xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Skinning Tutorial  (Read 704 times)

midas

• Archived User
Skinning Tutorial
« on: July 31, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »

***THIS IS NOT A TUTORIAL***

This is a request, to a few senior skinners, to get together enough info to fully make a new skin.

Sure we all know about Fast xbx2dds2img, and we've all played with Material Configurer Professional, but what really sets a good Odb718 skin apart from the rest, are the custom xm's. That is what really makes his (and others) stand out from the crowd. I have been messing around with 3D Studio Max, Deep Exploration, and the UIX XM Tool, but have hit several large snags. I made a cylindrical cellwall, but for some reason UIX would not texture it. All I got was white on the cell wall.

I know Odb718 doesn't like handing out info, he is more into that learn for yourself stuff, but a little helping hand would be greatly appreciated.

Odb718

• Archived User
Skinning Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »

I know Odb718 doesn't like handing out info, he is more into that learn for yourself stuff, but a little helping hand would be greatly appreciated.

:huh:  I think you got that backwards...

UIX skinning tutorial would be way to long for the average person to fully understand.
It'd have to be writen in chunks so people could pic out the one part of the skin they needed to learn about.
I think that's why no one has writen one. Honestly, I couldn't write a full UIX skinning tutorial like my tHc skinning because I dont know too much about Material Configurer Professional. But if you want a tutorial on making meshes I'll see what I can't do.
I think you're just getting stuck on putting a material on the mesh in 3DS max.

midas

• Archived User
Skinning Tutorial
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »

I know that is the area that I am getting my problems on. A modeling tutorial is what I really need. I think anyone who tries skinning for UIX knows enough about MCP and the xbx's.

Odb718

• Archived User
Skinning Tutorial
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »

haxjester

• Archived User
Skinning Tutorial
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »

making a skinning tutorial for uix is something that alot of ppl have requested over time.  
i agree with odb that it would be a hell of an undertaking, but alot of it could be used from older thc skinning tuts (ie. kanabarra's tuts, odb's tuts, gasclown's tuts).  it would be a project for several ppl.  and with 2.0 comin out (yes it will be out, and yes it will rock)  there are goin to be several changes.  if odb, imok, acidbath, and gas are up to it, i would help to work on one, but like i said, it wouldnt be worked on, or even close to comin out until 2.0 is rls'ed.  as for now, the best things are to comb the forums (yeah, it can be a pain sometimes) to find info on how to do so.  as for 3d modeling tuts (other than the one that odb just provided) those are best found usin google, and just playin around with the dash itself.  (alot can be learned by taking what it already there and modifying it)  

haxjester