xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Looking To Install Larger Hd And An Alt Dash With An Old Xecuter Chipp  (Read 636 times)

browll

• Archived User

hi guys. i been running my xbox with an old xecuter chip fr a number of years (2002ish) and always ran games from dvd using the msdashboard.
 the problem is recently i'm becomming more concerned about my drives laser. it's old and it's had a pounding over the years so i figure maybe it's time to upgrade the hd and get alt dashboard on there. the problem is i don't know what chip i have other than it's an xecuter (probably old one possibly pre v2) i don't know if there is way to access a menu for the chip on my xbox or even if there is an alternative dash on my box but i don't know how to boot it. i heard some people say you can access evox by holding the reset button or L,R,black and white but none these combos worked for me. i assume then that theres probably no evox on there and no menu either for the old xecuters.
 auto installer dx seems like a good program for setting up a new hard drive and installing applications but will the old chips support a 160gb hard drive or not?
 i also heard that if i don't back up files from my original xbox drive then it could be bricked. is this the case from just taking the drive out and swapping for another drive? i was hoping if i did something wrong with the new drive i could just place my original hd into the console and lose nothing.
 if i need to backup files from my drive how do i do that without an alternative dash installed?
is there any dash which can be booted temporary from dvd so i can create ftp and backup files to my pc?
the auto installer dx tutorial seems very simple indeed but then theres people talking about bricking the xbox which makes me nervious.
 would love to know what verson chip i have and if there is already evox on my console which  never knew how to access or even a chip menu. it's a shame i purchased my consle pre modded and the guy never gave me any info and more fool me for not asking i guess.
 sorry for the long post guys. any help would be awesome though.