xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Restore Ms Dash And Unleashx And Add Linux Distro  (Read 972 times)

inconsapevole

• Archived User
Restore Ms Dash And Unleashx And Add Linux Distro
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help me.
First of all i apologize for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.

Go with my question.

I have an xbox1 and i have softmod it with a tutorial in this site.
I have obtain a xbox ndure softmod, with UnleashX on it, and possibility to start MS dash.

It's work fine, but i would try do much with xbox.
So i follow another post for create a dual boot (or tri boot) for boot with eject unleashX, with power a distro of Linux (Maybe GentooX, for using as normal pc or media center). But have a menu entry to boot MS dash anyway.

When i follow this  http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=546777  from point 11.
I have error in 12 (said "ernie.xtf ot found" or similar) but when i reboot nothing work and my xbox show black screen.

So now after some work i have xbox that boot into Unleashx that seem have problem, some option work bad and ftp work intermittent.

My ask is, i want to save system before damage, so have unleashx and MS dash, how could replace file on C without ftp (doesn't work for now), then reinstall clean UnleashX so everythink maybe work well?
Then when this is ok, how i could install a distro of linux and replase MS dash in eject button this distro (Msdash move in a menu option) for navigate on internet and use a media center for film?

I can't get out this problem alone.

Please help me

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »

try to download "hexen heimdalls xbox engineering disk"
burn to dvd-r 4x speed or slower.
Boot xbox with hexen dvd.
reinstall softmod. (use unleash x)
When done. restart xbox and press A so it makes shadow c:
then start xbox again with hexen dvd.
Install applications. XBMC to E: or F:

this will give you ms dash unleash-x xbmc and evox dash. it will not give you linux distro.

inconsapevole

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »

Thanks so much!!

With cd i have now resume MS dash.

My situation now is, a lot of caos in C and E partition with files folder and app to the older softmod.
I don't know what it's safe to remove and what's no so i don't clean nothing.

Now if i boot from eject button i see an error 21 from xbox instead of MS dash or unleash.
If i boot from power button i see UnleashX dash (i think newest respect of my previous, but at boot i see strange pixel on top-left of the screen).
I have now XBMC and Evox installed too.

My new question is, how i can change boot? what file i have to modify to obtain unleas at eject button for exaple? Or if i want MS dash to power button? I know the file that start it (MS = xboxdash.xbe in C: ; Unleash = unleashdash in E:)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »

My recommendation is that you don't do anything to try and fix this yourself and hope that Heimdall is around to help you sort it out.

It sounds as if something has gone slightly wrong, maybe an incorrect dual boot option choice when using Hexen.

I am interested in that "strange pixel" in the top left of the UnleashX dash you mentioned. Maybe it's there for a purpose but could you provide a better description?  

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »

why do you want to dual boot?
you can just use unleash-x as a dash and then chose the dashboard you want to use.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »

I'd agree that dual boot, particularly to the MS dash, is a bit redundant now. With any dashboard you are only a couple of clicks away any other dash, including the MS one. Only XBMC doesn't provide a direct menu option to boot the MS dash.  

Additionally, when using UnleashX, the controller or remote can be easily set up for single button boot shortcuts to everything the user is likely to want to launch.

However that Error 21 on eject boot should not be happening and needs fixing. I hope Heimdall or someone else can provide help with that.      

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »

im prety sure the error 21 hes getting is because his dual boot is pointing to the wrong place/file.
should just get rid of the dual boot by re softmodding from the start.

quite possible tha the dualboot is looking for xboxdash and he only has xb0xdash. or its looking for xb0xdash and he only has xboxdash (had that issue my self)
you can just use file explorer to copy the one you already have, then rename the copy to the one your missing.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Mar 5 2012, 02:13 PM

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »

It is likely something like that but if Hexen had been used correctly it shouldn't have been left that way. Something must have gone wrong for it to be pointing at an incorrect .xbe.

I've never been sure where the MS dash .xbe the eject button boot uses is expected to be located. I use the SID dash as my eject boot dash and there's only one place that can be - the installer game save file in E:\UDATA. But the MS dash is another matter.

For a softmod you should have a .xbe for it in E:\Backup and as the backup is made pre-softmod that should be xboxdash.xbe. If what I remember is correct post-Hexen that is what it should still be named on the C:\drive too.

But with other tools the post-mod the MS dash .xbe can be renamed to something completely different like msdash.xbe, xbOxdash or, almost, anything. On my early SID machines it is C:\msdash.xbe but the two I did with AID v.4.4 are C:\xb1xdash.xbe. But if this is what has happened here too post-Hexen - why?

Whether it is better to reuse Hexen or just to rename the MS dash .xbe back to xboxdash.xbe so that it can be found I'm not sure. I'd hoped that Heimdall would have ridden to the rescue by now and helped sort this out for certain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

inconsapevole

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »

Ok i'm back!!

So i have done a video of boot, so we can see pixel on top left of the screen and the way xbox boot push power button.
http://www.mediafire...14fojdbob6/Boot Xbox.mp4

I have done a shot of C: and E: too.

C content

E content

This is the content of my C: disk, what i could control for 21 error of dash?
i don't understand how put a dash to boot with eject button.
Don't matter if the dash is MS or other, but where i have to put .xbe dash for boot to Eject.
Because i have understand that with power button boot the .xbe content in E: or E:\Dash in my case, it's correct?

For more info ask me please, i would resolve this problem.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »

I can't see the video as I'm not on my laptop but I've had a look at the C and E:\drive shots. It's impossible for me to advise you as I don't know what a post-Hexen C:\ and E:\ drive should look like. But I have a few observations which may be relevant if not anything else.

C:\ looks similar my own softmoddded Xboxes with the exception of that xboxdash.bak. I'd not come across a .bak extension before; so I looked it up and, if I've understood correctly, that is the renamed 5960 MS dash. All the references to it I've found have been 5+ years old but maybe this is still normal for a Hexen-ed C:\ (Shadow C) drive. I don't know as I'm more familiar with SID/AID.    

On E:\I can't think why there are separate "backup", "backups",  "app" and "apps" folders. I'd guess the "dash" folder contains your UnleashX dash .xbe plus config.xml, items.xml and maybe some regional .xmls too.

If this were my problem I'd look at the config.xml (click on it) and near the top it should tell you what/where and where your MS dash is. That might be helpful to know.

BTW be careful not to accidentally edit the config.xml. Just scroll down to read it and when you want to exit use the BACK button. If you've mistakenly made a change a dialogue box will come up asking whether you wish to save your changes - click NO. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When you've looked at config.xml go back to the main dash menus. With UnleashX you should have a MS dash option available. What happens when you use that?

Whatever you do I'd still suggest getting help from somebody who knows Hexen better than I do, preferably Heimdall. If anyone can get you sorted he can. Perhaps a short, respectful PM to him pointing to this thread and asking for advice would help.

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Mar 8 2012, 03:31 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »

Already on the case. I'll have a look in more detail when I get home from work. smile.gif

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »

ah there he is,
Your in good hands now. Ive played about in hexen for a while now. and the amount of work and references to files that goes back and forth  is crazy, I spent HOURS making it work properly from the hard disk simply because how much work went in to it.
I wont even try to pretend i understand 9/10ths of whats going on in the disk.
One person who does is heimdall. and im sure he will set you straight.

inconsapevole

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »

i have all this caos in my E: beacuse i have first soft modded xbox with hotswap, next i tryed to install dual boot with linux and i obtain a second backup folder and other app folder.

Anyway if i load MS dash from menu of unleash it's work fine and load, and it load file in c:xboxdash.xbe, because i could boot MS dash click on this file too.
It's seem like xboxdash is not set to be point for booting with eject button.

Now i wont try another workaround, first i make a copy of disk on another one (bigger) so if somethink doesn't work i could format it and use o pc or retry right?
And next i try to make C: as default, here i need help, how i can make C: as original xbox? because i restore original xbox (dash 5960) and next how set E: partition? format?
I want to make xbox as default, maybe without loss of savegames. It's saved in E:? or i can format E: because there are only files for unleash and other dash?

Finally i make backup of all xbox original and do a clean softmod with hexe cd that i make.
Could work?

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »

If you want to do that..

make a xboxhdm disk with your eeprom.bin file that was made when you upgraded using hexen.

i would use the stock files from hexen to populate the xboxhdm disk. and then after youing those i would copy the softmod files from hexen ndure folder to xbox hdm..

I explained how to do it to some 1 els a month or so ago and it seemd to work ..

i must go to bed now, and tomorrow i am with my wife's parents so you can either wait till i come back and tell you where the folders are exactly.
hope heimdall or some 1 els tels you where the folders are exactly,
or find the post i replied to a month or so ago and follow those instructions..

Or you could use the ndure install tutorial for xboxhdm on the tutorial. and just use the hexen stock files if you need the stock files.

Aslong as you have the eeprom.bin file saved to your pc, and a xbohdm disk made properly You will be ok.
xboxhdm will format the hard disk for you.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Mar 12 2012, 02:56 AM

inconsapevole

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »

I'm back!!

So i want to format all partition with x wizard cd into xbox, and the without reboot install MS dash and unleashx back on clean HD.
Could work? Or after format anythink work?

I have another question, there isn't any web browser that work well? Best is if work as app in unleashX, i tried XDSL but it is slooow and firefox can't update so web browsing is bad. Any suggestion?
Pages: [1] 2