xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Having A Problem Installing A Uix Skin  (Read 688 times)

Clive Van Houten

• Archived User
Having A Problem Installing A Uix Skin
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »

Hi everyone,

I recently found UIX while looking for a Xenosaga skin and came across this very cool looking dashboard and decided to give it a shot. I'm working with a 1.6 Xbox and dumped all of the UIX files (Audio/Sound) (UIX Dash) (1.6 UPDATE XBE) into one UIX directory and installed it on my F drive, rather than my e drive so that I could test it first before moving it. I also downloaded the Xenosaga_UIX skin and was really looking forward to seeing it in action. I was able to boot up UIX no problems, find my way to the skins menu and select the Xenosaga skin, however the white background image of Kos-Mos did not show while everything else did. So I came here to look around the forum topics to see if I could find an answer and I learned that the skin-name should read the same as the folder name, i.e. Folder=Xenosaga, skinname= Xenosaga.xbx.

After extracting the Xenosaga skin folder from the rar file, it contains a file named "Xenosaga.xbx" as well as a file named "background.xbx". But aside from that I don't know how to use them or if they are in the correct directory they are supposed to be in.

I also read the following about changing the code from xboxlogo.xbx to background.xbx and removing the two forward slashes on the left, but this only makes the UIX dashboard crash each time I load it. The only way to repair the situation is to reupload the original unchanged default.xip. So I'm kind of at a loss without knowing anything else to try. If anyone could provide some additional help, that would be great as I'm really looking forward to getting this to work!

Thanks for your time.

-CVH
-SkyeWelse

-----

When i add a background.xbx where should i put it, in the skin folder or somewhere else?, i can't seem to get it working

yeah, put it in the dir of the skin that you want it to show in, but
you have to go into default.xap/default.xip and change a line.... look for
CODE
DEF theBackground Background
{
   skyColor 0 0 0
   //backdrop ImageTexture { url "xboxlogo.xbx" }
}

and change it to
CODE
DEF theBackground Background
{
   skyColor 0 0 0
   backdrop ImageTexture { url "background.xbx" }
}

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

The UIX dash caches itself into the Udata folder 0ffeeff0.
Delete that folder and upload the edited files.

Clive Van Houten

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »

Thanks for pointing out that deleting 0ffeeff0 will restore the dashboard. That really helps when trying to restore everything to default settings. Only problem is, even after deleting Offeeff0 and editing the default.xip file so that it reads as "background" and not "xboxlogo" and even removing the two forward slashes and uploading it, it still nets the same results in that UIX will not launch. Instead it resets the Xbox and it goes back into my Avalaunch that I have currently set in the root folder on E.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm making sure to clear the cache before uploading the edited file, and I "think" I'm editing the file correctly so that I take out the // at the beginning of backdrop ImageTexture and replacing { url "xboxlogo.xbx" so that it reads as "background.xbx".

Is there something that needs to be moved either in or out of the Xenosaga skin file folder itself for this to launch correctly? Is there a way to alter one of the Xenosaga backgrounds so that it reads as "xboxlogo.xbx" instead?

Thanks for your help,

-CVH
-SkyeWelse

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

You guys need to make sure you actually have the skin installed correctly, and that the edited default.xip has been saved and ftp'd over properly.

To check that the file was ftp'd right, ftp it back over to your pc in a different location or as a different name and check to see if the changes are there. If they are, delete the cache one last time. If that still didn't get it, it's the skin's fault.

Download another skin and test them out.