xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Unleash-x Video Settings  (Read 249 times)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Unleash-x Video Settings
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »

As far I can tell the regional video options in UnleashX only apply to DVDs not games. Once you've region changed to NTSC using Enigmah nothing you can set there seems to apply to games.

How would you tell anyway unless the TV itself didn't support the output? PAL60 is 480i/60Hz is to all intents identical to interlaced NTSC. To be honest I've never been quite sure how the UnleashX dash's regional options function or are meant to function. When a PAL console is region changed to NTSC selecting PAL there doesn't appear to change the output to 576i, at least not for games.    

As I understand it 480p, aka NTSC prog scan, and 576p, aka PAL prog scan, are universal standards. The refresh rate the prog scan uses is not universal (there are several standards) but that's not important for this discussion. What is, is that the output resolution has to be supported by the game/DVD, console and the TV of course.

Maybe it's possible to force a Xbox PAL game or DVD to display in 576p/50Hz (Hex editing?) but it's not a resolution option provided by the UnleashX or MS dash. You certainly can't just switch on PAL prog scan which it sounds as if you're hoping you might be able to do.

Blitter+Twisted

• Archived User
Unleash-x Video Settings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Feb 1 2011, 03:06 PM) View Post

As far I can tell the regional video options in UnleashX only apply to DVDs not games. Once you've region changed to NTSC using Enigmah nothing you can set there seems to apply to games.

Ah I see that makes sense thanks.

Unleash-X is powerful but nothing seems to be explained anywhere!

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Unleash-x Video Settings
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »

There is an online manual for the UnleashX dash somewhere if you search for it. Sorry but I can't provide the link. Last time I did something similar here the powers that be almost banned me because, despite being unaware of it, the site included 'fobidden' links. But it is out there.

I agree though there are apps, dashes, software tools being recommended here which badly need an accessable, clear, concise manual, written from the ground up by somebody who knows what they're talking but understandable for all levels of users.

There are notable exceptions and the information is usually available but so often it's all over the place. You have to sift through out-of-date tutorials or long forum dicussions before you get to the simple description of what something does and how to use it you were looking for.  

Just a personal hobby horse but IMHO some of these brilliant software creators who produce this fantastic stuff might also benefit from a few lessons in graphic design too.