xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Upgrading Xbox Hdd. Problems With Chimp To Exchange Hdd's  (Read 440 times)

Mad Hatz

• Archived User
Upgrading Xbox Hdd. Problems With Chimp To Exchange Hdd's
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »

Hi, I have an original xbox and I wanted to use an upgraded hard drive.

I believe the xbox is v1.1 at least that is what Live Info Beta 3 from Yoshihiro has told me from my eeprom backup. Well I checked the Hard Drive Compatibility chart and it said my newer 80gb I was able to use. It is a Samsung SP0802N.

Well anyways I downloaded a program and FTP'ed it to my xbox. It is called Chimp 2618 I believe. It said it could make a backup of my original hdd and copy it over. I moved the .cfg file to root of E:/ and I placed all other files in the Apps folder like suggested.

When I boot to dash I get a new program called Lpatx under my apps folder like its supposed to I assume. So anyways I boot that and it goes to a blue screen that reads Gentoox Loader (XBE) v6.07. My xbox either seems like it freezes and does christmas lights at this point. and in some other instances I have had it say  Fatx and some other options usually I cannot scroll over past 1 or two fo them before a lockup or freeze.  But in this instance I hit A button and I get this

The status on the screen says:
Booting ...

Boot: Loading kernel '/Apps/chimp2618/linux265'... [ok]
Boot: Loading init '/Apps/chimp2618/initrd.gz'... [ok]

in this instance and in this time I hot swap the IDE from my dvd to my other HDD while using a Y adapter for SATA to power both drives.

Im not sure what I am doing wrong but I am stuck at this point. I have tried not using a component cable as I have done some research here and other sites and they have asked are you using one. I have tried renaming the chimp folder to lpatx with no avail. I have also tried swapping ide cable to the new hdd right from dash or from the Chimp program when it gets to the Blue Gentoox screen.

I have also tried doing the swap during the booting screen after it passes the second boot sequence. Right after that happens it always says
Starting... and I get just red lights on my xbox as if it was frozen and I have let it sit there for awhile.

I have ConfigMagic on the xbox too. I dunno if that will work. It is running UnleashX.

This post has been edited by Mad Hatz: Oct 24 2012, 02:07 AM

ldotsfan

• Archived User

Mad Hatz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »

I also had tried the LUD ISO.  I cant seem to get past the Starting screen it just makes me xbox show a red light around front.  And it seems to just sit there and do nothing.  Does it need to be burned to DVD or CD.  I have it on a cd-r.  

Maybe my Samsung HDD just doesn't work maybe that's why xbox is crashing/freezing. But im pretty sure it does work though.  I will keep trying.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »

xbox dvd rom only work with certain media. Use DVD-R, not DVD+R. CD-R for most dvd rom won't work.

Mad Hatz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:20:00 PM »

I was finally able to get to the Linux screen after many tries.  I was able to get to this screen with using the cd-r with the LUD ISO.  So i am guessing that part works.  Right before the linux screen pops up and seconds during it I am switching the IDE from my stock dvd drive to HDD B:..  But yet HDD B: (The other hdd with which I am trying to get the required files to) does not get picked up or is not shown when I choose option 1: of the Dos Pompt selection screen..

I will pick up some DVD-R's and try 1.  I am also thinking maybe its a hardware fault (HDD B:).  I might pick another up as I have no other way to test to make sure this hdd is operable.

I want to Thank you all for helping a noob out.  Especially (Idotsfan).  I know your probably a busy person.  I will get some other hardware and parts to see if that fixes my issue.  I'm thinking it may be one of those.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »

One more thing: target hdd jumper needs to be on CS/Slave before the hotswap so chimp will detect it.

Mad Hatz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 10:31:00 PM »

Yes I believe I set that accordingly.  

I have posted pictures for reference to see if I am correct on my assumption.

It is a Samsung SP0802N 80GB HDD.  There are 8 pins total a row of 4 on top and on bottom.  It had a small plastic piece on both number 3 and number 7.  Per the pic I am assuming i just take it off.

Here are the pictures for reference!!

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq224/Asbwa3/IMG_0186.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq224/Asbwa3/IMG_0187.jpg

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 05:33:00 AM »

I'm only on a SD screen via a TV browser so I can't really see the jumper setting info on the HDD label properly. That info label with Master/Slave/Cable Select at the bottom and the potentially confusing and unnecessary pictogram of the HDDs pin-outs/cable connectors at the top isn't the most sensible piece of graphic design I've come across.

But in the General Settings it does look as if having no jumpers connected does mean the HDD is set to slave. At present it appears to be set to Cable Select so just remove that jumper connector.  

BTW the jumper connectors aren't just plastic, they are metal connectors encased in plastic.

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Yesterday, 02:01 PM