xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2 New Function Requests.  (Read 383 times)

CaliSurfer008

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« on: February 07, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »

you can ftp from PC to Xbox...don't need avalaunch for that

hydraulix

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 05:24:00 AM »

hes saying and/or pc/xbox to another xbox. I would personally love to see both of these features included with UnleashX. Especially an internal FTP client that can autosense other UnleashX boxes like Avalaunch does. I'll finally be able to delete Ava from my xbox 8)

Also, direct mp3 support would rock, although I do like having the integrated WMA option to play my music ingame and throughout the dash, its a hassle to get them all on there using the Soundtrack Editor app, its riddled with bugs, and you also must combine a mp32wma converter to it to get it to upload. Granted its not rocket science to get your tracks onto your xbox in this fashion, just somewhat of a mission.

To be able to dump a shitload of mp3's (which we all have a large collection of) into a dir and randomly play those,.....i think the world would be a better place.

hydraulix

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »

its not being lazy,...

its simply practicality.

also, why would you want to convert an already lossy format (mp3) down to another lossy format. the ONLY way WMA can sound any better than mp3 is if the WMA files have been encoded from an original source, EG; CD/SACD/DVD-A, etc.

with that being said, I personally would love to have both options, I like WMA, and I know its a better sounding format for audiophiles out there like myself, but only when ripped from an uncompressed source.

btw, xbox rips WMA @ 128k not 96k.

crobar

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »

i hate when peopel push wma...wma sucks you cant edit their tags and
like hydraulix siad it maks no sence to conver to another lossy sound format.
MS controlls everything i dont need them controlling my music too...
id much rather point to my mp3 directory than to convert every ting to another format...its just a waste of time
not only that but some mp3s convert bad to wma and your left wiht blips and shit in your music.
mp3's are just easier

and i also would love to see ftp support on that level, but only if it dosent slow down unleash as with any updates to this great dash

crobar

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »

dude...are you that hung up over your wma's...its a freggin feature request and a small one at that nothing worth changing dashboards over...
jeeze, fucking get a life

MissSplitch

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »

Yeah, MS "LAB TESTING." WMA's compression just leaves out a range instead of setting a peak. I don't think the question of whether or not it should support format A over format B is one of sound quality, since really it's only serving as a background sound anyway (and if it sounds remotely CDish for that purpose, that's find by most, I'm sure.) but a question of convenience for the end user, as conversion is a hassle if you've got a lot of them.

However I'm all for the hassle being the end-user's problem. They can eat potatos until the turkey's done. (And really, if you've got more than 5 songs as background music, you're sitting at the dash for way too long; start playing something.)

mamajo

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »

Actually what I would like to be able to do is play shoutcast streams in the background, with a variable for the default stream to play.

Use Avalaunch.

And yeah, definitely ftp client built into the file manager. xbftp is my least favorite homebrew app on my box, I would love to make my app list even smaller.

Use Avalaunch.

and BTW Ava has just been updated.

CaliSurfer008

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (mamajo @ Feb 8 2004, 03:26 PM)
Actually what I would like to be able to do is play shoutcast streams in the background, with a variable for the default stream to play.

Use Avalaunch.

And yeah, definitely ftp client built into the file manager. xbftp is my least favorite homebrew app on my box, I would love to make my app list even smaller.

Use Avalaunch.

and BTW Ava has just been updated.

that was unnecessary

mamajo

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »

that was unnecessary

No it wasn't. He said he wanted to make his list smaller then he should use Ava instead of XBFTP (his least fav app).

yourwishismine

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (mamajo @ Feb 8 2004, 05:33 PM)
that was unnecessary

No it wasn't. He said he wanted to make his list smaller then he should use Ava instead of XBFTP (his least fav app).

I really love a lot of the features that Avalaunch brings to the table... but I can't stand running a dash that doesn't support preview videos, MXM spoiled me there..
I still love MXM... but as of the direction that it's going... I not sure that it's what I'd want to use in a dashboard...

I probably shoudn't say this... but I will anyway.. I think releases of dashboards should be more frequent and instead of including craps-of-new-features... they should be small frequent releases that are bug fixes.. untill the known bugs are swatted.. then the next release could incorporated 2 or 3 new features... and the process would then start over of eliminate the bugs with small frequent releases until finished.. then incorporate 2 or 3 more new features... that's just how I would like to see it done.. instead of having to wait months for the next release....

Morglum

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 08:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (yourwishismine @ Feb 9 2004, 12:09 AM)
I probably shoudn't say this... but I will anyway.. I think releases of dashboards should be more frequent and instead of including craps-of-new-features... they should be small frequent releases that are bug fixes.. untill the known bugs are swatted.. then the next release could incorporated 2 or 3 new features... and the process would then start over of eliminate the bugs with small frequent releases until finished.. then incorporate 2 or 3 more new features... that's just how I would like to see it done.. instead of having to wait months for the next release....

I couldnt agree with you more there!

chilin_dude

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 09:35:00 AM »

I still love MXM... but as of the direction that it's going... I not sure that it's what I'd want to use in a dashboard...

dry.gif WTF? what direction do you mean by that?

chilin_dude

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (yourwishismine @ Feb 9 2004, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Feb 9 2004, 01:35 PM)

dry.gif WTF? what direction do you mean by that?

Well.. your swearing at me .. make me not want to even answer you... but anyway... the direction that Ben Jeremy is seeming to want to focus on is the ActionScripting and Skinning capabilities of the dashboard... these are fine.. but I would much rather see them pushed back till things that *I* consider more important... It's not that there is anything wrong with the focus that Ben Jeremy is taking with MXM.. I love ActionScripting since it is very similar to BASIC and I'm a whip when it comes to BASIC programming.. and I'm fairly good at C++ as well... anyway... I much more prefere things like a sweet file browser, like UnleashX has... Anyway.. I know Ben Jeremy is working on implemeting a sweet UI and I file browser, but until I use these features and see how the 'compare' (I'm not really comparing, just noting how well the work *for me*).  For people that want to do actionscripting and are great skinners and like to (and have time) to make awesome skins.. then perhaps MXM the dashboard for them.  Right now.. I stick to UnleashX... but I've never abandonded MXM.. I'm just not using it until the next public release is out.... I'm hoping for a great release from Ben Jeremy... however... I'm not wanting to rush him... at the same time... I'm excited and looking forward to it.. and it makes it hard to wait...

so there's your 'WTF'...

please refrain from cursing at me in the future.. for I will be more likely to just ignore you then...

Ok to start with WTF means What the fuck, this wasn't being used as an insult as a curse, simply as a why. I would have thought you would have known that seeing how many times you flame.
Also it's your perogative to use unleash x and prefer the file browser etc to action scripts and skinning.
Personally i prefer the scripting and skinning capabilities coming up and there is also going to be a file explorer implemented.

This is in  no way a insult to unleashx as i know that this is a well regarded dashboard and it's people's choice to use it, so it must be good.

sirsmooth

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »

This is pissing me off.
I really don’t like 'yourwishismines' attitude. I know you bring allot to the Xbox scene but it feels to me like you are trying to OWN the scene.
I know most things you say are what YOU think and you talk from your POV, but I don’t know why you have to post them here. You’re always putting
Someone/something down.
If it was constructive critisism I would understand but its not.
If a new dash comes out with a few good features you would be straight on their forum and picking little holes in UX, ‘the old dashboard’.

Sorry I had to say this but I keep biting my tongue when I see your posts, but not this time.
To me you are a bad apple to the Xbox scene.
This forum had a lot less bad vibes till you started posting.

crobar

• Archived User
2 New Function Requests.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

but I would much rather see them pushed back till things that *I* consider more important...

ok so this dash is all about the features you deam worthy of going in????
you like wma better so everyone should use wma... you think your ways are so much better that anyone elses.

this post was made for a feature request not for you to slam someones ideas and tell people your way is better!

i will curse at you cause youre a self centered prick. from what ive seen in both mxm and unleash forums 90% of the users want mp3 support who the fuck are you to slam  their request??!!

i dont know but the last time i checked these programers were out making dashboards for the user base not just 'yourwishismine'

you program? make your own dash so you can tell people whats up.
Pages: [1] 2 3