xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Features  (Read 964 times)

d0wnlab

• Archived User
Features
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »

Hi Everyone,

While working on my dash I'm at a point where I'm looking for input on features that should be available.  I'll start by listing features I already have working/planned.

Please keep in mind a couple things.  First off, there is no networking support in the OpenXDK yet.  Nor is there accelerated 3D.  Also, this is a dash.  I don't want to hear "I want <mp3 player/movie player/emulator/game/etc> in the dash", because, frankly, most of that stuff doesn't belong integrated into a dash imho.  My goal is to have a dash that could be used as the basis of an installer, or something similiar, and works fluidly as a dashboard should.

Alright, so:

FileActions
- copy file, move file, backup eeprom to file, delete file, create directory, maybe delete directory if requested.
- format drives?  I don't know how to implement this, so we'll see.

XboxActions
- open tray, close tray, reboot, shutdown, set fan speed, set LED colors
- unlock/lock harddisks? I'm guessing they're BIOS calls, haven't looked into it.

Scripts
- any series of events can be linked together into a script, for example a backup script could
- create directory c:/backup
- backup eeprom to c:/backup/eeprom.bak
- copy msdash.xbe to c:/backup/dash.bak
- etc.

General functionality
- scan directory for /whatever.xbe (usually default.xbe), adding entries to menu.
- launch games from whereever (dvd/hd/etc) properly.
- hotkeys (ie, L+R+Y goes to "Games", L+R+Down launchs halo, etc)
- change skin on the fly

linux functionality
friedgold has done some amazing work on the linux minidistro that comes with the dash.  It's smaller and features:
- telnet/ftp server
- mounts all accessible partitions
- crazily, it has a menu system that uses the xbox controller!!!  Users can backup their eeprom/etc, and select a number of options, via the menu, as well as reboot and power down their xbox.  Too cool!

skinning/display
- different skin for each menu if you want it.  IE user clicks on "Games", background & fonts all change
- accessible "widgets" for display: MB/CPU temp, tray state
- todo: date/time displays, fan speed, I'm thinking a "tooltip" widget so you can have custom text float above a specific menu option

Emergency
- I hope to embed a skin into the app so that it could work with only the XBE if need be.

So.. what's missing?  What's needed for a softmod-friendly dash?

afon

• Archived User
Features
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

I would say make this thing look pretty would be number one. If you can make this thing look like XBMC then you have a pretty strong candidate. Aside from this, i would say:

1) Make it skinnable in every aspect (fonts and all)
2) Add preview icons for games and apps
3) Give us a reason to use this before any other dash, do something crazy that hasnt been done. Is the gentoox MCE open source? Try to take some code from that!

Just thought of a crazy feature. Use Pheonix Bios loader/Nk patcher's source to merge a crazy on the fly bios change from dash. To make this even more wild, have the user be able to load this while running cromwell.

d0wnlab

• Archived User
Features
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(friedgold)
You can see the code for the linux mkfs.fatx here. Maybe you can use that to get ideas of how the formatting should work.

xenonmodz

• Archived User
Features
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

From a perspective as an installer to function as a boot dash from media, which is great because what you are providing is free and legal to the community. I would find these actions most usuable in the raw.

A. Formating/Partitioning Tool
B. Back-up Dash to C: - (Although this is usually performed via Network, it would be a great feature)
C. Locking/Unlocking Tool
D. Back up eeprom/flash eeprom tool (if possible to a memory card for safety).

wolf202

• Archived User
Features
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »

i know that i have said this before but i really think that we should try to get to as close as we can to evox and when we go that far improve open xdk so its a 100% the same.

-wolf

jcupp114

• Archived User
Features
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »

The scripting, caching, eeprom, skin loading on-the-fly, password protection is a good offer as well
jcupp114

jcupp114

• Archived User
Features
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

3d skinables if possible.

d0wnlab

• Archived User
Features
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

3d? don't hold your breath