xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hmmm, I Think I Found A New Mod, I Need  (Read 361 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Hmmm, I Think I Found A New Mod, I Need
« on: March 23, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »

ok, first off, i must stress that i have a clear comp case, so room isnt to big of an issue for this mod, but lets get on with it

first, ill let you guess what im thinking by listing my supplies below

Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers
mp3 player
..................................anyone??

well ok, here it is

i want to take the speakers (including the sub woofer if its at all possible) and hook them up in my comp case, and then have my mp3 player hooked up internally (buy extend the usb port and controls so i can reach them) becuase i always take the speakers or mp3 with my xbox so i can listen to music in the background, so yes this mod does have a use

and as for power, id just split the power cord (its a regular wall outlet cord, 2 prong) and split the power with the 2 wires coming in from the psu power plug, so i got that covered

i figure the hardest part will be mounting (the 2 small speakers ill mount probably on top, and the sub will probably go on the side)
but the sub seems like itd be a bitch, as to i dont know how big it is, and i dont know what to do to port it and keep it (if its possible) from fucking up the xbox

but thats what your all for, suggestions and opinions  beerchug.gif

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

well, the speakers im not worried bout, ill have holes in the case and ill leave the screens on em

the subwoofer seems like it will be a bitch, the only good thing is its really small, and ill find a way to sheild it
but if i mount it on the side window, as long as the window is screwed on tight it wont break it through vibrations will it?

UndercoverPunker

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »

I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but if you take the subwoofer out of it's enclosure, it WILL sound like ass, those little subwoofers only work because they are tuned to that sub... I honestly think it wouldn't be worth the time/money/effort to do this, but if you do do it, and make it function right, I'll be very impressed with it...

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 02:11:00 PM »

well, whats the difference between in the case and out of it, the only thing that will be missing is the port, but thats a fraction of the sound, the rest come out of the speaker......

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »

ok, i knew it would, and the sub isnt a real big for me, i know ill still get some sub from it, but i dont need alot

the speakers themselves r the only thing im questioning, and i need a good answer on this, not just, yea theyll suck dick, but i need suggestions on how to make it not suck dick

will the speakers (granted im not gonna run this at high volume, just low or medium levels) sound like complete shit, will they lose some quality, how much quality....and the likes???

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

umm, i dont know, what would it look like?

and there altec lansing comp speakers, and there really powerful, if i turn them up all the way and putthem away from were im walking, i can hear them 1/4 a mile down my friends road at night
and there really clear at low levels

but heres how im mounting them....

the sub is going in the back where my 80mm fan was gonna go, and im gonan use small spacers to part it far enough from the hole so it can expand and contract
(i have another 80mm fan in the front, so 1 should be enough)

the 2 speakers are gonna go on top, and since im afraid drilling 2 big 2" holes in acrylic will crack it, im gonna drill like 1/8" holes (6 or 7 per speaker ) to give the sound places to go out (i also figure it will help to deflect the sound into a straight line when it leaves the case, but i could be wrong)

and thats basically how its gonan be

a reminder, im not looking for high power, really aswome sound, just good enough so i have background music when i play halo online, or other games where i need something else in the background

beerchug.gif

UndercoverPunker

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »

well the regular speakers will sound how they normally sound, but if you're not going to put the sub in a custom built very well tuned enclosure you might as well scrap it...  I don't think you're quite grasping just how bad that sub will sound when you eliminate the tuned enclosure...

if you don't believe me ask Jer what he thinks...

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 02:27:00 AM »

well, im gald u said the speakers part, so the speakers wont sound anyworse, or if they do, it wont be real noticable??

second, the sub woofer i understand it needs that enclosure, but all it basically does is expand and contract fast enough to produce really low and heavy sound waves, and im not going for good subbage here, but im still trying to see why it will sound like complete shit and not sound just ok, becuase all the speaker was doing in my case it was in was projecting out, and beleive me, this case it was in had no design to it to help the subs sound, it wasnt even magnetically sheilded  jester.gif

the only thing i could see that would be a problem is there being no port, but theres plenty of holes on this case to allow the expansion and contraction of the air around the sub

i guess im just stubborn and wish/think i know what im talking bout  rolleyes.gif  jester.gif

beerchug.gif

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »

bump, so undercover, in ur expert opinion, ud say id lose more then id gain fi i hooked up the sub, but that the speakers being hooked up will be fine?

thefatness

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »

that will be cool man wink.gif

sk8phreak88

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »

raptor, if you take that sub out it will sound like ass. they have them incases so it can get the air stuff right. trustme, if you have a car sub take it out the box and try it.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »

ok, so no go on the sub?

but the speakers themselves will be ok right?

and yea, i was kinda leaning towards no sub ne ways cuase of the virbations, and it was taking up a fan hole  dry.gif

thanks for ur help, and as of right now im carfeully drilling small holes throught the top so the sound from the speakers can get out

sk8phreak88

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »

yeah, the speakers will work fine but sub wont at all, lets see some pics as you go man.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

this should be done tonight, but i wont have power till tomorrow to run it

beerchug.gif

UndercoverPunker

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 07:34:00 PM »

wink.gif , so I don't think you'll be getting any noticable bass outta them, but the rest of it sounds good, I also have another question, Why aren't you just playing your MP3's off of your box through XBMC?  And I agree progress pics!!! biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 4