xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Philips Drive Tweak Tutorial  (Read 690 times)

ioiotutu

• Archived User
Philips Drive Tweak Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2003, 02:28:00 AM »

i have a thomson drive.
The adjustment seems to be similar to philips. I tried all position of pot (from 1600ohm to 800 ohm), the best position is about 920ohm.
The situation is a little bit better but the drive doesn't read cdrw. My impression is thet the problem it isn't the gain, this is confirmed also by the pot that is very sensible to turning (moving a little the pot change the resistence a lot!!). For me the problem is in other place (optical, laser or firmware).
What do you think?

psazerodivide

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2003, 05:48:00 PM »

tongue.gif

rotomax

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »

I have just a simple question: which of two mini screws is for DVD pickup and which is for CD pickup?
Why don't try to adjust both?

naymenos

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2003, 08:50:00 AM »

Good .
At the intend calibrate my philps in order to read cdr's , not me it was possible obtain and at the go back to her posicion opening no more we manage which me they caught the DVD quaint nor imitations. She thinks which it used to be sake of the pot and puse 660 Ohmio , him gauged to Ohmios and I have achieved but of 100 tests , but me is impossible which me lea quaint and imitations at DVD only , order read cdrw.
I have one foto of as itself she has stayed hereinafter of weld one pot of 1K. Around whether the formal accusation view. But now that he know-how awfully hours rather than by funciona which me she touches do?, can I buy a one DVD Xbox?.

I don't talk well but I'm Spanish At once itself which esta her possibility of put one DVD Outward and interior but not we'll read the quaint.

Papa

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »

Adjusted the POT on my philips drive and can Read CD-RW but now can't read DVD's or origianal games? I only adjusted the one POT as in the diagram.

Is there a chance I have ruined my drive?
Should I play with the Other POT screw? Can someone confirm this is for DVD pickup?
I have tried changing it back to the original position where I have marked it but still no go.

Anyone?

Thanks
Papa

xzonex

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2003, 03:36:00 AM »

wink.gif

Meisi

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2003, 12:54:00 AM »

sad.gif

Noone nows if anything else coulde be damaged?
Thx for any answer!

Meisi

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2003, 10:10:00 AM »

You guys with the "busted" drives need to use a multimeter, instead of relying on crappy markings and such.

As stated, doing a tweak is "at your own risk" - but it really shouldn't be that bad for a patient person willing to use the correct tools and put up with the repetitive process of disassemble-tweak-assemble-try until getting the thing correct.

Another cliche in play here is "Your Mileage May Vary" - meaning one person's settings may not work for another.

Tweaking those pots essentially changes the power to the laser diode (lower ohms means more power). Adjusting the ohms too low will most likely result in a shorter lifespan for your drive's laser (and thus,  the drive itself).

If your system reads the media it's expected to read, LEAVE IT ALONE. Compatibility generally follows the following:

Philips-
- DVD-R
- DVD-RW
- DVD+R
- DVD+RW
- CD-RW
- (some?) CD-R

Samsung-
- DVD-R
- DVD-RW
- (Some) DVD+R
- (Some) DVD+RW
- CD-RW
- CD-R

Thomson-
- DVD-R
- DVD-RW
- DVD+R
- DVD+RW
- CD-RW

If it's marked "(some)" then it might work, but don't expect it to. Only try tweaking it if it doesn't work with a media it should work with.

As for CD-RW compatibility, try a lot of brands first... some brands NEVER work for CD-RW on the Xbox. Also, test it against a friend's Xbox, if possible.

In short, don't tweak if you don't have to. If you are desperate to get CD-R/RW working, think about getting a DVD-R burner, instead.

Papa

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »

wacko.gif And I am sure these questions sound silly. But I would rather play it safe now (bit late, i know) and get everyones advise, esspeccially when we have experienced electronic technician's on the forums.

Thanks for any help, I will be forever greatfull.
Papa

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2003, 07:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (Papa @ Jan 31 2003, 11:05 PM)
If I can still read CD-RW disks would you guys think there is a good chance of fixing this?

I have gone and bought myself a multimeter and have been reading all i can find about using etc.  But I would really be very greatfull for a bit more detail on how to test the ohm's of the POT.

Is it resistance i am testing? I am assuming I set this multimeter to 20k or 200k (in Ohms). I measure between 1a and 3a  then turn and test again till i have correct approx 300ohms ? Does power need to be plugged in?

I know I shouldn't have played with this at all if i wasn't sure what i was doing. wacko.gif And I am sure these questions sound silly. But I would rather play it safe now (bit late, i know) and get everyones advise, esspeccially when we have experienced electronic technician's on the forums.

Thanks for any help, I will be forever greatfull.
Papa

It is resistance, and you don't need the power on (quite the contrary, actually).

The ohms were reported earlier in this thread.

Better to be high, then low, as far as safety goes, since lower values means more power to the diodes, which means faster burnout.

Papa

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2003, 08:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (MOE @ Jan 12 2003, 04:03 AM)

Between 1a and 3a you should have near 660 ohms

Between 1b and 3b you should have near 1032 ohms (1.032 Kohms)

Remember you should not change the setting of the right pot ( the "b" one), I've only include the ohmage for those of you who change it by mistake.

For your information, the left pot on my Xbox is now set to 300 ohms and it read all my DVD+R +RW and some CD-R

Wish you the best and remember to be very carefull when changing those setting !

HINT: I use two needles wired to my prope to get access to the pot pins  wink.gif

I am certain I havn't touched the second POT screw but tested the reading to see what I got and its 570omhs ?? nothing like the 1032 suggested. Maybe I changed it in my sleep (sleep tweaking).

Now I am really confused. Should I play with this one?  biggrin.gif Is this 4 DVD pickup because this is my problem (DVD reading).
I can still only read CD media and have tested changing the first POT so much I think I have threaded the screw  sad.gif

I suppose I can't do much more damage...   wink.gif

Papa

I might just go buy another Xbox.

garry

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »

hey thanks man i might give that a go

FABZ

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

I have a fluke multimeter, with electronics probes, they are very small, they get into small places, u can also attach a small piece of thin, low resistance wire onto the end of ur regular probe.

FaMiNe

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2003, 04:23:00 PM »

I'm still confused as to where we put the probes to test for resistance...

from the pic that MOE posted it looks like we have to put each probe on a different side of the POT (looks like a screw to me)... that seems pretty damn precise, and odd to me..  but then, i dont know how POTs work.

if someone could explain in more detail how to achieve these measurements, i'd greatly appreciate it =)

I got some of my old man's tools, and a fluke true rms multimeter among them, but not knowing how to use it makes it pretty useless.

j0nes

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2003, 11:40:00 PM »

Here's a new one that no one has mentioned and I'm not sure how it is even possible.  I adjusted my phillips drive and it read my princo white tops perfectly.  Then I put in an origonal xbox game and it said no disc.  Back to the cheap media, reads it perfectly.  So I re-adjust cause there's no point in a real xbox drive that won't read orig discs... now it reads almost everything but really slowly.. orig Mortal Kombat takes like 2 min to load and backups lock-up on load but I don't want to keep turning that little screw cause I think it will strip or something bad will happen.  How could it read burned dvd-r's and not orig discs?  I'm buying an ohm meter tomorrow but the pic isn't exactly clear is it the tiny raised spot on the top of the pot and another one on the bottom... where is the second one?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4