xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Is It A Thomson, Philips, Or Samsung?  (Read 1157 times)

krackheadbill

• Archived User
Is It A Thomson, Philips, Or Samsung?
« on: December 29, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (Viddie @ Dec 16 2003, 07:43 AM)
if i burn a cd-r game does this mean it will play without any modding?

LOL

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

smile.gif

The_Doog

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »

I would like to confirm just one more time that the Samsung drive does indeed rock.  I had a US X-Box that I blew up in Europe because my power converter was broken.  I ended up getting a pre-modded X-Box from somebody for a good price.  The problem with my modded X-Box was that it would not read ANY disk because music CD's, normal DVD's and games.  It wouldn't even read my import Region 0 Chinese flicks (and these things are even legit... as far as I know.)  Well I found out my 'cooked' X-Box had a Samsung drive in there (thanks to the picture above) so I popped it into my new X-box and that drive will read everything I put in there.  Region 0 DVD's, CD-R's, CD-RW's, DVD-R... everything I've tried so far.  Good stuff.  Go for Samsung if you can.  It rocks.

(The old one was a Thomson by the way... it was crap... it even struggled reading the things it was SUPPOSED to read.)

LiquidVamp

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »

unsure.gif

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

I've found that Samsungs cannot rip dvd movies to hd where as Phillips can. And thompsons totally suck. I know most people probably don't back up dvd movies on their xbox but just a point of interest incase someone else might like to know.

ive dealt with several samsungs, all rip dvd movies just fine

AlTheKiller

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (tarntse @ Jun 30 2004, 12:13 AM)
To Get an Samsung drive U must know a Xbox-guru tat works at a distributor or somewhere they sell xbox and have servicetechnicians. I got a guy at PS-Data in Norway to get me an replacement samsung for my Phillips. It is also possible to modify a Samsung PC drive for use internally in the xbox. You will have too look for this info. I don't got it anymore. Hope this helps.

any reason you decided to pull up a year old thread to make your first post in?

dbxz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (petermac @ Aug 13 2003, 07:30 PM)
In order to get a samsung you have to be blessed by JESUS FETUS HIMSELF ( apparently if only the chosen few are blessed with the samsung)LOL<

I had to fight just for the phillips, Emagine what i would have to do to get the samsung! ( probably such Bill Gates Salty BALLS !! LOL

haha when i first bought an xbox i got a 1.6 which at the time had no modchips... so i returned the shitbox to bestbuy and searched around for older xbox boxes to ensure that i wouldnt get a 1.6 again anyways i found a store and got a new xbox and luckly it was a 1.3/1.4 (im still not sure but its got a perfect dash/kernel versions for modding) with a samsung drive! the store has about 40 boxes left which are mostlikly the same as my xbox.

if u life in canada in the west toronto area i'll be happy to let u know where to get a samsung xbox

nkcd

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »

my v1.6 box has a samsung. stock as of now

I insert different DVDR movies, it said that I need to hookup a dvd playback kit in.  Does it mean that it recognize my DVD-R (ritek and prodisc)???

I inserted my home audio CD-R and it COULN'T Recognize the disc at all by saying that Xbox canno't identify whatever, please make sure that you inserted a DVD movie, game, or an audio cd, etc.

Burned_Alive

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

uhh.gif

rugbert

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »

I keep hearing that Samsungs read all media but not mine. It wont read any burned media, whether it be games, mp3s, movies ect ect.

the model number is SDG-605, knowing that it doesnt work makes me wonder if i should even attempt to replace it...

seriouslysilly

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »

i have a samsung and the new philips (v1.6)
i know it's just the philips and its ok, but i don't like the way it sounds when turning it on.  there's no clicking sounds, but it is not as quiet as the samsung

Apprentice modder

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »

ohmy.gif

enx23

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 12:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(CaliSurfer008 @ Jul 27 2003, 07:56 PM)
Thanks to Kencuz wink.gif

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(enx23 @ Oct 20 2005, 08:28 AM)
What type of DVD drive is this? (Thomson, Philips, Samsung) I ask because it looks like a strange mixture of all three. The partial serial number is: 2nnnnnn52605. It was bought in October 2005 in Europe.

PSUPef2k

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 11:42:00 PM »

I think my DVD-rom drive is bad on the xbox I just picked up from ebay.  It is a Thomson, so do I need to replace it with a Thomson, or could I go with one of the other brands?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6