xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Black Screen Please Help  (Read 1041 times)

rogerscameron95

• Archived User
Black Screen Please Help
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »

My Xbox has UnleashX and worked PERFECT before. However, i booted into a recover mode and enabled something (That i forgot what it was.)

Now, it boots up (Xbox startup intro and all), then simply to a black screen. It would be clear that the softmod was damaged. It would appear i can still run official and non official xbox discs, so i was wondering if this is a disc i can use to reinstall the softmod from CD?  Thanks!

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »

There several course of actions, particularly if you had the Splinter Cell or one of the other gamesave/exploits on the HDD. You could cold boot the original game disc and maybe get to the installer dash which has a File Explorer and FTP facility. You should be able to sort out what is wrong or repopulate the C and E:\ drives with fresh files.

However this sounds more like a job for HeXEn (Heimdall's Xbox Engineering) disc.

As I've not used it for anything like this myself I'd wait for further advice. However if you don't have HeXEn already it is considered an invaluable tool here so you might as well find it and burn it DVD-R in the meantime anyway.

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Aug 25 2013, 02:06 AM

rogerscameron95

• Archived User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 25 2013, 01:55 AM) View Post

This sounds like a job for HeXEn (Heimdall's Xbox Engineering) disc.

As I've not used it for anything like this myself I'd wait for further advice. However if you don't have HeXEn already it is considered an invaluable tool here so you might as well find it and burn it DVD-R in the meantime anyway.

Does it have to be DVD+R?

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »

DVD-R is considered the universal media for use with the Xbox. However I've recently become aware that the only reason for that is because it is the only media tested that works on the later Samsung disc drives most likely found in v1.6 Xboxes.

If you have a Thomson or Philips disc drive then, according to the source I found: the Auto Installer Deluxe manual which uses the info about this from a now dead web site, they're compatible with almost any media including DVD+R. But as I've not tested this out myself I'd still recommend sticking to DVD-R.

rogerscameron95

• Archived User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 25 2013, 02:17 AM) View Post

DVD-R is considered the universal media for use with the Xbox. However I've recently become aware that the only reason for that is because it is the only media tested that works on the later Samsung disc drives most likely found in v1.6 Xboxes.

If you have a Thomson or Philips disc drive then, according to the source I found: the Auto Installer Deluxe manual which uses the info about this from a now dead web site, they're compatible with almost any media including DVD+R. But as I've not tested this out myself I'd still recommend sticking to DVD-R.

Yep, mine is a Samsung drive. Shame. I will have to wait a bit because my current PC does not have a DVD Burner. I do plan on purchasing a USB External DVD Drive soon though...

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »

if u have the game save exploits still on th xbox, just boot 1 of the exploitable games "splinter cell is my recommended one as all versions work" (nort chaos thoory and other games like that just splinter cell)

then tell that to re softmod.
you an update your softmod after that with "hexen for hdd not dvd"

you could also go the hotswap route..

but id reccomend not doing that.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »

shambles1980

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you saying there is an option from within the HeXEn disc (like AID) you can use to install it to the HDD?  Or is the "hexen for hdd not dvd" mentioned a different download designed to be installed direct by FTP on the Xbox HDD or something like that?

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »

a while back.. Year or 2?
i decided there needed to be a hexen available for people with slim boxes or softmodded xboxes with bad dvd drives..
(i also wanted something to put on the hard disk for xboxes i sold. but was not blaitantly accessible unless you explored contents. that way people could fix the issues they usually create without sending the box back to me. or could re flash the bios later if they did not like something)

so i edited hexen.
It works from the E drive. and i had to lable a bunch of options as "DO NOT USE THIS"
But the options that are still available are. softmod install.
tsop flash
chip flash.
xbpartitioner.
and a buch of other recoovery tools and features..

its probably easiest that i just say what i labled as do not use.
prety much anything that had  the ability to format E. "because thats where hexen is"
New hard disk creation. (again because it would delete the hexen on the drive"
and LXHDM or any other similar appl that requires that you have the xbox reboot with the dvd or preform a hard disk swap..

it was added to the hexen topic on this forum.

So yes its a diferent download. you ftp it to the e drive. so you have "e:\hexinst" and Its still heimdalls work. all i did was edit a few files so it gets the data from the hard disk not the dvd.
and blanked out some options because they should not be used..
(it has to go to e:\hexinst btw,)

I would always reccomend the DVD version if you can use it. But if you cant then the "hexen for hdd not dvd" is there as an option.

it should be the 1st or one of the 1st links you find if you google

"hexen for hard disk drive not dvd"
or
"hexen for HDD drive not dvd"

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Aug 26 2013, 02:23 PM

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »

Thanks. I found it in some other place quite easily. Not noticed it before.

I was wondering whether rather than run it from the default.xbe via File Explorer as described it could be made to appear as an UnleashX App. Is there some editing of the Config.xml and/or Item.xml that can be done to enable this?

I know from my own experiments you can't just put something in the Apps folder and expect to appear as an app.  

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »

you could make a shortcut for it. but i did not want it to be in the apps because it is not a toy/game..

there is quite a lot of referencing file locations as well so if it moves from E:\hexins alot of things will stop working..

I would think that the best way to add it to a menu is to make a shortcut to the xbe like you do with xbmc.
But i think it is better hidden away in E: like it is so friends/family who are using the xbox dont accidentaly find it and flash ind bios to your aladin mod chip on your 1.6 xbox or delete your softmod or someting els that people manage to do when you leave them alone for 10 minutes.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Black Screen Please Help
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »

That's OK because I would never let anyone near my Xboxes or at least not the ones I have with unprotected things like ConfigMagic, AID and other potentially dangerous apps.

Spookily enough I found the Xbox XBE shortcut maker only today as I intend to make XBMC the main dash on one of my Xboxes sometime. So I'll play around with that and HeXEn HDD and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice,