xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: +r And Booktype Question  (Read 94 times)

thehittmann

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« on: July 18, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

It depends on what dvd drive is in your xbox. But I have a Samsung drive that doesn't read normal dvd+r game or movie backups at all. But they work fine when the booktype is dvd-rom.

I also have the nec 2500a with bitsetting and Dual layer firmware.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (stlunasmitts @ Jul 18 2004, 08:37 PM)
I don't have a modded xbox(yet) or a remote so I can't test this, but since most xbox's don't read +R discs, can I set the booktype on my +R backups to dvd-rom and the xbox read them?  Once I mod my xbox and get dvdx2 i want to be able to watch my backup dvd movies on it.  I have a nec2500a with hacked f/w that supports bitsetting...

Unless you have a Samsung drive, you should be just fine by burning a quality DVD+R disc without adjusting the settings.  The majority of Samsung drives don't like +R unless you adjust the bitsetting/booktype options in your burning program (and this is only if your drive supports these options).  Does your DVD Burner support + format only?  If it supports -R then I strongly suggest just going with a quality DVD-R disc (ie Ritek or Taiyo Yuden) as it will be a little bit cheaper and it will work just fine with any of the 3 XBOX DVD Drives without having to worry about adjusting the booktype/bitsetting options.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (Entity2 @ Jul 18 2004, 01:30 PM)
Odd. My Samsung drive hasn't had a problem reading a disc thrown at it yet, including DVD+RW, which so very few drives (Even PC) will read.

That's not that odd as +RW is a different standard than +R and doesn't have a "booktype"

jesterrace777

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (FreqNasty @ Aug 6 2004, 07:51 AM)
Has anyone tested a dual layer dvd+r on a samsung drive without adjusting the book type? The reason I ask is because I've read elsewhere that people have gotten dvd+r to work on samsung drives without adjusting any bitsettings.

Precious few, the vast majority of people who get +R to work (D/L or otherwise) on a Samsung drive do have to adjust the book type option. Anyways the cheapest D/L option at this point is a 6 pack for $50+shipping.  A number of D/L titles are classics now which means they run about $20 new (originals).  Not really worth it at those prices.  To put this in perspective,  Single Layered 4x Ritek DVD-R (considered to be one of the best) can be had in 50 packs right now for $23 with free shipping from http://www.newegg.com.  That means I can buy 100 Ritek DVD-R discs for about $10 less than a 6 pack of D/L DVD+R.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »

No idea on the Pioneer and supporting the Booktype/Bitsetting option.  IMHO kinda makes the burner's + format features worthless if it doesn't have it.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 01:39:00 AM »

Well good for you. wink.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »

QUOTE (stlunasmitts @ Jul 18 2004, 07:40 PM)
I don't have a modded xbox(yet) or a remote so I can't test this, but since most xbox's don't read +R discs, can I set the booktype on my +R backups to dvd-rom and the xbox read them?  Once I mod my xbox and get dvdx2 i want to be able to watch my backup dvd movies on it.  I have a nec2500a with hacked f/w that supports bitsetting...

I forgot to mention, the XBOX will play DVD-R movie backups without having a modchip.  Alll you need is the DVD Kit, so if that is all you want to do then you don't need a chip.  However, if you want to play game backups or PAL format DVDs then you will need a modded XBOX.

willmc_31

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »

whats the diffrence between -R and +R  

whats the best one for xbox?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »

Simply a difference in how the disc is formatted.  As long as you are using quality media, both get along pretty well with the XBOX.  However, A quality DVD-R disc definitely has the edge for compatibility.  This is especially true if you have a Samsung drive in your XBOX.  By and large Samsung drives will not read DVD+R (unless you have a DVD Burner which will allow you to adjust the booktype/bitsetting options).  Ritek DVD-R will probably give you the most flexibility for the cost.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »

If you read my post a little more carefully you would see that I said that a quality DVD-R disc is the most universal for all applications (this included the Thomson drive) and I recommended a couple of good brands to go with.

EthanHunt_IMF

• Archived User
+r And Booktype Question
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

Damn... First post was jam packed with info.  I would guess you hang out at cdfreaks too...