xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trying To Get Progressive Scan Dvd Playback.  (Read 752 times)

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Trying To Get Progressive Scan Dvd Playback.
« on: December 29, 2003, 10:45:00 PM »

No, not one that i have found.

What i did was put two dvdx-2 programs in my apps folder.  One dvdx-2 i left untouched, did not hex edit it, and the other i hex edited it for progressive.  I have both of them in my apps folder and named one idvdx, and the other pdvdx.  Both show up in my apps folder in the evox dash.  Works perfectly. ;)   <

cuan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Dec 10 2003, 12:02 AM)
This will display the original ms xbox dashboard/dvd remote playback, and dvdx-2 dongle free dvd in progressive scan:

For the original ms xbox dashboard, open xboxdash.xbe in a hex editor

Search for: C7 46 28 20 00 00 00
Replace with: C7 46 28 40 00 00 00, for progressive only
Replace with: C7 46 28 00 00 00 00, for auto selection; this auto switches to progressive scan when your hooked up to a progressive enabled monitor, or it will do interlace when hooked up to a interlace only tv.  IMO, this is the best one.

Also, the evox dashboard is already progressive enabled, so you don't have to do anything with it.

Slick as poo.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask. ;)

Hey lad,

thanks a lot for the hex values, i now have progressive scan on my msdash. however i also want to make it region free. Any ideas bout the hex values for this. I know there is a patch out there, but i don't think (but haven't tried it) it will work if you have allready hex edited the executable. I also know dvdx-2 does the job, but i want something that is tried and proven.

Thanks.  <

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 10:58:00 PM »

Trying to hex edit the ms dash for region free dvd is a pain in the butt.  Use the ms dash dvd region free patch found here.  I works perfectly.  I believe that you can still apply the patch after you have hex edited the values for progressive.  If it doesn't work, i'm pretty sure it will, apply the patch then do the progressive hex editing.  You have a backup of the original ms dash (xboxdash.xbe), right?  Then just mess around with another copied version of the xboxdash.xbe.    <

cuan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »

Thanks,
I'll try that out now. btw, is it true that u have to change from pal to ntfs if you want to get smooth playback of region 1 dvd's  <

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »

Given the number of progressive scan dash/dvd requests some type of sticky or tutorial would be appropriate.  <

Dp1983

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 12:56:00 PM »

I hear you can patch the dashboard and possibly dvd x 2?  I would rather patch dvd x 2 since it's a non critical app.  Anyways, lets say I am having a hard time finding this.  Would it be possible for someone to post the name of the file?  Does the dvd region patch 1.03 enable progressive scan support?  Any tips on this would be helpful.  Again I would prefer a patch for dvd x 2.

x2vga

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 01:02:00 PM »

That is just what i asked
See link

Dp1983

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »

Yeah, I believe a number of people have asked.  Just nobody has answered.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 03:13:00 PM »

This will display the original ms xbox dashboard/dvd remote playback, and dvdx-2 dongle free dvd in progressive scan:

For the original ms xbox dashboard, open xboxdash.xbe in a hex editor

Search for: C7 46 28 20 00 00 00
Replace with: C7 46 28 40 00 00 00, for progressive only
Replace with: C7 46 28 00 00 00 00, for auto selection; this auto switches to progressive scan when your hooked up to a progressive enabled monitor, or it will do interlace when hooked up to a interlace only tv.  IMO, this is the best one.

For dvdx-2, open its default.xbe

Search for: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 04
Replace with: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 05

When typing in the hex values to search for, try typing in the values without the spaces, if you are having trouble finding the strings.  For example: for the ms dash, search for C7462820000000.

These two hex editing strings are independent of one another; you can just hex edit for ms dash for progressive, or just the dvdx-2 for progressive, or have both of them hex edited for progressive.

The dvdx-2 hex values are only for dvdx-2, not dvdx-1.  Dvdx-1 is just a patch for the original ms dashboard/remote dvd playback that enables region free dvd.  It's progressive hex values are the same thing as the original ms xbox dashboards.

Make sure you make a backup copy of your original xboxdash.xbe, and progressive hex edit the copy.  Then after your done hex editing it call it something like yboxdash.xbe.  Then put both the original xboxdash.xbe, and the progressive hex edited yboxdash.xbe back in the root of your c: drive.  And change the xboxdash.xbe, in your evox.ini to yboxdash.xbe, so it will recognize it.  Having both the original xboxdash.xbe, and the yboxdash.xbe in your c: drive will allow you to turn off your mod chip; the original bios will only recognize the the original, unmodded xboxdash.xbe.

Also, the evox dashboard is already progressive enabled, so you don't have to do anything with it.

Slick as poo.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask. ;)

This post has been edited by Foe-hammer: Jan 1 2004, 10:19 PM

Dp1983

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 06:55:00 PM »

Yeah, I have one.  Can I edit just the dvd x and have it work using that player?  Or do they both have to be edited.   Obviously I need to edit the xbox dashboard if I want to use the built in player.

Thanks again.

Dp1983

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »

Hmm, I'm not finding that string in my xbe (dvdx).  The only xbe in my dvdx folder is default.xbe

My editor isn't finding the string you posted.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 09:58:00 PM »

There is a progressive patcher for dvdx - it's in the tools or software on the xbox-scene mainpage.  You run it on the xbe and then ftp it back.  It worked fine when I used it so that's an easy solution.

For using the xbox dash - I have a link in my signature (Foe-Hammer hooked me up a while back).  The hex editor I mentioned finds the path in the xbox dash <someone used a different one and couldn't locate it>.  The thing to remember is that changing the hex code will make the dash unsigned - best to rename it and then link the progressive dash from evox.  That way your original dash is intact.  Interestingly, any settings changes you make on one are mirrored on the other so this works quite well.

In the end, I opted for using the xbox dash over dvdx since I like the remote control and I also like to make any changes in 480p so my set doesn't have to resynch to the 480i signal.

Dp1983

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 09:55:00 AM »

Yeah, I found that dvd x patch thanks.  

Could you explain this?

Interestingly, any settings changes you make on one are mirrored on the other so this works quite well.

You mean if you patch the MS dashboard and rename it the one that's not renamed will display 480p?  How does that work?  I'll probably just stick with dvd x.  Or do you mean like video settings and what not?

This post has been edited by Dp1983: Dec 10 2003, 05:56 PM

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 01:58:00 PM »

I meant that the changes in settings will be mirrored in each.  Output will still be 480p for the altered dash (only executable under a non-MS bios) and 480i for the stock dash (will run with chip on or off).

hairyspheers

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 11:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Dec 10 2003, 12:02 AM)
For dvdx-2, open its default.xbe

Search for: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 04
Replace with: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 05

Is there a way so dvdvx2 can autoselect?