xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Connecting Pc-rom Drive  (Read 37 times)

signum

• Archived User
Connecting Pc-rom Drive
« on: August 11, 2002, 03:17:00 AM »

smile.gif

stratjakt

• Archived User
Connecting Pc-rom Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 02:11:00 PM »

to make it work with movies/audio cds, put an original xbox disc in the xbox drive, and eject/close this drive every time you 'swap' the disc.  Make sure the yellow wire harness is connected - this is how the xbox dashboard is notified that the drive is closed, and there is a disc in it..

To boot backups, you can just put the backup in and reboot, or use the soft-reset feature of EvoX, or browse to d:\default.xbe with boxplorer.  No original is necessary.  None of this stuff respond to notifications of a disc being changed..

To get to the audio cd ripping, movie player features of the xboxdashboard, you have to trick it into thinking you just swapped in a disc.  To do this, I:  

1) eject the PC-DVD tray
2) eject the xbox tray (leave an original in there, I use simpsons road rage cuz noone misses it)
3) put a disc in PC-DVD rom, close it, wait for it to spin up/down as it mounts the disc
4) close the xbox tray.  This is the signal the MS dashboard waits for.

then yer all set.

I do have problems playing DVD movies.  One shows the FBI warning screen, then bombs to the xbox dashboard.  Only one I tried, though.. I didnt buy xbox for watching movies.

Ripping audio works great, seems to be even a little faster.  Definately the thing for ripping songs on CD-R

I noticed that a hacked msdash is out with region free dvd..  It'd be nice to see a hack that "resets" the drive, say on a hotkey combination (a+b+c+start or whatever)

crazyace

• Archived User
Connecting Pc-rom Drive
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2002, 07:00:00 PM »

I tried connecting a dvd rom, and i get a red blinking light..

I tried everything, to no evail. .help!!