xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can Not Change Dashboard  (Read 1218 times)

stephace

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »

Hi for all!!!
I have come to a problem which I have never ever experienced before.
A softmodded xbox which only boots the original MS dashboard. The point would be to swap the MS dash to XBMC. I have tried it with slayers, with AID and no joy. With AID I was able to FTP the box, and tried the shortcut maker option, but it freezes every time on startup when I overwrite the .xbe! What could I be possibly missing?
It has been a few days now, and still not be able to hack it!
If someone knows the answer please let me know, thanks in advance!!!

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »

If it still boots the Ms Dash then it's only half modded.....

How do you know it's softmodded, and which softmod did you use?

stephace

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »

Hi!
The thing is I didnt do the softmod, I received it like as it is now. Basicly it does play copies and auto install discs, but doesnt matter if I install Evox or UnleashX it still boots the MS dash. It is weird, I have never seen stuff like this before. When AID is in I can access the HDD, and AIDs file explorers let me run XBMC on it until the AID disc is in.
What does a half mod mean btw? Is it what AID can sort out or do I have to re-soft mod it?
Is it possible to re-soft mod it without disassembling it or using the game-hack mod?
Thanks for the swift reply!!!

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »

Half modded means what it says - it means that whoever modded your Xbox only did half the job.

Grab hold of HeXEn 0.99B11-22. Burn it to DVD-R, then use it to update your softmod. From there switching to XBMC is trivial.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »

If you don't happen to have HeXen or any other similar tool what is the recommended method of removing an old, failed or dodgy softmod and reinstalling a clean replacement?

I know there are warnings about softmodding over a previous install but could you use, for instance AID's uninstall option to remove whatever previous softmod there was on the Xbox to get it back to a clean retail state and then re-softmod afresh?

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »

Do it manually. Use the facilities in your existing softmod to bypass shadow C, then build a new softmod using Kingroach NDURE 3.1 and a set of stock C files. Use FTP to delete the existing files on the C partition, and copy the new Kingroach file set to C and E.

I'm sure you can do it with AID as well, but you have to be sure that any shadow C is bypassed first - HeXEn does that automatically.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

Should have reminded people that I have no PC so can't use anything other than AID.

But if it is just a question of clearing the C:\drive of everything and replacing it with stock retail C:\drive folders/files that should be no problem.

Could I use AID's Create MS Backup facility to ensure I had a clean copy in the E:\Backup and just copy it across to the C;\drive?

What about the E:\drive? A reinstall must alter that too. Is it simply overwritten during a reinstall? If so what about apps, existing backups and any music and/or games?

There could also be clutter on the E:\drive too - foreign language.xmls and, on the pre-softmodded Xbox I'm interested in re-doing cleanly, I have other things like KNOPPIX, linuxconfig and adoc.xip files too. They were on that machine when I bought it but as it is the 'parent' Xbox whose installer I used for my first softmods I've kept it exactly as it was.

But the installer either had issues or was so old it required the use of the Patch 5960 facility it included just to get it working. Consequently I'd like a totally clean install using my much newer AID/SID with all that sort of stuff from the old installer gone.

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Feb 4 2011, 12:59 AM

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Feb 3 2011, 11:55 PM) View Post
Could I use AID's Create MS Backup facility to ensure I had a clean copy in the E:\Backup and just copy it across to the C;\drive?
No, because the contents of the C partition aren't clean, they include the unknown softmod - or if the unknown softmod has shadow C then AID will copy the shadow C, not the real C.

What about the E:\drive? A reinstall must alter that too. Is it simply overwritten during a reinstall? If so what about things apps, existing backups and maybe music and/or games?
No, a good installer just changes what it needs to and leaves the rest untouched - unless you pick an option that erases the whole drive. There is no general answer - you just have to look at the config for the installer to see what each of the options actually does.

But the installer either had issues or was so old it required the use of the Patch 5960 facility it included just to get it working. Consequently I'd like a totally clean install using my much newer AID/SID with all that sort of stuff from the old installer gone.
I'm sure the AID/SID manual tells you exactly how to do what you want from any unknown softmod ................ smile.gif

Or maybe not, which is why I wrote HeXEn!

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

I'm not sure the AID manual does cover it which is why I asked the question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'll read it again.

When I talked about using the AID Create MS Backup I didn't mean the basic MS Backup, which as you rightly say would just be a copy of the unclean C:\drive. I meant the Create MS Dash Backup from AID which I thought was just that: a clean copy of the MS dash on the AID disc.

It was why I was concerned, on another thread, about why the xboxdash.xbe that option created didn't work ie. clicking on it when in the Backup folder on the E:\drive caused an Error 21.

With all the MS dash backups I've made during softmod install processes on virgin retail Xboxes the xboxdash.xbe in those works as I would expect - clicking on it loads the MS dash. No Error 21 message. I was told, probably by you or Bomb Bloke, that it would work when actually on the C:\drive.

I had to check using my testbed Xbox to confirm, for my own peace of mind, and that is the case. But no explanation was offered as to why there was this difference in the functioning of the xboxdash.xbe in MS Dash Created from AID. Doesn't make any sense to me.

stephace

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »

I got my hands on HeXen!
It did sort the Problem out, immediately!!!
A Massive Big Thanx goes out to Heimdall!!!
Keep up the lovely job!!
Peace  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

This post has been edited by stephace: Feb 7 2011, 09:22 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can Not Change Dashboard
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

Glad it worked for you!

Out of interest, which softmod did you install - Krayzie or Kingroach?