xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My Canada-themed Xbox  (Read 501 times)

Mattybass

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »

Well, it's underway! MY Canada-themed Xbox is in it's first stages. I'm waiting to softmod it with Krayzie's Ndure Installer hack, but I need to wait till I get my Xbox to USB connector. In the meantime, I've polished the jewel, and made an Xbox to USB dongle (pics at bottom) to use my controller on the PC.

I'm basically just doing things to teach myself different techniques, and I'm uber bored till I can softmod. So I will start with aesthetics while I wait.

By the way, it isn't a PC mod but an Xbox is very similar to a PC, does it still count? Cool

I haven't taken too many "in the works" pictures because I'm lazy, but after the want list I'll post pics of what I've done so far, nothing too drastic with school taking up all my time.

Red and White paintscheme (given)
Window Mod in top of Xbox
Lighted Jewel, Red of course Smile (LEDs or cathode, still deciding)
4 Controllers painted to color scheme (over time)
Painted Harddrive and DVD-ROM ???
LEDs in all controller ports
Red and White Underglow
Two 80mm fans with red and white cathodes.
DVD + HDD Window ???

Now for the internals:

Replace hdd with new 250 GB hdd
Softmod w/ Krayzie's Ndure Installer (Waiting for Xbox -> USB dongle.
New Dash (reccomendations?)
Hide IDE cable

I hope you guys will help me through, I'm fairly new although reading all sorts of topics and shit on Xbox Scene has really taught me a lot!

Now for pictures:

1) Here is the top of the Xbox when I first started cutting it out.

IPB Image

2) The hole near completion with my early early boithday present.

IPB Image

3) The lid and my brand new cordless Dremel which happens to be amazing!  biggrin.gif
IPB Image

4) Finished! Excuse the dirty cover...

IPB Image

5) My Jewel. Excuse the smudges, it isn't scratched unless you take a picture with a flash  :roll:

IPB Image

6) A mod my dad helped me with, he's really good at soldering stuff! That is a USB coming out the top, picture got cut off. It is fully functioning on my computer!

IPB Image

I have a few more little projects to do while waiting for my modified dongle to arrive. Here's the top of a controller I painted red. That hole lights up, but it isn't the actual X. I have an Xbox "X" logo i cut out of cardboard that goes between that hole and the jewel, it just isn't on there.

IPB Image

I have a full day off school today and nothing to do. What do you guys reccomend i do on my xbox today?

alexpb1

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »

lol PA day before the march break...

Looks nice so far.

I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'd love to have a canada-themed xbox.

Mattybass

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »

hey thanks for the idea Okkay! I was actually thinking about cutting a window today and maybe i'll etch a maple leaf into the acrylic, and if I get some sort of light to hit it the maple leaf will light up!  biggrin.gif

Anyway I have a question about cutting a window. I wanna cut one in the bottom left corner of the giant x on the top, but won't it just be showing the boring DVD rom? like its having a bedroom window face a wall. I gotta go look at some cases to see what people did. I guess if I have LEDs lighting up the maple leaf etching it won't be so bad.  smile.gif

Maertz

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »

keep up the good work. cant wait to see it finished.

Mattybass

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »

ya, i was looking on ratemyxbox at the different xbox's and noticed people doing that. I will do that later today if i have the time. Today, I'm cutting my window in the top of the xbox.  biggrin.gif  Here is a picture of my planned route. I'm gonna use a Dremel cutting wheel to do the job, precise, then sand it down with the drum sander bit.

IPB Image

IPB Image

In picture 2 you can see the pencil outline i made, I have a large stencil with like 40 different sized circles that I'll use as templates to round off the corners. Hopefully that should work

Mattybass

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »

I redid that template, the window size was a little small so i made it a bit bigger and also rounded off the corners to the best of my ability. Here is a shot. Do you think that it's too close to the edge?

IPB Image

EDIT: I took the bottom edge to the inside line so it lines up with the piece of plastic that juts out underneath the top, but all the other lines are on the outside. the inside lines are the previous outline. it seemed redundant posting another pic (and a lot more work) so i'm just telling you what i did. I think I'm ready to cut that beast.  biggrin.gif

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »

Looking good. Was going to say you should use a craft knife to mark out your guide lines instead of pencil. That way you can't rub them off while your cutting + it will also give you a really sharp edge finish.

QUOTE(crzyimage @ Mar 10 2006, 08:03 PM) View Post

use a maple leaf for the DVD window, and i hate canada, there way to snobbish for such a weak country

And I hate retards like you.

d00msday_jesus

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

people hate americans because of people like you

Mattybass

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

buddy, I could give a flying fuck if you hate Canada, but you don't have to fuckin tell everyone. You can't tell me Americans don't constantly joke about Canada. Try to suck it up. We even make jokes about ourselves, unlike you Americans. And it isn't like every Canadian is bad, very few are. Better hope the higher up mods don't see your posts. A few of them happen to be from Saskatchewan and Toronto... Uh oh!!  rolleyes.gif

ANYWAYS...

I went and cut the window. I ended up not even using a cutting wheel, but a carbide drill-bit-looking thing. I've used it to cut all things before, easier than a wheel in my opinion. I sanded down the edges and they're pretty straight. The corners on one side need to be more flattened, but that's nothing a little sanding can't help. Here's a pic. Sorry its a bit blurry. I plan to go back and sand it with sandpaper to get it smooth and flat, take off the edge. It's gonna be covered in rubber trim anyway which I'm gonna pick up tonite. I have a huge piece of plexiglass I'll cut and place underneath tonite.

IPB Image

Since I will probly take crzyimage's advice and stick the etching in the DVD-ROM which i was thinking abour earlier, will the top plexi distort it at all? That is if it's kept clean? Also, I need a way to light it so you see the etching better...

rootofallevil

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »

it wont distort it if you put LEDS to light it up smile.gif Nice Canad1n  Box .

WHERES YOUR HOCKEY NOW CANADA?

onslaught_789

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »

listen guys we get the point americans hate canadians,canadians hate americans big deal im british and as such i dont care but i am pissed that the americans cant point their guns forward in a warzone(highly trained my ass)and usually end up killing more of their allies than the enemysimple figures:one week during the w.o.t american troops killed 53 people of those 53 21 of them were the terrorists(or so they say) the rest of them were civilians and british troops.......

i could go on longer but i dont want to crap this guys thread more than i already have

back on topic.....
the clear jewel and the window look good but i.m.o there are to many boxes that look like that but its your box

as for etching the plexi on the dvd lid it would most likely distort it through 2 pieces so i would recommend that you just etch the top piece and light it up with some leds

Mattybass

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »

i know it is generic, but I'm pretty new to this. I wanted to get examples from people but I guess I should have at least made my own sort of shape. When Ig et better I plan to make an Xbox in a PC case. Oh well, there's still lots of room to do my own thing on this box.

Ya I still think etching the top would be better too.

speed_racer88

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »

looking good so far, the dvd window looks very smooth. just make sure that you take your time on the paint job, nothing ruins an xbox more than a bad paint job.

P.S. good to see another albertan on here, my brother and sister have a PD day today to, you wouldn't happen to be from calgary would you? you don't have to answer that if you don't want to.

Mattybass

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

hehe, gotta love the catholic schoolboard. PD days are like every friday man.

no, i'm actually from St. Albert, just north of Edmonton. So boring here, I'd like to move to Calgary. Very cool place!  biggrin.gif

m0dhe@d

• Archived User
My Canada-themed Xbox
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

good work dude. what are you doing for paint and leds?

oh and all americans dont hate canadians andim sure all canadians dont hate americans. i love canadians its easy to smuggle beer in from your country. i hate not being 21 but my friends are 18. cheers!!! beerchug.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3