xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: +r Booktyped To -rom Or -r  (Read 82 times)

trenz

• Archived User
+r Booktyped To -rom Or -r
« on: July 05, 2005, 08:48:00 AM »

I'm heading out to Best Buy to pick up some more discs.They have the Fuji 100 packs for $40 and the Verbatim 50 packs for $20 this week. My question is should I use -R discs or +R discs with booktype set to -rom? All things being equal, which would be the better choice? I use the +R booktyped to -rom for my movies but not sure what would be best for  xbox games

Also, I saw the post here about staying away from Verbatims made in Taiwan so my other quetion is could you please rate these three choices of media.

Verbatim Singapore ( MCC according to a post here)
Verbatim Japan (Taiyo Yuden, same post)
Fuji Japan ( Taiyo Yuden-Yuden000-T02, personal experience)

All burning is done on a Plextor 716A

Thanks

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

+r booktyped to -rom will do fine.

either will do.

ChadH

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »

Personally I don't know for sure!! But, I read a post yesterday (I forget which one it was but it will come up if you do a search for 'layer' in this forum) where somebody who sounded like they knew their stuff said that DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM is better than DVD-R.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(trenz @ Jul 5 2005, 04:23 PM)
I'm heading out to Best Buy to pick up some more discs.They have the Fuji 100 packs for $40 and the Verbatim 50 packs for $20 this week. My question is should I use -R discs or +R discs with booktype set to -rom? All things being equal, which would be the better choice? I use the +R booktyped to -rom for my movies but not sure what would be best for  xbox games

Also, I saw the post here about staying away from Verbatims made in Taiwan so my other quetion is could you please rate these three choices of media.

Verbatim Singapore ( MCC according to a post here)
Verbatim Japan (Taiyo Yuden, same post)
Fuji Japan ( Taiyo Yuden-Yuden000-T02, personal experience)

All burning is done on a Plextor 716A

Thanks

All Verbatim including Taiwanese Verbatim is MCC.  However the Taiwanese Verbatim is actually made by Prodisc or CMC Magnetics.  They are using the MCC dye and so they are much better as a whole than Prodisc or CMC Magnetics own line however, they aren't subject to quite as rigorous a quality standards as the Singapour produced (true MCC) discs.  From what I gather though, people do seem to have pretty good experiences with the Prodisc produced MCC discs.  You can tell them apart from the CMC as they have a - or + seperating thier serial numbers.  My personal vote would be for the Fujifilm relabeled TY DVD+R though.  Much less hassle and you are getting top notch quality.  As long as you are able to set the booktype to DVD-ROM you should be fine.  A quality -R or +R disc with the booktype set to DVD-ROM are both equally compatible.  The Samsung DVD-ROM in the XBOX hates +R discs but usually gets along well with +R discs once you set the booktype to DVD-ROM.