xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Bigger Hard Drive Install Has Made Xbox Useless  (Read 238 times)

Dog Breath

• Archived User
Bigger Hard Drive Install Has Made Xbox Useless
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

Thanks for the info shambles

I will get another xbox in time, and swap out components into the broken xbox and see if I've any luck getting it working again.

Thanks for all the help smile.gif

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right for the cloning process, however, you may have a "shadow C drive" in your softmod that will need to be bypassed before you clone the old drive.

To disable it, if there is one, boot your Xbox with an installer disc inserted, instead of booting it normally. Any installer disc (HeXEn, AID, Slayer's) will work. Once you boot off one of these discs, your Shadow C should be off, and you can then clone with chimp.

Also, just to prepare you for the worst, it sounds to me like your HD isn't lockable. Just a hunch tho.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 2 2012, 03:01 AM) View Post
To disable it, if there is one, boot your Xbox with an installer disc inserted, instead of booting it normally. Any installer disc (HeXEn, AID, Slayer's) will work. Once you boot off one of these discs, your Shadow C should be off, and you can then clone with chimp.

Not entirely true smile.gif. AID and Slayers don't bypass shadow C. Only HeXEn and Frosty's Rescue disc do that.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 2 2012, 08:35 PM) View Post

Not entirely true smile.gif. AID and Slayers don't bypass shadow C. Only HeXEn and Frosty's Rescue disc do that.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't use installer discs (and never really have,) but I took a shot anyway, LOL.

QUOTE(Dog Breath @ Aug 2 2012, 06:21 PM) View Post

I forgot to mention the dvd drive seems to not be working anymore(it wont eject no more), but I ejected it manually with paper clip to put in HeXen and still nothing.....
Another thing though, why would it give me 2 different errors depending what drive I try to use in it? I now get Error 7 when booting with the original hard drive in...
Sounds like you may have damaged the IDE cable during the course of swapping drives back and forth. Try another IDE cable. The cables from PC's will work with a little Origami folding. This may get the drive to at least read a disc. Not sure why it won't eject without knowing exactly how much of the eject process is occurring. Could be a million reasons why the drive won't eject.
QUOTE(Dog Breath @ Aug 2 2012, 06:21 PM) View Post

...and Error 12 when trying with the newer hard drive.
Error 12 is an issue with the DVD-Rom drive DMA (communication), which could also point to a bad IDE cable, since both HD and DVD-Rom issues started at about the same time.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Dog Breath @ Aug 3 2012, 11:25 PM) View Post

I did have a hard time hot swapping the ide cable out of dvd and into the hard drive and may have slightly stuck a little part of the ide cable into the hard drive wrong for split second(in other words some pins may have touched the wrong holes on the cable).. would this short out something or mess something up?
It could potentially cause some damage, but your DVD-Rom drive would have been disconnected at that point, so no damage would have been done to that. You could have however damaged your consoles IDE controller tho, which may explain your problems. You would experience symptoms similar to those caused by using a bad IDE cable or having misplaced jumpers, even tho no such conditions exist.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »

error 12, and error 7 can be caused by low power on the psu..

you should get a multimeeter and measure the power out on the yellow 12v lines and red 5v lines.
if they are low you will notice a small potentiomiter on the psu.
you can adjust that slightly untill you get the required voltages.

hopwever the error 7 Is more likley to be because the hard disk is not set as master "or was damaged some how",
and the error 12 is probably due to a dead pcb on the dvd drive OR the connecting power cable to the dvd is faulty.

a damaged ide controller on the xbox cannot be ruled out but it would generaly be the last suspect in my search for a culprate.