xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2 New Function Requests.  (Read 382 times)

hydraulix

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »

ladies ladies,....

take it EASY,....god id hate to see you guys at it in real life,...

actually id probably pay $$ to see that. anyhow, its only a discussion about features. a TEXT based discussion, nothing more. if things like this really heat you up in the real world, consider unplugging for a while.

Stick to the topic and keep the feature suggestions rolling, you guys have really come up with some nice feature suggestions. Leave the bitching and flaming at home.

CaliSurfer008

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »

smile.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »

Well.. I do know what WTF means.. and no matter how *YOU* look at it.. you are still swearing at me... and since you wanna accuss me of flaming ... go ahead and point them out...

In the mean time.. I'll be busy ignoring you..

thanks..

It may be swearing but it is not cursing *{_}at you{_}*
I wasn't saying you flame too much, just that your attidude seems like it needs a bit of cheering up everynow and then, i agree totally with what crobar and sirsmooth said.

th3gh05t

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (sirsmooth @ Feb 9 2004, 09:47 PM)
This is pissing me off.
I really don’t like 'yourwishismines' attitude. I know you bring allot to the Xbox scene but it feels to me like you are trying to OWN the scene.
I know most things you say are what YOU think and you talk from your POV, but I don’t know why you have to post them here. You’re always putting
Someone/something down.
If it was constructive critisism I would understand but its not.
If a new dash comes out with a few good features you would be straight on their forum and picking little holes in UX, ‘the old dashboard’.

Sorry I had to say this but I keep biting my tongue when I see your posts, but not this time.
To me you are a bad apple to the Xbox scene.
This forum had a lot less bad vibes till you started posting.

I am a man of few words

ahem, "Well, said."

Master-Chief

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »

tongue.gif

Master-Chief

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

endo

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

OmenX

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

Hi,

I dont know much about programming and dont know if this could done in the XBox, but i would like to see a disk defragmenter. Im always moving stuff about on the HD, so it must be due for a defrag at some point.

Cheers,
OmenX

crobar

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 06:22:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

endo

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2004, 03:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (soundwookie @ Feb 12 2004, 05:08 PM)
If you want to defrag your drive, you could simply copy everything on a particular partition to your pc, reformat that partition, then copy it back. Doing so would ensure that the data gets rewritten contiguously.

This is a common misconception. The spinning speed of the HDD remains constant, while the speed of the data stream coming from a network transfer would be 1. inconsistant 2. not capable of saturating the bandwidth of the harddrive to begin with.

Try it on two PC's where the results can be validated. Setup one with a clean install of Windows, and defrag it. The do a huge ftp transfer, analyze with the defrag tool and see what you end up with.

yourwishismine

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2004, 06:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (endo @ Feb 13 2004, 07:29 AM)
This is a common misconception. The spinning speed of the HDD remains constant, while the speed of the data stream coming from a network transfer would be 1. inconsistant 2. not capable of saturating the bandwidth of the harddrive to begin with.

Try it on two PC's where the results can be validated. Setup one with a clean install of Windows, and defrag it. The do a huge ftp transfer, analyze with the defrag tool and see what you end up with.

Um.. sorry.. that's not exactly correct...

1) the spinning speed of the hard drive does not remain constant

2) the operating system (or more exactly, the file system that the operating system is installed on) controlls how the data is written to the hard drive [and not the hard drive]

endo

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2004, 06:35:00 AM »

the spinning speed of the hard drive does not remain constant

Thanks for clearing that one up.  rolleyes.gif

You should really refrain from posting if you don't know what you are talking about.  Misinformation breeds on itself. I refer you to http://www.pctechguide.com/04disks.htm.

Here's a quote for ya:

"The performance of a hard disk is very important to the overall speed of the system - a slow hard disk having the potential to hinder a fast processor like no other system component - and the effective speed of a hard disk is determined by a number of factors.

Chief among them is the rotational speed of the platters. Disk RPM is a critical component of hard drive performance because it directly impacts the latency and the disk transfer rate. The faster the disk spins, the more data passes under the magnetic heads that read the data; the slower the RPM, the higher the mechanical latencies. Hard drives only spin at one constant speed, and for some time most fast EIDE hard disks span at 5,400rpm, while a fast SCSI drive was capable of 7,200rpm. In 1997 Seagate pushed spin speed to a staggering 10,033rpm with the launch of its UltraSCSI Cheetah drive and, in mid 1998, was also the first manufacturer to release an EIDE hard disk with a spin rate of 7,200rpm."

yourwishismine

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »

QUOTE (endo @ Feb 17 2004, 10:35 AM)
the spinning speed of the hard drive does not remain constant

Thanks for clearing that one up.  rolleyes.gif

You should really refrain from posting if you don't know what you are talking about.  Misinformation breeds on itself. I refer you to http://www.pctechguide.com/04disks.htm.

Here's a quote for ya:

"The performance of a hard disk is very important to the overall speed of the system - a slow hard disk having the potential to hinder a fast processor like no other system component - and the effective speed of a hard disk is determined by a number of factors.

Chief among them is the rotational speed of the platters. Disk RPM is a critical component of hard drive performance because it directly impacts the latency and the disk transfer rate. The faster the disk spins, the more data passes under the magnetic heads that read the data; the slower the RPM, the higher the mechanical latencies. Hard drives only spin at one constant speed, and for some time most fast EIDE hard disks span at 5,400rpm, while a fast SCSI drive was capable of 7,200rpm. In 1997 Seagate pushed spin speed to a staggering 10,033rpm with the launch of its UltraSCSI Cheetah drive and, in mid 1998, was also the first manufacturer to release an EIDE hard disk with a spin rate of 7,200rpm."

Ok... you have proved here that you take everything that you read to be true...

when you have worked in the industry for as long as I have, come back when you know what you are talking about.

If you take all you information from a book or newspaper or webclippings.. you will shurely get several different points of views of other people.

I bring to the board.. information and knowledge from working in the industry for several years...

I am not wrong on this.. believe what you want to... I know that the informatino that I gave was 100% correct...

endo

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »

Basic hard disk drive mechanics don't have one thing to do with "different points of views of other people". I quoted an impartial source of information so as to not appear to be speaking from my ass, as you appear to be doing. I google'd "hard disk platter speed", and quoted information from the first article in the list. I suppose I should have listed and quoted from the other 50 that explained hard disk technology in the same simple terms, but silly me, i felt it would have been redundant. I would very much like to see any of the "books or newspaper or webclippings" that validate anything you have said. Your "I am right, you are wrong" rebuttal is thin to say the least.

soundwookie

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

Endo,

I have not performed your little test, perhaps I will sometime. Have you ever done this? Regardless, you are taking the essential nature of a very complex device, and applying it literally. Before you read that article, did you really think that data from a network (or any other source) was written directly and arbitrarily to a platter? Ever heard of a buffer?

In addition, you had to use google to find out information on hard drives? You've never had a class on it? I prefer to reference "textbooks" over "articles" anyday. I agree that yourwish's rebuttal was weak at best, but I must say that the core of your response to my post was on par.

I don't know for certain that it does or doesn't work. I haven't tried it. I really don't find the issue to be that big of a deal. When data get written to a platter, it's not written like a record anyways. So, even when the data is "defragmented", it's still striped across platters anyways. In theory, it should work. Data is not written arbitrarly to a platter, but even when copying straight from a dvd to a hd, there's still no guarentee that the data will end up completely contiguously. The pretty little maps you see on defrag programs all have thresholds, and there's certain acceptable levels of fragmentation.

The point of this is not to argue about who is right. The point is to discuss fragmentation on an xbox hard drive, and if it is necessary to defragment. One reason why I really don't think it's a big deal is because the hard drive can stream data out of it's IDE port way faster than a DVD drive can anyways. So much so that it really doesn't matter if it's fragmented, since it can stream the data faster from it's multiple faster platters than the DVD drive's substrate.

Peace out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3