xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help Seeking Slayers Evox Version 2.7 Auto Install Download  (Read 385 times)

antiquityscion

• Archived User
Need Help Seeking Slayers Evox Version 2.7 Auto Install Download
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »

Hello.  I am new to this sight and would appreciate any help anyone would be kind enough to provide.

As the title states, I am trying to locate a free download location for Slayers EvoX version 2.7 auto install to create a boot disk that will partition and soft mod my original xbox.  

My google fu kind of sucks and most sites I find are pay to download torrent sites, which I am leery of. Surely there are free sites out there, and preferably ones I don't have to muck with a torrent? If not, could someone please let me know this, too, and recommend a trustworthy torrent site?  

Thank you.

This post has been edited by antiquityscion: Dec 23 2011, 10:19 AM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:20:00 AM »

It's site, not sight. smile.gif

Slayers doesn't softmod your Xbox, and should never be used on a softmodded Xbox.

To softmod your Xbox you need an exploitable game, or you have to hotswap - see this post or this one for a brief overview.

antiquityscion

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »

Why is that?  That is what I have on my xbox now?  I paid a guy a year ago to softmod my xbox and upgrade the hard drive, and he used slayers 2.7 (its what is on there now).  I want to redo it, and do it myself, because I have a bigger hard drive I want to use, now.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 04:08:00 AM »

Slayers is an installation disc, so while it may have been used on your Xbox is isn't installed on it.

Using Slayers on a softmodded Xbox is dangerous and will destroy your softmod, and that's what the Slayers instructions say very clearly.

I have a backup on my PC & know this will KILL my softmod!

If you want to upgrade the disk on a softmodded Xbox then you have to use HeXEn / lxhdm (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc), or Chimp 2618, or xboxhdm. You can not use Slayers - it's designed just for chipped / flashed Xboxes.

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Dec 23 2011, 12:18 PM

antiquityscion

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »

then it is possible I don't completely understand what the guy did, when he worked on my xbox.  maybe you can help me understand?

He replaced my xbox's hard drive with an 80 GB IDE seagate hard drive, and what he told me is that he installed Slayers 2.7.  This even displayes when I turn the xbox on, so I believed him.  It has several partitions, with the f:\ drive being the largest, and where he placed all my games he backed up for me (the reason I did this was for load time improvement).  I've since bought more games but have run out of room and want to install a 750 GB hard drive.

My understanding was that one of the partitions on the hard drive was responsible for booting up slayers 2.7, like an operating system on a PC, and that all one would need to do is reinstall slayers on a new hard drive.

Did this guy do something extra I was not aware of?  I wish I could ask him directly, but I am not able to contact him.

This post has been edited by antiquityscion: Dec 23 2011, 06:02 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »

Slayers is an installation disc. It isn't an operating system, and you DON'T install Slayers on your Xbox. You use it to flash the BIOS, set up the hard disk, install a dash and some apps, and it installs a menu that says Slayers 2.7 on the background screen, but that's all.

It sounds as though your Xbox was chipped or flashed, not softmodded. If that's the case and you want to install a 750GB disk then you still don't need Slayers, you need HeXEn, because Slayers only works for disks up to 250GB.

So, you now need to work out if your Xbox is chipped / flashed, or softmodded. Does the Xbox startup sequence look like an unmodded Xbox? Are there any logos, or different coloured flubber? Does you standard dash screen show the BIOS version? If so, what does it say? What colour is the LED after the Xbox has booted?

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Dec 23 2011, 06:46 PM

antiquityscion

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »

It is possible that what you are describing was done.  I simply don't know.  All I can tell you is that he said he needed the original hard drive to configure it, then he installed the new hard drive. However, here is what the screen looks like when it boots.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now My brother's xbox has the same set up done by the same guy, except he used a 750 GB hard drive (basically doing what I want to do).  It does show all his hard drive space, however, he found that after he had some 230 GB of games, he was having some games he ripped disappear, and when he tried ripping more games, they would not copy at all.  He is assuming it was because his hard drive has bad sectors, and the hard drive is failing.  Could that be due to the fact Slayers can't handle a hard drive that big?  Would he be able to delete some of his games to keep it under 230 GB to fix the problem?

This post has been edited by antiquityscion: Dec 24 2011, 01:27 AM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

Your Xbox is either chipped or flashed.

Whoever built your brother's Xbox is an idiot - Slayers won't work on disks larger than ~250GB - it formats the disk with the wrong size clusters. Deleting games won't help your brother - he needs to reformat the disk with HeXEn (or do it manually with XBPartitioner 1.1), check the cluster size as described in the link in my signature, and start again from scratch.

You also need to build your new hard disk with HeXEn. You might need to reflash the BIOS as well, depending on which BIOS your modder put on there. HeXEn will also do that for you.

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Dec 24 2011, 01:32 AM

antiquityscion

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  The guy did seem flaky actually, so you probably aren't far off the mark.   I think maybe he flashed the bios somehow, because he didn't mention anything about adding a mod chip.  

Will I be able to reflash the bios without buying splinter cell or some other exploit game by using Hexen? I know enough to know (not clear on the actual process) that some modding methods use an xbox game with an exploit, like splinter cell.  I have that game, but it is the classic reissue that included a 3 pack: splinter cell, ghost recon, and rainbow six 3, and I've been told that version won't work.

I see the links in your signature.  I know how to build PCs, but I am a complete novice when it comes to modding game consoles.  I will have to read your links carefully before I even  start.  If I have more questions, do you mind if I ask you on this thread?  

Thanks again. smile.gif

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Dec 24 2011, 12:31 AM) View Post
You might need to reflash the BIOS as well, depending on which BIOS your modder put on there. HeXEn will also do that for you.

All versions of Splinter Cell are exploitable ...... but you don't need one, because your Xbox TSOP chip has already been flashed. If the person who told you your copy of Splinter Cell wasn't exploitable ever tells you anything else about anything technical, just ignore it.

You don't need to do much reading. Burn HeXEn to DVD-R, drop the new hard drive into the Xbox, cold boot with HeXEn, read the on-screen instructions, select option 3.5.3 or 3.5.4. If XBPartitioner 1.1 complains about the BIOS not supporting LBA48 then you'll need to flash the BIOS - option 3.2.

antiquityscion

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »

Thank you again for your insight, Heimdall. Those  instructions in your previous post seem pretty straight forward. I know how to unzip a file using 7zip, and I do have an ISO burner application.  Where may I download a HeXen ISO?  I looked through the links in your signature, but I could not find a link for that.  I may have missed that, but I am just not seeing it right now.  Could you please advise me on this?

Thank you for all your help.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »

Heimdall basically told you how to get the disc in post #4 of this thread.  You will not get a direct link on this forum for reasons of copywrite.  It really isn't hard to find.

antiquityscion

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »

OK Thank you for stating that.  I am just new to all this.  I think I found what I am looking for and I will see if it works shortly.

Thank you for the help, Heimdall and StrictPuppet smile.gif

antiquityscion

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »

Well, I used my brother's xbox as the Guinea pig, and it appears to have worked!  I am so stoked!

I am currently in the process of uploading the games I backed up for him, and the first one I uploaded, played fine.  

Thank you all for your help!