personalize' the memory unit, to check, whether the Xbox really sees the memory unit..and it does :S.

So I've got no clue what could be the problem. :S
Has somebody faced with the same problem ever?..Any ideas? :S :S (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

Thanks in advance,

exXxer

PS: I checked my dashboard version..and it's 'K:1.00.4817.01. D:1.00.4817.01'
Could this be a problem why it can't see anything on the memcard? (which would be really strange :S) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)
I'll try to update it today with a 'Forza Motorsport' disc anyway..

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Softmod Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »

I can't offer am explanation but I have been amazed in the odd ways the Xbox can behave when faced with a USB memory device. I've had two flash drives that I'd used for some time as memory cards. Decided to transfer some stuff to it using my laptop. No reformatting or anything else done but since then both have refused to be recognised by the Xbox consistent causing the MS dash screen to pulse.

I've reformatted, deleted and even bleached both with CCleaner but now they're unusable with the Xbox but work fine with PCs etc.

Have you tried creating other game saves on the Xbox HDD using original discs and copying them to the USB device you're using. Shut down and restart and see if it still sees them. If it doesn't it is likely one of those USB memory device issues and there is no solution other than to use something else.

If you're hot plugging the USB device into the Xbox after transferring the SC saves from your laptop try cold booting the XBox with the flash drive attached instead or visa versa if you've been doing the opposite.

I read a long time ago that a quirk of some otherwise working with Xbox USB flash drives is that they don't like to be hot plugged. Worth a try but no guarantees.

exXxer

• Archived User
Softmod Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »

Yep..I've already tried what u mentioned above..but no luck, coz when i wanted to copy to the mem stick, it just said the it failed :S :S

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Softmod Problem
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »

Oops, sorry double post.

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Sep 25 2013, 01:45 PM

SPPV

• Archived User
Softmod Problem
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »

2 things.

1)If you have the USB plugged in then turn on the XBOX it will erase it
2)Some of the older versions of Xplorer360 would say it was loading the files when it didnt do anything.

Id suggest trying USB FATX Formater (its on Xbins and the team-hq site) It has a working Xplorer360 with all needed dll files to run on x86 and x64 systems and it seems to do a better job formatting USB then MSDash does.

SPPV

• Archived User
Softmod Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 02:48:00 AM »

^Its a nice app but we are very early in dev on it. We need to add more memory controllers and IDs still lots of potentialy compatable devices that FATX Formater doesnt recognise yet. But there are obvious and purposeful bugs in how the XBOX formats a USB that we found in the early stages of development. All cred goes to LegendaryFire he was the main brain on the formater.

SPPV

• Archived User
Softmod Problem
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »

If you happen to have an issue with Xplorer360 recognizing your USB even after using FATX Formater take a boo at my new Action Replay (AR X86 Bypass) http://www.mediafire...play_Package.7z

I made it (edited actualy lol) for support on 64 bit PCs but have found it sees USB better than the official 1.42 release.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Softmod Problem
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »

I've never had that problem. When a flash drive is working properly with the Xbox the Xplorer360 Beta version I have sees it with no problem.

That's what's so weird about those two flash drives I mentioned. They'd been working as memory cards for months. Xplorer360 recognised them and the saves present displayed correctly. Transferred some skins, as said, closed Xplorer360, ejected the drive properly and when I reconnected it to the Xbox that's when the problems appeared.

Foolishly, as I had a twin drive ie. same make and size which came from the same source, I tried that thinking it was a problem with the first one but unfortunately it had the same seemingly permanent effect.

They are (or were) apparently FATX formatted by reattaching to the Xbox despite the problem. Xplorer360 recognised them when reattached to the laptop and I could copy Xbox stuff to them successfully. But the moment I tried either with any Xbox they went missing or caused the other troubles mentioned.

I haven't used the reformatting tool yet, doing my monthly PC backups and maintenance, but some time next week I'll have a go.

Whether it works or not thanks for your help and advice.