xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Strange Problem With Burned Dvds  (Read 36 times)

opjose

• Archived User
Strange Problem With Burned Dvds
« on: August 01, 2002, 05:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (del1313 @ Aug 1 2002, 07:18 AM)
Hey all,

So I installed an Enigmah-X Final chip on both my Xbox (ST BIOS, Thomson DVD-ROM) and my friends Xbox (Hynix BIOS, Philips DVD-ROM).

I've burned about 6 or so games now on cheap CompUSA DVD-R media and almost all of it works fine in my box, except for some slowdown in load times. All of these games have a read problem of some sort on my friends Xbox. With my Halo backup, it loads fine on my box, but on his, once you get past the player select screen, it gives the "your disc is dirty or bad" or whatever it is.

So here is where it gets weird.

I decided to put my Thomson drive in his Xbox to see if it would fix his load problems. To my surprise, it would give the same error in the same spot of Halo with my Thomson DVD-ROM in his box.  After that didn't work, I installed my Pioneer DVD-106 in his Xbox and again it would give the same error at the same place.

At this point I jumped on IRC to see if I could find any help. Several people suggested it might be something with my Enigmah install on his machine. To eliminate the Enigmah from the equation, I soldered the two write-enable jumpers and flashed the TSOP with EvoX 2.2, then I desoldered all 29 points and removed the Enigmah.

So needless to say, I'm posting this because none of my attempts to fix his DVD-R read problems have worked. He now has the EvoX 2.2 BIOS, and my DVD-106 in his Xbox and the same problems occur.

I should mention that when I use better media, the problem goes away. I've been able to use Verbatim and Maxell DVD-R media with no problems in his box.

I guess the reason I'm so confused is that everything I've read up to this point has suggested that any read problems with cheap discs were related to the cheapo Xbox DVD-ROM, and now I've basically proven that to be untrue, at least in my case.

Any help or ideas you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated since I have no idea how to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Del1313

How fast did you burn the disk?

The slower the better as it permits better "registration" with cheaper media.

[oMega]

• Archived User
Strange Problem With Burned Dvds
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 10:00:00 AM »

Well, cheapo media always cause problems. Thats why I went the DVD+R/RW way. They may be a tad more expensive (3 bucks a pop at cdrom2go.com) but they are bound to have less problems.

The write speeds sometimes have influence, just for the fun of it, try burning it at slower speeds, mabye that will fix your problem!