xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Blank Flash Menu  (Read 959 times)

Joes2Silly

• Archived User
Blank Flash Menu
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »

Just upgraded my hard drive to a 500 GB and formatted it using the correct clusters. However, I went to load up a patched version of iND bios onto my Xenium Gold chip and the flash menu showed up blank! I think this is a issue with the hard drive, but what should I do to fix it?

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Blank Flash Menu
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joes2Silly @ Aug 9 2011, 09:17 PM) View Post

Just upgraded my hard drive to a 500 GB and formatted it using the correct clusters. However, I went to load up a patched version of iND bios onto my Xenium Gold chip and the flash menu showed up blank! I think this is a issue with the hard drive, but what should I do to fix it?

i think i read some where "possibly one of heimdalls posts" that it occasionaly takes more than 1 attempt to format the drives correctly with xbpartitioner.

---EDIT---
I found the post i was thinking about here is a quote.

QUOTE(heimdall)

Just make sure you format the new disk with XBPartitioner 1.1, and check the cluster size with Evox once it's done. You can format it as you wish - just run it, then press A to cycle between the standard layouts:

- F up to 137GB - no G
- All F
- F up to 137GB - remainder in G
- F:G 50:50.

Once you have selected your preferred layout, press Start to write the partition table to the disk, or press Back twice to quit. Note that you'll lose all data on F and G.

Once you've done that you'll need to check the cluster size - you need 16kB for partitions up to 256GB, 32kB for 256-512GB, and 64kB for partitions 512-1024GB. Fire up Evox as an application, edit the skin / config so you can see the free space on F and G, then FTP a 1 byte file to the F and G partitions. The drop in free space is the cluster size.

There is a small glitch with the way XBPartioner 1.1 works. Because the drive was previously formatted and was the same size then XBPartitioner 1.1 sometimes doesn't reformat with the right cluster size. So, if the cluster size is too low then then you need to run XBPartitioner 1.1 and reformat the problem partition again twice. Make the problem partition smaller (press D-pad left, or right, can't remember which), reformat, then start XBPartitioner again and make the partition bigger again, and reformat. Check again with the 1 byte file, just to be certain that you now have 32k clusters.

Joes2Silly

• Archived User
Blank Flash Menu
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »

I tested it in EvolutionX and I was pretty sure it was working correctly. Better double check cuz I just copied about 100 xbox games to the hard drive  blink.gif

Joes2Silly

• Archived User
Blank Flash Menu
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »

I formatted it about 3 times with XBPartitioner and I cannot get my hard drive to even be recognized in the Xenium OS! Should I just try a different hard drive?

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Blank Flash Menu
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joes2Silly @ Aug 11 2011, 10:59 PM) View Post

I formatted it about 3 times with XBPartitioner and I cannot get my hard drive to even be recognized in the Xenium OS! Should I just try a different hard drive?

I have no idea sad.gif

I only have expirience with TSOP flashing and i just use hexen. so no patched versions of bisoses just what i get with hexen.

Wish i could help.

Joes2Silly

• Archived User
Blank Flash Menu
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »

I think its a problem with the way that the Xenium OS is set up. I put a stock xbox HD in the xbox and it read the partitions fine. So I put my spare 500 GB hard drive in and I had the same problem as before. Guess I'll just live with it for now.