xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox2 Best Hdtv Resolution?  (Read 2129 times)

eDeus

• Archived User
Xbox2 Best Hdtv Resolution?
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:18:00 PM »

I have been reading all about X2 pushing for HD resolutions which is something I have been waiting for a very long time.
From what I have read, 720p would be recommended so this to me means the resolution will be about 1280x720.

Would it be true that to get the best resolution from the X2, I should get a television that natively supports this resolution? (or higher)

what would the best screen size be? 50" or 42" (plasma's).

Thanks.

LenteSubigo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 11:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(eDeus @ Mar 13 2005, 11:18 PM)
I have been reading all about X2 pushing for HD resolutions which is something I have been waiting for a very long time.
From what I have read, 720p would be recommended so this to me means the resolution will be about 1280x720.

Would it be true that to get the best resolution from the X2, I should get a television that natively supports this resolution? (or higher)

Thanks.

M$ is requiring that all games released for the x2 run in both 480i (Standard Def) and 720p (High Def).  Most games will also support 1080i.  So the best tv would have support for both 720p and 1080i.  Some hdtv's don't support 720p(for example Mitsubishi Diamond Series), but I believe all support 1080i.  So, if you are in the market for a new tv, just make sure it supports both 720p, and 1080i.  Other than that there is only one other issue to take into consideration.  

Some LCD and Plasma tv's have a processing lag.  So, when you play a game, the image appears on the screen up to 1 second after the xbox sent the image.  You DON'T want a tv with that lag.  Immagine you are playing a racing game, you get to the corner and tell the car to turn left, it slams into the wall, then it suddenly takes a hard left and slams into the inside wall.  This happens because you are telling the car to turn left 1 second too late, and when it finally does turn left you have been steering left for over 1 second so it takes a hard left instead of a slight left.  Doesn't sound fun does it.

So, go to your local store choose 2 or 3 tv's you like and then search the net for 720p, 1080i, and lag issues.  If you don't have a space issue, I recommend a 65" CRT HDTV with 720p and 1080i support.  I really like the Mitsubishi's but make sure your tv has 720p support.

SuicideUZI

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 12:01:00 AM »

i didnt even know they made 65" CRT TV's

ive been looking into this also and I think i have decided on the Samsung DynaFlat TX-P2775H.  Mainly because it is one of the few 27" CRT HDTV's that support 720p.  and I dont really need anything bigger than 27" at the moment,  cant afford anything bigger either.

either way i am going to wait until I hear the full specs of xbox2 before I get a HDTV because I want to make sure its going to be optimal for the xbox2

thegame00

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 01:17:00 AM »

i got a 57" jvc at hhgreags for $1000.00 it has all 3 settings for hd thats how i got my halo xbox hoked up and got comcast hd/dvr box on it

*tv was a refurb thats why i got it cheap*

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 06:06:00 AM »

I've always been a fan of projectors... IMO if you have enough wall space for a screen and a surround sound system they're the biggest bang for the buck...

besides nothing beats the experience of playing Project Gotham 10ft wide... it's like playing Xbox in an IMAX theater  laugh.gif

The new DLPs are really sweet too; they have better color wheels so you don't get rainbows, brighter bulbs so you can play in brighter light, and a much better contrast ratio than my TFT.  beerchug.gif

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 06:22:00 AM »

I love a good projection system.  They are the best bang for the buck, but often work best in basements, or areas with heavily controlled lighting.

I've also seen tutorials to build a projector for about $400.

I've also seen TVs that support 1080p, but I don't know much of anything that will put out a 1080p signal save for a media center PC, and even that I'm not entirely sure about.

For what it's worth, I picked up a HDTV that supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i brand new for $400.  It's only a 29 inch widescreen, but I couldn't fit anything bigger in my entertainment center at the moment.

If I wasn't so broke from my wife being laid off, and the kid, I'd put a projection system in the basement for about $1500-$2000.

Marinos33

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 08:01:00 AM »

Can't resist giving my bit of advice.  In hindsight, I wish I had held out and gotten a little more money together for a 65" rear projection LCD HDTV, but I'm pretty happy with my 30" Sony widescreen CRT.  It can support a native 720p resolution, which was actually my primary shopping requirement since I was already interested in xbox HD.  Also, ESPN and fox broadcast in 720p.  BUT, it's not really an issue so much because even if an hdtv doesn't support 720p native, it will quite happily upconvert it to 1080i.  You will lose some picture quality in the translation, but if you're not an HDTV snob (like me), you honestly won't be disappointed.

My little trick was to start circling discount chains in the mall (sears, boscovs if you've got em, NOT walmart, target, kmart, etc.) and keep checking out their floor models.  About once a month they rotate the floor models to make way for new stock, and if you're there that day, you can get the floor model at half-off.  That's how I saved $650 on mine.  Just a tip.

Marinos33

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(eDeus @ Mar 14 2005, 01:18 AM)

Thanks.

BTW, I don't recommend plasma after some research.  They have a finite life span.  It's about twenty years if you only use it two to four hours a day, but the whole notion of the gas in the cells just going dead one day really bothers me.  With LCDs, you just have to replace the crystal the light projects through.  not bad.  Plasma also has burn in issues with games, especially ones with a status bar, such as a speedometer.  You'll see lots of plasma on ebay that was used in airports, and now has JFK, OHH, BRA, and stuff burned into it.  Some of them have orbital pixel shifters that can prevent this, but I'd be worried as shit while I was playing that I was damaging my beautiful screen; couldn't handle that.  

Like others were saying, if you have funding, you can't go wrong with a phat projector at 1080i, or a 65" widescreen rear projection.  GO BIG.  you'll love it.

blah101

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »

what about the boxlight?

BoXLight

would you consider that a good projector.. just get a optical switch so u can use xbox/xbox2/and cable?

also anyone know how big it can get on a wall without b4 loosing quality.  i looked all over but didnt see anything refering to that

This post has been edited by blah101: Yesterday, 05:02 PM

apollooff320

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »

I just bought a Samsung 30in HDTV TX-P3071WH model TV and I love it.  I bought this TV just for the next generation consoles. Walmart also has a Sanyo 32in HDTV for like $697. My best advise before getting a TV would be to visit this site and ask questions http://www.avsforum.com the people over their helped me out.

This post has been edited by apollooff320: Yesterday, 05:19 PM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(blah101 @ Mar 14 2005, 12:00 PM)
what about the boxlight?

BoXLight

would you consider that a good projector.. just get a optical switch so u can use xbox/xbox2/and cable?

also anyone know how big it can get on a wall without b4 loosing quality.  i looked all over but didnt see anything refering to that

The Raven is a great little projector for the price, Another good projector in that price range is the In-focus X2 (or the discontinued X1 if you can find it).

one of my projectors is a Raven and it performs well in all aspects save resolution. It supports all of the Hi-Def resolutions but for the higher resolutions it down-samples them. Still you'd be hard pressed to find a projector or rear projection that support those resolutions natively.   B) As far as you question about how big it can get before lossing quality, as long as you're within the range specified by the manufacturer you'll be able to focus and as long as you can focus the pixels will be crisp. I project onto an 85"x85" screen and the picture is just as sharp as it is 30"x30"  :beer:

Running a search on www.projectorcentral.com: these look like some capable projectors at under $2000 MSRP (most can be had for much less than MSRP)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors...&sort=ms&trig=1

Some things to keep in mind:
Contrast Ratio: you want this high 2000:1 is a fantastic ratio This is the difference between full white and full black on the screen.
Bulb Life: you want this high. this is the number of hours of use before the bulb is estimated to burn out. 2000-3000 hours is a good bulb life. Also consider the price of the bulb and the popularity of the projector. Buying a more popular projector will undoubtedly drive the bulb price down.
Brightness: you want this high, most of the time. Keep this in mind while looking at the the contrast ratio. if the ratio is low and the brightness is high then the picture will probably be washed out, for a 2000:1 contrast ratio I've found 1500-1700 lumen to be perfect, it's bright enough that I can have a desk lamp on in the room without washing out the picture but also dim enough to not wash out the picture on it's own.
Technology: CRT, LCD, DLP, CRT is my personal favorite, it has the best overall picture IMO but the projectors are huge (75+lbs) and often require frequent calibration if they aren't tied down. Also they can be noisy and overall the most expensive. Some other benefits are no worries about jaggies, lag, or bulbs to replace. LCD is a good technology, they tend to be fairly light and sometimes cheaper than DLP but they're contrast ratio is total CRAP and you can run into serious lag issues similar to your PC's LCD. DLP is the best overall Projector, weighing about the same and priced about the same as an LCD they have amazing contrast ratios and clarity of picture. One thing to watch out for with DLPs is the color wheel speed, if you get one with a slow color wheel you could see "rainbows" on the screen. I've had an in-focus X1 and the Raven. the X1 has a 2X color wheel and I see the rainbows all the time the Raven has a 4X color wheel and I usually only ever see them when watching stark white on black (credits of movies, or a dark scene in a black and white film). Some people just can't see them at all (lucky bastards  :lol: ) Also DLPs don't suffer from any lag problems AFAIK.

Some features to consider:
Digital Inputs: IMO unless your projector supports native HD resolutions this is completely useless as it will be down-sampling it anyway, the only benefit is if your device is outputting in digital and you don't want to bother converting it to VGA, RGB, or Component.
Picture Geometry Features like Zoom, Keystone and how they effect throw distance and picture size. Obviously you need to look at where you plan on putting your projector in relation to where you want the picture to be and picking a projector that can be adjusted accordingly.

mbaez99

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Marinos33 @ Mar 14 2005, 04:01 PM)
BUT, it's not really an issue so much because even if an hdtv doesn't support 720p native, it will quite happily upconvert it to 1080i.  You will lose some picture quality in the translation, but if you're not an HDTV snob (like me), you honestly won't be disappointed.

FYI...Not all HDTVs upconvert 720p to 1080i. I have a Panasonic 47" widescreen RPTV and it doesn't do anything when it receives 720p signal. That's probably why it said 480p/1080i on the box. To cover all bases I would get a TV or projector that supports 720p AND 1080i, you should be all set then.

I'm very concerned about the X2s 720p announcement because if most games are in 720p I will only be able to play them in 480i (yuk!), which is a shame for a console which is entering the "HD era" or whatever was said at GDC. Hopefully most games will support both formats but with the games being on dual layered dvds instead of HD-DVDs I hope there will be enough space to fit all the HD content (movies, textures, etc.).

zot23

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »

FYI - It's still unclear whether the Xbox2 will upconvert all media to 1080i for you or not.  Not that the DVD/game you put in is sending native 1080i material, but the video might upscale the signal if your HDTV supports it.  

So I would hold out on buying a TV until at least after E3 when more is known.  Plus, the longer you wait the cheaper these things get month to month.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(zot23 @ Mar 14 2005, 02:36 PM)
FYI - It's still unclear whether the Xbox2 will upconvert all media to 1080i for you or not.  Not that the DVD/game you put in is sending native 1080i material, but the video might upscale the signal if your HDTV supports it. 

sunkist

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(Marinos33 @ Mar 14 2005, 08:05 AM)
BTW, I don't recommend plasma after some research.  They have a finite life span.  It's about twenty years if you only use it two to four hours a day, but the whole notion of the gas in the cells just going dead one day really bothers me.  With LCDs, you just have to replace the crystal the light projects through.  not bad.  Plasma also has burn in issues with games, especially ones with a status bar, such as a speedometer.  You'll see lots of plasma on ebay that was used in airports, and now has JFK, OHH, BRA, and stuff burned into it.  Some of them have orbital pixel shifters that can prevent this, but I'd be worried as shit while I was playing that I was damaging my beautiful screen; couldn't handle that. 
Pages: [1] 2