xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd-copy Same Reader/burner!  (Read 410 times)

acidline

• Archived User
Dvd-copy Same Reader/burner!
« on: September 12, 2002, 06:53:00 AM »

Hi,

yesterday I wanted to create a direct copy from DVD to DVD using STOMP! Record Now V4.10 incl. PXENGINE Update.

The strange thing is that F1 2002 PAL worked perfectly, that means it works on my final-enigmah-modded xbox, so no probs.

When i tried to make a copy of Dead or Alive 3 PAL the burn session seems to be ok, too. When I checked the copy in the xbox, the xbox freezes before the intro doing sum strange sounds like the laser jumps backward and forward on the DVD (perhaps sum kind of read error).

It´s not a hardware-burn-error as I tried the copy 3 times! Always the same result. Remark: Stomp! says: successful burn.

I´m using the Pioneer  DVR-104 which is supported by STOMP.

The only thing I recognized was, that F1 2002 was just 1 temp. .gi-file whereas DOA 3 creates three of that .gi-files. Perhaps it has anything to do with the non-working result (Multisession or whatever) ?

any experience/solutions?

Best regards,

Acidline                                    

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 08:25:00 PM »

;)  ;)  ;)

DVD to DVD copies use a raw read technique.

Some of the ISO's put out, actually have recoverable data errors (read up on this).

When you copy the DVD, you are also copying the errors, which the Xbox doesn't care about on the first generation since the drive does it's own hardware error correction during a single pass read.

Your duplicate will not always contain the info the drive needs to fix the marginal blocks at a low level.

You might want to try unpacking the contents of your original to your hard drive using one of the Xbox ISO readers. Then burn a NEW data DVD-R using RecordNow in Data mode.

You'll probably find that the duplicate made this way will run far better than the original too!

:beer:                                      

acidline

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 01:20:00 AM »

Thx for your interesting answer!

Well, meanwhile I dod the following: I did an image of DOA 3 on one of my HDD and after that burned that image again on a new DVD-R.

And now is becomes very srange: On my Verbatim DVD-RW the game is actually running perfectly! On my PRINCO DVD-R it still failed. Wtf is happening here? I never had any probs with PRINCO DVD-R so i do not believe that the PRINCOS cause this error!

Do u have any solution?

Btw. Plez tell me a tool/util that would extract xbox-games directly from a DVD-R. I only found tools to extract from an .iso-IMAGE. Or do i have create an iso-image first? If so, what proggy should be used? (Stomp! will do only .gi, NEro will do only .nrg. Disc Juggler will do only .cdi)?

Best regards,

Acidline                                    

acidline

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 01:36:00 AM »

and another question:

Do I understand you right that it won´t be ok If create just an .ISO directly from DVD. Do i really have to extract the files from that .iso, too?
If so, shall I burn those extracted files directly back to DVD-R in data mode??? (without creating ONE typical image-file?)

Greetings

Acidline                                    

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 09:24:00 AM »

While my Xbox seems to love the Princo's  :wub: there may be something else in play.

E.G. are you burning at the slowest rate? :flame:

Could your DVD-R drive have tracking problems?  :uhh:

(Though if you burn to other media, this is normally not the case!)

If I were you I'd try extracting the files as I mentioned and burn a new Princo DVD-R using RecordNow's default "data" mode.

You can use any of the Xbox ISO utilities to extract the files if the TOC is not readable on your PC.

DO NOT create an ISO on your PC, rather use RecordNow's "data" mode write!

As you indicated, yes, burn the files directly back w/o creating an image.

For some reason the Xbox :wub: loves the RecordNow "data" format.

I don't know why this is, as it seems to reject DVD-R's created this way on all other software.  :grr:

Cheers!

acidline

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2002, 09:53:00 AM »

Hi,

well, meanwhile (again) i´m trying the following:

due to the fact that i did not find any tool that is able to extract directly from DVD (and i searched long ans prosper), I used STOMP to create a .gi-file, then used the EXTRACT FILES-option of STOMP to extract an .ISO.
After that I used xiso to extract all the files in to a "DOA3"-dir.

Up to this point no probs. Then I used the following instructions found @ a different forum:

1- Extract the XBOX files to the PC
2- Start either PrimoDVD or Stomp Recordnow Max
3- Close wizard if it starts
4- Start a data CD/DVD
5- Select add files
6- Select the TOP level of the directory where you have your file
ie: Backed up in a "NFL2K3" in a folder at D:\NFL; Select that folder
7- Right-click on the folder and select "modify folder on disc"
8- Select "root", then "OK". This will place all files on the root rather then in the dir selected
9- Right-click on the folder again and select "options"
10- Select the following:
a- Disk at Once(dao), Closed: File system/Recording type
b- Udf-Upto 128 in file name length,any character,plus 8+3(bridge)
c- All other stay on default
1c- Mode1: Mode type
11- Start burn

The result: burning process is still working, i´ll inform you whether it has worked or not.

Anyway: my xbox does love princo-DVD-R´s to, i do not have the SLIGHTEST CLUE why the direct copy is working with a VERBATIM DVD-RW :/

for now, thx a lot

Acidline

acidline

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2002, 11:58:00 PM »

try failed, the xbox says: no XBOX DVD :/                                    

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2002, 10:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (acidline @ Sep 14 2002, 05:51 AM)
try failed, the xbox says: no XBOX DVD :/

This normally happens because you failed to "root source" your files.

Put the DVD-R you burned back in your PC.

Do you see a default.XBE file in the root directory?

I'll bet you will not, but it will rather be one directory down.

Well this will not work on the Xbox!

The "No Xbox DVD" is a good sign. It meant that the Xbox could read the directory contents, but did not see the XBE files it was looking for!

retiredkiller

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2002, 05:51:00 AM »

the best way to make a copy is to put in your backup in the dvd drive, start xiso and it has a option to extract all the data from the backup disc. use that and then use isomaker 1.21 (gdfimage.exe)to make a new image of all your extracted files. then just burn the newly created iso and it will work perfectly.                                    

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2002, 06:31:00 AM »

RecordNow Max produces better results than using gdfimage.exe.

Faster loads too.