xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Xbox Hot Swap Evox/install Guide - Updated!  (Read 755 times)

Tsurani

Xbox Hot Swap Evox/install Guide - Updated!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 10:09:31 AM »

cool thanx for updating the guide man. i dont mind if ppl use my guide an edit it aslong as every can get this exploit to work smile.gif

well im glad to hear that ppl have had success with my guide (and the updated version that this guy wrote for us) its pretty cool to see evryone getting there xbox's modded without having to buy stuff.
ok cya all round

flashram

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 10:10:23 AM »

I'm extremely new to this, but I gave it a shot last night.  I guess I fell somewhere between success and failure, when I rebooted the xbox it came up with a black screen and some small white text giving the website to the xbox linux page, and that was it.  Oh, and the light flashed red.  I'm going to restore the system partition tonight and give it another shot.. Anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong?

link385

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 10:55:11 AM »

do i need to wait for the hd to stop spining?
i'm waiting for more than 20 minutes but it don't stop spining sad.gif  

Fire_-=

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 12:58:14 PM »

If i just f***ed up the xboxdash file and get the multiple languages error, coul i use this trick to put the damm**d file on the hd or the xbox just dont unlock it since it doesnt show the dashboard

STKD

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2003, 01:52:21 PM »

Okay - I'm by no means anywhere close to an expert so bear in mind I'm 100% guessing here. Most of these problems may be solved through some intense hunting around the boards if I can't help. And again let me stress I would highly recommend trying just the audio exploit to start with, as it is much less fatal if you do something wrong.

flashram: not sure but it sounds like you might not have an actual full Xbox Linux distro copied onto your Xbox (or possibly if you do, it could be in the wrong location)..? Possibly try one of the Xbox-CDRW-bootable Linux distro's from the Xbox Linux Project and see if that runs at least.
link385: Honestly not sure on that one. If it's only running as far as the dashboard it should power down after 5-10 minutes afaik. Can't think why it would be spinning if there's nothing going on, sorry.
Fire_-=: I'm honestly not sure if you can access the Xbox HDD if you messed up the dashboard file since I got through it okay myself. You could try the unfortunately-named "Newbie chat" board as people seem to be quite helpful at this kind of problem in there.

fantom

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2003, 05:10:01 PM »

OK i was able to do this and load evox on boot but when I try and goto the msdashboard it gives me a green text error that my xbox is damaged. Do I need to install a newer dash ?

indomitable

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2003, 07:19:02 PM »

i also got a error 21 xbox needs service,  you said this could be fixed by booting into a game? i put a game in and nothing happens. Does it have to be a live game or what? i need to know how to unlock the drive agian so i can restore it!!  

SkyFire360

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2003, 07:38:13 PM »

My status:

The Swap trick works great, thanks for the down-to-earth/n00bie-friendsly version

Now here's my problem: I have the all the requirements with regards to bios and dashboard, and have inserted the bert.xtf & snuff..gus.txt files into the font directory.

The readme file that came with the dist said that you had to rename them XBox Book.xtf & Xbox.xtf respectively.  I have tried both ways, and end up having the XBox boot, get the giant x, then the next screen flickers and it reboots.  Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

beerbaron

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2003, 08:45:07 PM »

(yet another "what am I doing wrong" reply)

I got the Bert_is_Cheating_on_Ernie_-_The_Pheonix_Project.rar off of DC++.

I followed the instructions and it booted to some linux distro.

My guess it the defult.xbe that came with the rar is linux.

So I downloaded the latest evox, renamed it default.xbe, configed the evox.ini, and copied over the old defult.xbe

Now it boots to the "error 21" screen.

My question is this: Should any evox xbe work or is there a special one needed when using the font exploit?

Someone was asking about this:
I was able to boot up a game disc (Hunter the Reckoning) and then perfrom the IDE cable swap.
I didn't wait for any set amount of time, I just put my ear to the HD and listened to see if it wasn't seeking.
I had to do the "pause at boot" trick on my PC, it wouldn't work if I had the IDE cable connected before powering on the PC. And I configured my bios to not auto detect the drive, I set it to "none". HDDriver was then able to see the drive (though windows explorer did not).

luther349

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2003, 10:44:00 PM »

xp sees the drive but hd-driver dont talk abought being pissed off right now pice of shit program.

xilicio

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2003, 11:25:12 PM »

Man if this work I would be damn happy `cause I havent got 007/MechAssault..and no mem card also.
I will try out this and I`ll report.
I think i have met the requirements  tongue.gif
Windows XP+SP1
Xbox Kernel 4034
MS Dashboard 4092

do I really need .NET?  unsure.gif

Thanx for this tutorial anyway..I hope I dont screw up

STKD

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2003, 12:40:45 AM »

QUOTE (luther349 @ Jul 9 2003, 08:44 AM)
xp sees the drive but hd-driver dont talk abought being pissed off right now pice of shit program.

If you're going to insult other people's work, I assume you can do better. Feel free to write one yourself. Oh, wait... dry.gif

xilico - as long as you have SP1 installed it should work just fine. Theoretically anyway.

I'm going to add the "pause when booting" section back in later as an alternate method if it doesn't work when powering on *after* the IDE cable has been swapped. Damn PC's and their zillion BIOS versions and hardware configurations... unfortunately let me just state I am probably *not* the person to ask when it comes to the font exploit as a ) there are a dozen or so variants of it out there right now (many of which are too risky as far as I'm concerned b ) The vague differences between Xbox versions, combined with different kernel and dashboard combo's mean these exploits are extremely temperamental and c ) personally I've only used the audio exploit.

xilicio

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2003, 02:15:45 AM »

I know audio mode is the safe one to use but..would I have any advantages by using the font mode?
Also will Kernel 4034 work? I have Dashboard 4092 though..

Minja

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2003, 05:24:38 AM »

Can I upgrade to a larger drive at the same time?  In other words, once I removed the orginal HDD from the XBOX and installed it on the PC, backed it up to the PC, then can I just put the orginal HDD away in storage?  What do I do with the new larger HDD at that stage???

Many thanks!

undish

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2003, 05:43:30 AM »

I think I can help a few guys over there with my methode : no use of HDD-driver !!!!!  biggrin.gif
But, because everything's not perfect, you must have a few other things....   wink.gif

***I assume you've already read the first tutorial of this thread so I won't go into details!!!***

1) First of all : find someone with an already modded Xbox . The other little thing is that he MUST have the same "original" HDD than yours .
If he used it for other things than "official Xbox", you need to prepare it as an original (I found a bootCD that can do it in a few seconds!! ) . Don't forget to activate the Xbox Live dashboard if it's not done yet (with a modded xbox, you don't need an original  cool.gif ) . And don't lock/unlock the HDD, it will be easier after.

2) Once you've prepared his xbox HDD as an original and up-to-date one you've got to boot on an evox CD and get linked with your computer . From your computer, access to the HDD to make the changes (copy the default.xbe, rename the .xtf from the font directory and copy bert and ernie) .

3) Test the modifications on the modded xbox : it should boot on evox (or linux, depend of the default.xbe you copied) from the HDD (verify you've removed the Evox CD !!!) . If it doesn't : retry from the beggining  tongue.gif

4) get your unmodded box near your computer and turn it on so the HDD get unlocked .
!!!!! I noticed one thing : I tried for a moment to hot swap the HDD, it was recognize by the BIOS but I couldn't acces to it from ghost . I had 1 idea : maybe the Xbox was on the "set time" screen when I unplugged the HDD and it doesn't liked it, so I tried to just push A button a few minutes before swapping the drive and : It worked !!!!! So, if you don't have a screen near your comp to check, just push the button in case of.....  blink.gif

5)Put the HDD "modded and unlocked" and your "new" HDD in the computer (hot swap trick)

6)boot from a ghost 2003 CD

7) run ghost "ghost /IR"  (to make it copy the disk bit by bit)

8) in less than 5 minutes you've got your new driver still locked and ready to run with the exploit installed !!!!

This seems really long to do but it's not .
I have a few xbox HDD spare so I made ghost images of "exploit installed" HDD for every model I founded . now, I just have to open the new xbox, hot swap the HDD and boot from ghost CD to copy the image to the disk .
I tried this method with 4 different new xboxs : it always worked...

Think about making a ghost image of a "new" HDD first in case of problem.....

I hope it was clear enough and sorry for the bad english....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 15 queries.