xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Install A Dash With No Dash..  (Read 823 times)

Reign2425

• Archived User
How To Install A Dash With No Dash..
« on: June 17, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

Ok long story short I found my modded xbox that i had not used in a bout a year or so, it has an xecuter2 with a chip. So i booted it up and from the start i get an error 16..Ive done some serious research and have burned about 8 copies of slayer 2.7.... ( probably the dvd's i have)
How can i install a Dash or get the original one ? I just loaded up flashfxp but how do i figure out my xbox ip address.

The xbox goes as far as the XBOX slash green and xecuter2 pops up at the bottom, I even went as far as loading up an old xbox game and it loaded until i tried to use the shortcut options on the controller to take it back to the dash.

Basically all i need to know is if i can FTP to the xbox can i install my dash again and if not any other suggestions? i figured everything is in working order since i am not getting other error codes.

Thanks in advance

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »

You can't FTP until there is a dash up and running - the FTP server is in the dash.

You have to use DVD-R, burned at 4x or slower. The Xbox won't read anything else reliably. You should try burning HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc) instead of Slayers - it's newer, and has more tools.

If you are getting Error 16 then you probably need a newer BIOS - one that bypasses the clock loop problem. This also means that there isn't an MS Dash on the hard drive, and you might not be able to boot a DVD. To fix this you need to get an MS Dash onto the drive. There are two possible solutions:

- use a post 2004 (Halo 2 or later) Live-enabled game to install a new dash. Just go through the motions of signing in to live, the first thing the game should do is update (or replace ) the dash.
- if that doesn't work, you might have to take the disk out of the Xbox and use Xplorer360 beta 6 to put a clean MS Dash on your C partition, so you can then set the clock and boot from the DVD. If the disk is locked you'll have to unlock it first with xboxhdm and your eeprom.

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Jun 18 2012, 12:56 AM

Reign2425

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »

Thank you so much for the quick answers. I don't have an old Xbox game to try at the moment but im sure it will be easy to get a hold of one and i am currently downloading Hexen and once i get Nero off it's great "power calibration error" .......I'll try that out  biggrin.gif
Thank you again

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »

infrarecorder / imgburn
will burn the disk for you without paffing about with nero.

Reign2425

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:00 AM »

Ok so I got hexen running on the box but now what? I went to install dashboards and I get an error. My C: currently has nothing in it. Should I install the dash in that drive or does it matter what drive it's on? Also if I keep getting these errors could I just now FTP into the Xbox and move the files to whatever drive they need to be on?
Thanks

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:57:00 AM »

What are you doing, which errors are you getting, and at which point in the process?

Reign2425

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:24:00 AM »

All errors are gone Im just lost .....How do I install a dash. I went to dashboard tools / repair tools and install dashboards and all it shows is it coping from one drive to another.
My current drive show as
C: 0.00mb free
E: 4.870.94mb free
F: 123.408.50
G: 0.00

The moment I take hexen out I get back to the error 13 problem again so I'm assuming no dashboard is being installed. Is it easier just to get hexen running and FTP the files into whatever drive they have to be in?
Does it matter what drive the dash is in? Which other files do I have to switch around ?

This post has been edited by Reign2425: Jun 20 2012, 12:30 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »

Did you read the instructions for "Dashboard Repair Tools"?
This section repairs common dashboard faults on Xboxes built with this disk. It should rarely be required. Use with other softmods or flashed Xboxes may cause unpredictable results.
As you can see, it isn't designed to install the primary dashboard, and as you didn't build your Xbox with HeXEn it's hardly surprising that it isn't having much effect in repairing the dashboards installed by HeXEn.

You have two choices.
1. Boot with HeXEn then use FTP to manually restore your dash
2. Use HeXEn option "3.5.3. New Disk, NTSC Xbox" or "3.5.4. New Disk, PAL Xbox" to install your dash and set up the rest of your system.

Reign2425

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 20 2012, 06:35 AM) View Post

You have two choices.
1. Boot with HeXEn then use FTP to manually restore your dash
2. Use HeXEn option "3.5.3. New Disk, NTSC Xbox" or "3.5.4. New Disk, PAL Xbox" to install your dash and set up the rest of your system.

I went with option 2 but I have a couple other questions. Does it matter how I make my partitions. The partitions sizes I posted earlier are from a clean new disk option. From that point how would I go about putting a dash.
Thanks

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »

HeXEn "puts" the dash for you. How you set up F/G is entirely up to your personal preference. You don't have to make any changes if you don't want to - If you're happy with 123GB of storage for games, emulators, media etc. in F then when XBPartitioner 1.1 launches just cancel without writing any changes.

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Jun 20 2012, 12:48 PM

Reign2425

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »

Ok so I did all that and it looked like everything copied over fine. I now have stuff In my C: ,I can even hit my shortcut to go to the dash and I see unleash x but without hexen nothing boots.
I'm currently looking at the unleash dash and it's asking for a bios flash. This is the first time I've been on the actual dash. Also when everything is done should I restart from this cd or just th off normally?

Edit : I am finally looking at a working dash with a clear partition  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Thank you so much for the help.

This post has been edited by Reign2425: Jun 20 2012, 01:16 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »

When it's working properly it should start without any boot disk.
QUOTE(Reign2425 @ Jun 20 2012, 01:09 PM) View Post
I'm currently looking at the unleash dash and it's asking for a bios flash.
UnleashX doesn't flash BIOSes, and doesn't ask you to flash the BIOS. What exactly do you do to get to that screen, what exactly can you see, what exactly is the text on the screen?

I can even hit my shortcut to go to the dash and I see unleash x
Which shortcut? When do you do this? Booting with or without HeXen?

but without hexen nothing boots
It sounds as though whoever installed your chip flashed a very non-standard BIOS. Almost every BIOS out there has C:\evoxdash.xbe as one of its dash locations, yours obviously hasn't. You have two choices:

- use trial and error to find the non-standard dash name and location that your BIOS is looking for, and put your dash there manually
- use HeXEn to flash a new BIOS that works properly.

Edit: Read your edit, glad you got it sorted. smile.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

Might be worth replacing the IDE cable as well. That caused a lot of problems for me after not using mine for a few years. All the errors went away after putting a new one in. My HDD kept reading as 0 and throwing errors as well sounds like what you might have.