xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "+" (plus) Character In Files On Xbox?  (Read 200 times)

fleyke

• Archived User
"+" (plus) Character In Files On Xbox?
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »

MTX: Mototrax
Filenames are too long

XMAN0024

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (Devenic @ Dec 9 2003, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (whiffin @ Sep 16 2003, 11:58 AM)
No - the Xbox file system wont support the chars at all

So far, as far as I'm aware 3 games have had invalid filenames:

1. Enter the matrix - too long (patch available)
2. Alter Echo - + symbol (patch manually using hex editor)
3. Furious karting - french C symbol - no patch out yet

The way they are patched, and the opnly way they can be put on the HDD is by renaming offending files, then changing all links to them using a hex editor. Once done, process can be automated into a patch.

If these are 3 rogue games, then cool, but if this is a new copy protection then hmmmmmn, new app needed.

Not too hard though (although I've never coded Xbox stuff) - I don't think

1. If a file wont copy, rename to a file that doesn't exist (even 000001.xxx or summin)
2. Scan through ALL files and replace all instances with new filename
3. Upload all modied files

If someone can make a DVD-Xbox_HD app that does this it'll be great

Only a matter of time ...

A

Qwix handles invalid characters.  Create an ISO from the DVD directly with Qwix, or FTP the files to your PC and then create an ISO with Qwix.  Transfer the ISO back to your Xbox and Qwix will examine any invalid filenames and give you a chance to rename them.  You _will_ have to patch the game if you end up renaming something, but at least it tells you which ones are bad and lets you do something about it quite easily.

qwix does not say anything about dealing with invalid characters..

Zak0

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 05:53:00 PM »

Okay, the game I'm trying to copy to my hard drive has one filename that is too long.  If I rename it, then I will have to hex edit default.xbe (and maybe other files) but how do I change the LENGTH of the name with a hex editor?  Changing a single character is easy, but what about changing "ReallyLongFileNameThatIsTooLongForTheXbox.vmx" to "ShortFileName.vmx"?

-Zak

ezraa123

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

EASY.... use the newest DVD2Xbox to copy it onto your hard disk with LOGFILE writing enabled.  Matrix will rename 40 files.  The logfile will be kept in the DVD2Xbox logs subdirectory...or logfile...somethign like that.  It will tell you exactly what was renamed to what.  You can then go through the default.xbe with a hex editor and rename the files.  some files such as text files will not have the extention on them in the xbe... just do a search for them - the extention.  Make SURE to have the log enabled in DVD2Xbox or you will not know what to change.   ...and the length of the filename in hex is simple.  Just start at the beginning of the file and fill the rest of the length up with "00" in the hex window.  Leave the next string where it is so the other jump points the the program will be able to find it without re-compiling.    So... reallylongfilenamethatcan'tbeputon  would look like  reallylongfile......  in the ASCII window while you go to the Hex window and fill the rest with   00 00 00 00.

crs

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »

Is the "+" (plus) character allowed used in files in the Xbox file system?

I can not transfer a file from the Alter Echo DVD (/ODB Data/ODB Media/xvg/Object_Gunshhip_Fly_by_24+.xvg) to my drive, and it seems because of the "+" character. I tried storing other files with "+" in the name, or renaming files to something with "+" and that was denied also. I tried storing with ftp to several ftp servers (XBFileZilla, EvoX, Avalaunch). Avalaunch for example has the "+" character available when pulling up the software keyboard when renaming.

I kind of thought that Alter Echo file was bullshit since "Gunshhip" was spelled wrong, but well, you never know? :)

Trond

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 11:46:00 PM »

Do a search before asking a question which no doubt would have already been answered  wink.gif

Anyways, have a look here how you can fix it.

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 01:22:00 AM »

The following characters are permitted:
   ! # $ % & ' ( ) - . @ [ ] ^ _ ` { } ~
   Numerals 0 through 9
   Upper and lower-case letters A through Z

The following characters cannot be used:
   < > = ? : ; " * + , /  |
   Characters values 0 through 31 and 128 through 255.

crs

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 07:27:00 AM »

Yeah I already fixed the prob with Alter Echo by altering the file references in the appropriate data files. My main question was really about the characters allowed/denied thing. Which was nicely answered by heinlich, thanks!

Trond

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 07:31:00 AM »

is it not possible to remove the offending character, ftp it over, then rename it on the xbox?
slap me if im asking a stupid question! smile.gif

whiffin

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 07:58:00 AM »

No - the Xbox file system wont support the chars at all

So far, as far as I'm aware 3 games have had invalid filenames:

1. Enter the matrix - too long (patch available)
2. Alter Echo - + symbol (patch manually using hex editor)
3. Furious karting - french C symbol - no patch out yet

The way they are patched, and the opnly way they can be put on the HDD is by renaming offending files, then changing all links to them using a hex editor. Once done, process can be automated into a patch.

If these are 3 rogue games, then cool, but if this is a new copy protection then hmmmmmn, new app needed.

Not too hard though (although I've never coded Xbox stuff) - I don't think

1. If a file wont copy, rename to a file that doesn't exist (even 000001.xxx or summin)
2. Scan through ALL files and replace all instances with new filename
3. Upload all modied files

If someone can make a DVD-Xbox_HD app that does this it'll be great

Only a matter of time ...

A

crs

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 10:54:00 AM »

As I said, that's what I did, I searched all files on the DVD for references to that particular file, altered the references with a hex editor to a different filename, renamed file in question. And this should be easy to automate and/or make a patch for games incorporating this kind of trickery. Actually I am surprised it has not been used more often yet, if it seems to be this effective (atleast initially until people learn).

Trond

whiffin

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

QUOTE (crs @ Sep 16 2003, 06:54 PM)
As I said, that's what I did, I searched all files on the DVD for references to that particular file, altered the references with a hex editor to a different filename, renamed file in question. And this should be easy to automate and/or make a patch for games incorporating this kind of trickery. Actually I am surprised it has not been used more often yet, if it seems to be this effective (atleast initially until people learn).

Trond

How did U search for references (what software) - I used WinXP seasrch function and it doesn't seem to work

Am I being dumb?

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2003, 10:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (whiffin @ Sep 17 2003, 10:33 AM)
How did U search for references (what software) - I used WinXP seasrch function and it doesn't seem to work

Am I being dumb?

Kinda  tongue.gif

You need to use a hex editting program (like Winhex) in order to see the guts of each file and then you can edit specific bytes. As in the case of Alter Echo, change the + to some other character the Xbox file system can deal with.

whiffin

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2003, 07:12:00 AM »

Yeah - I can change the content of the files (I use XVI32) - that's cool

But i need to know which files to change

So I need a search program that'll go through all files and look for a particular string - I can then open these files and hex-edit the appropriate characters etc ....

Will Winhex allow me to search 40,000 files for a string as a batch job?

Cheers

ayrez

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 07:07:00 AM »

Is there any program available that can change the chars and the limitation in batch mode (e.g. 200 files in a directory at the same time) ?
Pages: [1] 2