xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ruby Red Rainbow S Controller Case Review  (Read 163 times)

brahm2

• Archived User
Ruby Red Rainbow S Controller Case Review
« on: November 03, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »

I was very excited when I got home today.. my review sample of limtk55's Ruby Red Rainbow S-Controller Case has arrived! smile.gif

First, thanks to limtk55 for sending me this sample to review in the first place. Product review isn't something I get to do all the time, so it was a neat oppurtunity for me, and very generous of him!

--------------

My replacement controller case was packaged very well, in a large layer of bubble wrap and a cardboard box. Apparantly the final product will come professionally packaged, see this thread for details. My review sample also shipped before e-linksoft's custom S-Controller Jewels were ready - in this review I used one of my leftover Xbox-Scene jewels.

When I first opened the package, I was suprised at the quality. I'd seen the pictures, but these cases look EXACTLY like original MS cases.
user posted image
Additional image 1 Additional Image 2 MEGA Size

One you've got it in your hands it feels exactly like the real thing. The inside is identical to the original cases, down to the symbols.
user posted image
MEGA Size

My package included the front piece, back piece, and memory card/headset piece. Final versions will ship with a custom silver jewel and an E-linksoft sticker.

Back piece.
user posted image

Headset piece clipped onto the controller PCB.
user posted image

Installation is SUPER EASY. If you can use a screwdriver, you can usccesfully swap these cases. The only remotely tricky part is putting the two halves of the controller back together (anyone who has ever taken a controller apart knows about how the Start/Back buttons love to fall out of place, and how the rumblers love to get in the way of the case closing). And if you can't figure it out yourself, there is a complete install manual on the website. Here is a picture of the D-pad swapped, and my Xbox-Scene jewel attached.
user posted image

Here's a pic of the two halves stuck together, before being screwed together.
user posted image

Example of the one-to-one detail of these cases to the originals (click image for zoom!)
user posted image

Done! Easy as pie smile.gif
user posted image

Shot of the back, since I don't have many others
user posted image

Personally I think these controller cases are great! They are a perfect fit, and feel like the original. You would not know if you were playing with one in the dark unless you added some wicked LED mods, which, unfortunatley, I did not have time to do!

Pros
+ Price. When you think about it, 15 bucks plus shipping isn't so bad for such a sweet product. The quality shows that a lot of work has gone into these.
+ Uniqueness/Cool Factor - show your buddies a controller color that they have never seen before! I think it's great to have a stock-looking mod that is still eye-catching.
+ Ease of installation. All you need is a screwdriver. No soldering required, unless you wanted to install some extra LEDs.
+ Good packaging, reasonable shipping times. My package took just slightly longer than it should've to arrive, but I think I can attribute that to my terrible luck with shipping and the post office.

Cons
- What to do with the old controller case? Seems like a waste to throw it out, and there isn't really a market for used black S-controller cases.

Conclusion
It's hard to say what's already been said, but once you get one of these in your hands it's hard not to appreciate how cool they look. I can't wait till a couple of you guys pick one or two up and start making some sweet LED mods. I'd like to thank e-linksoft for giving me the chance to review their product, and I'd like to say that if you were unsure about replacement cases, don't hesitate because these ones are high quality!

Official Website: http://www.e-linksof...s_rainbow_.html
Also see limtk55's thread for updates and stuff:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=290477

beerchug.gif

Gremlin03

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 01:07:00 AM »

Now that is a sick case once i get some more 'S' controllers i gotta get me some of these

esc1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 06:57:00 AM »

Well I'm almost tempted to buy one, but damn that website looks so unprofessional.  Makes me weary of handing out my cc number.   rolleyes.gif

BobBrkersMyHero

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

dang it those things are awesome...put some red leds in it and show us some pictures  wink.gif

esc1

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »

On the site I see a pic in which the inside of the controller is exposed in the expansion slots.  Is this one like that?

notsodiseased

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (esc1 @ Nov 3 2004, 04:00 PM)
Well I'm almost tempted to buy one, but damn that website looks so unprofessional.  Makes me weary of handing out my cc number.   rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same exact thing. I want 4 or 5 but man that site looks terrible.

But if brahm says its cool then...

chris_kalan

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »

I say buy these controllrs as fast as you can.  The reason is that soon MS will pick up on the fact that they have used their logo and it is illegal to do so.  If you want these cases, buy them now before they are legally pulled from the site.

Sord_Fish

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (fire2501 @ Nov 4 2004, 01:02 AM)
i dont see the ms logo anywhere??? and i think someone that put the time and money into creating these would make sure they are legal??

says it on the memory card/headset piece.

I'd like one but  i dont have an s-controller (dont like the thumb sticks)
and i bet shipping to the uk will be dear   sad.gif

jacksparrow

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »

user posted image

is it legal to have that there, because they dont have consent from MS to use its name.

very nice controller tho, i love it!! i cant wait for the chrome or smoke cases, those will be my favorite.  great pics, nice review brahm2!!

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »

The site is secure and limtk55 is a reputable BSTer.. I don't know if anyone remembers my controller jewel website, but it looked like ass but it was still functional smile.gif

esc1 - no, the controllers do note have that "hole". The are exactly like the original cases, except clear & cool! I don't know why that one picture on the website is different.

edit for grammar

Poom

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

These look excellent. I cant wait for them to be about in the UK. I sent limtk55 a PM about making him a website or e-shop free of charge but have had no reply sad.gif

halofreak007

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »

with 6 controllers im probally gonna get one and great review brahm2  cool.gif

edit: spelling and brahm do u have any of those s controller xbox-scene jewels anymore?

xboxxenon

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 05:58:00 PM »

well Brahm...i found out the hard way that you dont like Pepsi.... i wish i would of know before i posted my pepsibox thread  sad.gif

nice review by the way   smile.gif

chris_kalan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (jacksparrow @ Nov 4 2004, 01:12 AM)
user posted image

is it legal to have that there, because they dont have consent from MS to use its name.

very nice controller tho, i love it!! i cant wait for the chrome or smoke cases, those will be my favorite.  great pics, nice review brahm2!!

Actually, because they do not have consent, it is ILLEGAL.

Maybe you just spelled it wrong, that's what it looks like, cuz otherwise your sentence make no sense.  LOL.

Mick Garvey

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »

Dude Limtk55 I think i bidded on one of your cases on ebay LOL! Do you think you could retract my bid and could i purchase one from you for a flat 15 bucks? The user name i bidded with is camelisin (dont even ask) (well alright its my moms screenname but thats all you need to know! lol) . Thanks. Oh and are the chrome ones you have painted? I though I saw a place where you could get these exact same cases but min order was 500 so thats where im guessing you got yours if your not the one who was selling them in the first place. Anyway just PM me and we can work it out lol!
Pages: [1] 2 3