xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Skin Smoothness Problem  (Read 707 times)

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Video Skin Smoothness Problem
« on: March 09, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

I'm currently in the process of making a full video skin with a intro movie a backround movie and a game loading one as well

The intro movie is designed so at the end of the movie a image on the final dash backround will appear . But the problem is UnleashX seems to jump (show black) between the intro movie and the background movie.  
It has a way smaller less noticable problem between going from the background to the loading movie. But it really spools the smooth transition effect i'm going for

Do other people have this problem or is it just me

I guess the real guy to ask is neverwill as he does so many video skins <

neverwill

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »

Hmmm...I'm actually not quite sure, I've only done one skin with an intro vid that does the same thing as yours will do ( transitioning from video to menu with the same image on screen), and If I remember correctly it may have a slight black skip between the two. I'll check later though, or you can check it on your own, the skin is "User Interface V2" at xbox-skins and allxboxskins.

I can't really think of a way to remedy the problem, the black is probably caused by unleashx going from the intro and trying to load the menu right away. I'm working on another skin right now too, but I haven't made an intro for it yet, so I'll let you know how it turns out once I do, and if I have the same problem.

-neverwill <

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »

wink.gif  I'm a little dull when it comes to computer drawing/animation and am only just figureing it out so Don't expect to much  rolleyes.gif

neverwill

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

O.K , I just checked my user interface skin and it has no black jump between the intro and the loading screen.

One thing I've noticed with adobe after effects though (and I'm just going to assume this is what you're using) is that in your composition make sure that every one of your layers matches up from zero to whatever amount of time your clip is.

So lets say you make a 10 second intro, drag the time slider (at the top of the editing window) all the way to the end of the clip (making sure the screen doesnt turn grey, that means you've gone past the end of the clip). Now, make sure all your graphics are still there. Sometimes it's easy to accidentaly offset a lair. If there is a problem with one of the lairs or all of the lairs not running for the full amount of time, it can cause skips.

Also, and this might be why I haven't had a problem, I'm still using the version of unleash x that is posted in my sig, which I believe is the second newest one and I have yet to update. Maybe the updated dash has a longer load time between intro and menu, I doubt it, but it's a possibility.

-neverwill

Edit--------------------
Just thought of something else:
My User Interface V2 skin is completely video all the way through, there arent any images (.png or otherwise) in the menu, the whole background is a vid. So it's going from one pure vid to another pure vid. Maybe having to load an image as well slows it down a bit, but again I'm not quite sure.

This post has been edited by neverwill: Mar 10 2005, 05:03 AM <

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »

The thing is I know they loop perfectly and cleanly If I play them in the file manager theres no black jump at all <

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif

And I report it does exactly the same thing as mine so maybes its my box
I even tried switching from pal to ntsc and it does the same

The version of UnleashX you use does however have a slightly smaller jump than the current wip build

neverwill

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »

Wierd, I'm not sure if bios would have anything to do with it at all. I don't know what to say, because I know you're using the same adobe after effects as me...truely odd. And even after testing it with my version of unleash x you're still getting the problem, I'm not quite sure what would cause that.

Does anyone else notice a skip between the intro and the menu on my "User Interface v2" skin?

Tonight I might just do a quick mockup of something to see if I can recreate your problem, if I have time.

-neverwill <

Voigt-Kampff

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(neverwill @ Mar 10 2005, 02:19 AM)
Does anyone else notice a skip between the intro and the menu on my "User Interface v2" skin?

I actually switched back to the original User Interface from v2 because of the hiccup when the boxed movie animation resets. It seems to have a minor twitch each time the Halo2 movie loops around. As far as the intro vid I always take them out so can't really comment there. Er, realising I may be talking about something completely different here.
unsure.gif Carry on!