xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legal Consequences  (Read 96 times)

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« on: July 14, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »

I heard a story about a guy selling pre-modded xboxes loaded with games who went to jail.  This could be a myth, I'm not sure.  

Aside from idiots like that, I was wondering if anyone has been prosecuted for possessing bioses?  Pirated games (on media or HDD)?  Roms?  

I'm not endorsing piracy, just curious.

Synops

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 12:45:00 AM »

well up here in canada, its not illigal to own them, its illigal to sell them.  i think, i dont remember, just dont sell it and your fine.

br0w

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »

its already been stated by MS that they will not be chasing after kids with modded xbox's. its not MS, its the DMCA, hacked bios's contian MS code, thus making it illegal. but some cop isnt going to just run into your house and arrest you for having a mod box. if that happened out jails would be overflowing. just make sure you dont sell modded xbox's with 80 games pre-loaded, and try not to sell one with a pre-flashed bios.

deathx88

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »

muhaha.gif

tongue.gif

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 12:56:00 AM »

I'm the most curious about roms?  Has anyone heard of someone getting prosecuting for having copious amounts of them?

I guess this question applies to more than xbox modders ...

Chancer

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 05:35:00 AM »

having copious amounts of them

you sound to me like someone who is a bit afraid of the law finding out what you have.

Soullar

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 06:20:00 AM »

Same goes for the Netherlands. (see Chancer's post)

Winchy

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 06:30:00 AM »

tongue.gif

They probably wouldn't even know what they were for.

I see it as, if you can mod a car to make it better, why not mod an xbox to make it better?

And the guy that got his hard drives, pcs, and xboxs taken from him, and had to do community service and pay £750, he was selling the xboxs with like 80 games on them...

Unless you're doing anything like that, I doubt you'll get caught with anything.

jjjjlong

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(ClintiePoo @ Jul 14 2005, 02:52 AM)
I heard a story about a guy selling pre-modded xboxes loaded with games who went to jail.  This could be a myth, I'm not sure. 

Winchy

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 06:37:00 AM »

You shouldn't be discussing piracy issues you know. But I can see why you said about it...

It's good that you've stopped though.

So they had a list of what you've downloaded, then you stopped... did they not take things further, or contact you again?

blagmaster

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 06:39:00 AM »

Aan de andere kant (bij de downloader) is er *wel* een uitzondering in de wet. Iedereen mag een zogeheten thuiskopie maken, mits die maar niet verder verspreid wordt. En dat mag ook zonder dat je het origineel gekocht hebt. Met andere woorden, het downloaden van een werk via een file sharing netwerk te zien is als een thuiskopie, mits de persoon die het werk downloadt dit maar aan niemand anders geeft.

http://www.iusmentis...haring/privacy/

It says: The downloader doesnt break the law(as long as he is not sharing), everyone can have a copy, even if he/she doesnt have the original.

Winchy

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 06:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(blagmaster @ Jul 14 2005, 02:50 PM)
It says: The downloader doesnt break the law(as long as he is not sharing), everyone can have a copy, even if he/she doesnt have the original.

Soullar

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(blagmaster @ Jul 14 2005, 02:50 PM)
Dunno about chipping ...

View Post

blagmaster

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »

Brein...Brein is a Joke, I remember a few mounth ago ithey made up a story about a guy selling copied movies that caught and prosecuted, it was proven the guy didnt even exist and they made up the whole story.

And look at 2ehands.nl or search for xbox on www.speurders.nl, full of modders and people selling game-backups for 3 euro.

I even know kids of Officiers van Justitie(sorry, dont know the name for it in English) that download mp3's/movies and their parents know about it.

Soullar

• Archived User
Legal Consequences
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »

Yes ... and the 'auteurswet' (i.e. Dutch intellectual property law) is a joke also, right? Somehow I knew this comment was coming. Wake up.

Edit : The link was just to provide some background info, including a direct link to Dutch law and doesn't say anything about Stg. Brein.. Those 2 are barely related.
Pages: [1] 2