xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hdtv Test  (Read 231 times)

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« on: March 23, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

ooohhh.. that was sneaky...  tongue.gif Now time to test this when I get home. I wonder how the text/fonts will look all shrunk down in 1080i... laugh.gif

Any chance of a screen calibration tool hidden in there as well?

unleashx

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

None yet. I need to have an idea on how it would look like before I do that. But I can say it's on the work. smile.gif

The current release scales the font relative to the screen size -that's why I said don't expect it to be pretty. I'm still deciding whether I'd do it that way, resizing, or let it be since the user can always change the font, thus, the font size. I don't know, I need an idea. biggrin.gif

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »

Sweet! It works... Here are a few screen shots of a few different skins.

Full Size 1920x1080:
UnleashX 1080i ScreenShot 01
UnleashX 1080i ScreenShot 02
UnleashX 1080i ScreenShot 03
UnleashX 1080i ScreenShot 04

Aproximation of overscan on my set:
user posted image

A couple of quick observations about 1080i:
1. The fonts scaled and positioned itself very well (much better than my first try at 1080i with XBMP). Now font selection/size as you can see in some of the screenshots will definitely need to be considered for skinners. Whatever font neo used for his milky skin menu selection looks really sweet...

2. Overscan appears to be identical to that at 480p. See screenshot above

3. Tried to start UX in 720p which my set doesnt support on purpose and it safely defaulted back to 480p.  beerchug.gif

and one quick question. So now that HDTV skins should be possible, can font positioning now reflect the 1920x1080 or 1280x720 background images/videos the skinners uses?

Awesome work UX!  pop.gif

unleashx

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 11:59:00 PM »

Damn, I couldn't get any luckier, could I? biggrin.gif  

There are so many things to consider when using HDTV. Whether you scale the fonts or not, decide whether the text should be adjusted to the left, middle, or right. These images should help me out in designing a better implementation.

As to your question of positioning, I believe what you want to know is whether you can design your skin using 1920x1080, 1280x720, not just 640x480. Yes, you can, by providing an element called "ScreenSize". Full syntax is <ScreenSize Width="1920" />. This should tell the dash not to do any scaling when the resolution is 1080i. For all other skins, it will be scaled up. Note that these are still experimental, so it may not work as expected. I'm kinda working like a blind here, calculating everything in my mind.

Like I said, I'm still contemplating whether I do an automatic scaling like it is now, or let the user have more control by providing their own font. Then again, it's easy to provide your own font and add the ScreenSize element. For this, I need an idea.

Note that not all modules are being resize, these are just experimental anyways, so it's not done yet.

If you can also take a snapshot using the default skin, that would be great. smile.gif

lotw

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 07:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Mar 24 2004, 09:59 AM)
Damn, I couldn't get any luckier, could I? biggrin.gif  

There are so many things to consider when using HDTV. Whether you scale the fonts or not, decide whether the text should be adjusted to the left, middle, or right. These images should help me out in designing a better implementation.

As to your question of positioning, I believe what you want to know is whether you can design your skin using 1920x1080, 1280x720, not just 640x480. Yes, you can, by providing an element called "ScreenSize". Full syntax is <ScreenSize Width="1920" />. This should tell the dash not to do any scaling when the resolution is 1080i. For all other skins, it will be scaled up. Note that these are still experimental, so it may not work as expected. I'm kinda working like a blind here, calculating everything in my mind.

Like I said, I'm still contemplating whether I do an automatic scaling like it is now, or let the user have more control by providing their own font. Then again, it's easy to provide your own font and add the ScreenSize element. For this, I need an idea.

Note that not all modules are being resize, these are just experimental anyways, so it's not done yet.

If you can also take a snapshot using the default skin, that would be great. smile.gif

Ya, it worked just about perfect on the first try with my skin too.  Some of the text drifted a little, but not much at all, of coarse the fonts would have to be made a little larger.

I am going to have to try and redo my skin at 1080i mode and test it out.

One things to note is the filemanager on Projections at 1080i get cut off pretty bad on the left, right, and top.  In fact on the top, the whole box where root is displayed is gone.  On the left side it seems to cut off all the way tp the s in unleashx.  So you don't see the folder icon or the word up to that point.

harrytasker

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

Mmmm i tried the back and start button but it doesn't do anything for me, it just boots up with 480p.
Do i have to change some setting in the dashboard first????

Using Xenium os1.1 and HiDef pack...

unleashx

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »

Yup, you need to enable those options in MS Dash.

harrytasker

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 08:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Mar 24 2004, 06:06 PM)
Yup, you need to enable those options in MS Dash.

I mean do i have to set it up in the UnleashX dashboard, cause everything in the MSdash is already setup for me, my projector supports all the outputs made available by the XBOX... blink.gif

unleashx

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 08:58:00 AM »

Then just do as above, press and hold "START" button while booting for 720p, "BACK" button for 1080i.

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 09:06:00 AM »

Yeah I was extremely surprised last night when I fired it up and the screen/fonts lined up so well. Awesome work on the first try... One of the mods should organize a little donation of $ in order to buy you a surprise x2vga adaptor as a present. wink.gif

I'll take some screenshots of the default skin and filemanager when I get back home tonight... As far as the high res skinning goes, thanks for the clarification. I'll have to give it a shot later when I find some more free time.

A couple more quick question/clarification. If I understand your post correctly and for some miracle I or someone else can spit out a 1280x720 video in .xmv format or even a plain .png, and use that as a background, the current release should be able to upscale the background to 1080i, correct? If so, the screensize tag should be <ScreenSize Width="1280" />?

What happens when you have a skin that is 1920x1080? Will UX also scale down for the 720p users? Or will skinners have to make "optimized" versions of their skins that work well with 720p or 1080i?

Thinking of all the diffrent combinations now just boggles my mind. I can't even imagine what it's like to code this kind of stuff...  beerchug.gif

harrytasker

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

mmm sorry but it doesnt work for me sofar. Do i need to have a special skinsize or something? ????
My settings in MSdash are ok, just played MXuleashed at 1080i!!!

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 09:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (harrytasker @ Mar 24 2004, 11:18 AM)
mmm sorry but it doesnt work for me sofar. Do i need to have a special skinsize or something? ????
My settings in MSdash are ok, just played MXuleashed at 1080i!!!

Are you holding down the "BACK" button the entire time starting from powerup/bootup to when the skin finally appears?

harrytasker

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »

yes, i tried it several times, got latest UnleashX which supports HDtv.
Maybe the xenium is causing troubles??????
thnx for help btw smile.gif

unleashx

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (-FourDoor- @ Mar 25 2004, 02:06 AM)
A couple more quick question/clarification. If I understand your post correctly and for some miracle I or someone else can spit out a 1280x720 video in .xmv format or even a plain .png, and use that as a background, the current release should be able to upscale the background to 1080i, correct? If so, the screensize tag should be <ScreenSize Width="1280" />?

What happens when you have a skin that is 1920x1080? Will UX also scale down for the 720p users? Or will skinners have to make "optimized" versions of their skins that work well with 720p or 1080i?

Thinking of all the diffrent combinations now just boggles my mind. I can't even imagine what it's like to code this kind of stuff...  beerchug.gif

Background images/videos should scale up/down irregardless of the screensize tag. The screensize tag is only useful for the infotext, shapes and windowed images (meaning the ones that doesn't take the entire screen, like game icons). If the size matches the selected resolution, then, no scaling is necessary. Note that while an 1920x1080 image may look good, it takes longer to load them.

720p and 1081i have the same aspect ratio, so any skin designed for each should look good on any of them. -that is if I can make smart scaling perfect cool.gif . But for all intesive purposes, if you don't want to do any automatic scaling and want it to look exactly that way you like it to, then, skinners should create an "optimized" version.

I'll add some settings to enable these options without having to go to the dash, experimental on my part, of course, and will take the need to press those buttons in future releases. "Back" will be the safeboot, meaning prevents switching to any of the higher res mode.

WabidWoveren

• Archived User
Hdtv Test
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

CODE

i made up the .25 and .35 so dont expect them to work
Pages: [1] 2