xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Game Off-center, Anyone Seen This Before?  (Read 958 times)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Game Off-center, Anyone Seen This Before?
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

First thing I'd ask is do the game in question have any screen positioning options?  

What connection method are you using: Component, S-Video, RGB SCART?

jazzycian

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 18 2013, 01:13 AM) View Post

First thing I'd ask is do the game in question have any screen positioning options?  

What connection method are you using: Component, S-Video, RGB SCART?

Hey. Not sure if the game itself has screen positioning options. I will check in the morning, be great if that's what it was. I'm using component connection. Going to also check the game in a fresh Xbox tomorrow just to make sure. As I say it plays off the disc the very same and the same in ms dash. Also I just double checked that it's the correct region. It is, it's PAL.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »

I was sort of hoping you were using RGB SCART as that, depending on the TV/Settings, can produce what is called SCART shift. It is a sync issue which I think is caused by a slight delay in processing the RGB signal so the horizontal positioning of the picture area shifts, usually, right, leaving a black border on the left.

On CRTs this was often hidden behind the front bezels and/or by the TV's overscan. Some higher end TVs, like my Sony WS Wega, had manual menu enabled RGB correction and others seemed to correct it autuomatically.

Anyway RGB SCART shift is obviously not the case here. So if it is not an in-game screen positioning issue I really can't think why this is only occurring with these particular games.

There can be some weirdness with progressive scan resolution support in some games of both PAL and NTSC origin although that usually just means they don't display. The later Xbox version video encoder may also cause issues with certain games.

However I do recall at least one other (GTA3 I think) where simply turning off the widescreen option resolved some progressive scan display problem although not what you've described. Worth a try though.

jazzycian

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 18 2013, 02:29 PM) View Post

I was sort of hoping you were using RGB SCART as that, depending on the TV/Settings, can produce what is called SCART shift. It is a sync issue which I think is caused by a slight delay in processing the RGB signal so the horizontal positioning of the picture area shifts, usually, right, leaving a black border on the left.

On CRTs this was often hidden behind the front bezels and/or by the TV's overscan. Some higher end TVs, like my Sony WS Wega, had manual menu enabled RGB correction and others seemed to correct it autuomatically.

Anyway RGB SCART shift is obviously not the case here. So if it is not an in-game screen positioning issue I really can't think why this is only occurring with these particular games.

There can be some weirdness with progressive scan resolution support in some games of both PAL and NTSC origin although that usually just means they don't display. The later Xbox version video encoder may also cause issues with certain games.

However I do recall at least one other (GTA3 I think) where simply turning off the widescreen option resolved some progressive scan display problem although not what you've described. Worth a try though.

Hey, bit of an update. It was the SID (5.11, I think) auto installer I used and I installed the unleashx 'standard for HD' option when I got my component cable in the post. I also found that my pcsx and genesis emulators when they got to the menu the screen was all garbled and messed up. And they work previously with my initial 'standard' setup. So I reinstalled with the unleashx 'standard', not HD. And everything works fine again. Burnout is back to normal and my Genesis and PlayStation emulators are also back to normal. Problem solved I suppose. Thanks very much for your help and time fallenangle.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »

Glad to read you sorted it out.

jazzycian

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 19 2013, 12:24 PM) View Post

Glad to read you sorted it out.

Thanks. I know it was probably a stupid problem but I thought I would post an update for anyone having a similar problem. Thanks again for your help