xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pc Dvd Drive...  (Read 29 times)

winne

• Archived User
Pc Dvd Drive...
« on: August 14, 2002, 04:40:00 AM »

Xbox original dvd's are written and read from the edge of the disc and into the middle. Opposite from usual cd/dvd's... In order to make a Pc dvd-rom read those disk I guess you would need some kind of FireWare patch to the dvd-rom.

warbeast

• Archived User
Pc Dvd Drive...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 07:30:00 AM »

can u still ftp the game to pc with that setup?

Hawk

• Archived User
Pc Dvd Drive...
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 08:01:00 AM »

QUOTE (N00bvin @ Aug 14 2002, 09:59 AM)
Okay, obviously you can use a DVD drive in your Xbox, but it won't play retail games... well, why not?

Winnie is somewhat correct but I believe they do it on all (or at least a lot of 'em) console games and it's more of a gameplay issue than security issue. The reason being is that it improves game play speed so less loading times and a happier gamer smile.gif. The reason behind that is that CD and DVD drivers read the outer rings of data much faster than the inner rings. I think there was even a program which replicated this spacing sheme for the DC, but I was never in that scene so I'm not sure about it.

Now here's the holdback that I've heard.....

Ok, the Xbox uses a highly specialized firmware to read Xbox DVD games. Somehow, through this way, MS has figured out a way to tell the xbox to go to where the data is but a PC DVD drive won't go. All PC drives will read is the part with the little Xbox video clip telling you to put it into an Xbox. There's a better explanation, but my mind blanked out. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

I took this from BenJeremy from another thread in this forum:

"The first is to place another "DVD Session" on the disc, before the Xbox file system formatted session, which contains a short DVD Movie compatible session, basically a clip that shows the Xbox logo and says "play this in an Xbox, dummy" or something to that effect.

"Normal" DVD-ROM drives cannot access the second session. This is a limitation in their firmware (not your PC BIOS or software), and to modify it to work with Xbox discs would require a deep understanding of the DVD drive's chipsets and hardware.

Furthermore, the Xbox's own "custom" DVD is sufficiently oddballed by the custom firmware that PCs do not recognize them.
"

killraven

• Archived User
Pc Dvd Drive...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2002, 09:19:00 AM »

Its a firmware issue. It wont be long till someone makes a firmware upgrade for the pcdrives that are popular replacements. Pioneer 500M etc. Trust me on this.