xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xenon Might Suck If...  (Read 1616 times)

jacktheripper2005

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« on: December 19, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »

If it does not have a hard drive, then how are we gonna back up games movies music to it.  How are we gonna use it as a Home media center like we do our xbox.  more importantly, how would you soft mod it.  The reason i bought an xbox was because of this fine site.  reading up on how to use it for what i needed it for instead of just games.  on a side note, why doesnt someone make a low cost media center that has all the features of XBMC, but for the general retail market.  back to topic.  if xenon has not a hard disk then it wont sell to the general population well since it wont be very lucrative to hackers

DragoNs

• Recovered User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Umm Modchip + DVD media.

dsl1

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 04:24:00 PM »

Uh dude.

The general population is NOT hackers.

Dvd's work fine.

Softmodding in our xbox's today doesnt need a hard drive.

evilpeanut

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (jacktheripper2005 @ Dec 19 2004, 09:36 PM)
if xenon has not a hard disk then it wont sell to the general population well since it wont be very lucrative to hackers

first off of the 16+ million xbox sold, there is only a small fraction of ppl hacking it, and their not putting a hard drive in the xenon because of that small fraction.

game companys dont make much money on the consoles at all for the first 3-4 years, due to the cost of production, they only really make money on selling and licensing games. for the most part, the hardware in any new console is pretty new technology, and thus very expensive.

so if they stop ppl from copying games and actually buying them, they make more money.

This post has been edited by evilpeanut: Dec 20 2004, 12:30 AM

mrchester

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »

No...

They wouldn't take out the beloved harddrive just because of the small fraction of people pirating games... Even if they did stop people from pirating games, the would-be piraters would buy only 2-3 games, not like the 25 games they would have pirated. So MS only loses profits for 2-3 games, not 25...

Also many people wouldn't buy the Xbox 2 w/o the hardrive, because of the inability to rip music and do other media type storage, which I'm sure Xbox 2 will have since MS wants to move towards Media Centers... MS is also going to have to have a HD for downloadable content, and most importantly the X,Y,Z drive caches. The Xbox uses over 2 gigs for cache, do you think MS would put 3-4 gigs of memory for cache into the Xbox 2? No.

MS might use a non-standard size HD though because they want to make the Xbox 2 small to appeal to the Japanese.

Also MS can place a 10gb harddrive into a machine for around 7-8 bucks. No biggie.

This post has been edited by mrchester: Dec 22 2004, 05:56 PM

EvilWays

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 08:22:00 AM »

Based on that logic:

First off, good luck finding 10GB HDDs...
Secondly, good luck finding them for $7-8 in the OEM market.

ChrisTfirefly

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

Xenon wont suck, Just because you wont be able to go to blockbuster or borrow friends games and rip them dosent mean that the general population will love the console. Only thing gamers know is that the xbox dosent need a memoray card.

bucko

• Recovered User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Dec 19 2004, 11:53 PM)
Umm Modchip + DVD media.

good answer :jester:

mrchester

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »

First of all you can buy them currently for $12... buy in bulk, price goes down... also this is a year or 2 from now... (it might be cheaper to go with a slightly larger harddrive, since not many 10gb drives are made, just like sdram is slighty more expensive than ddr, even though ddr is faster)

Moddedxbox4ever

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 09:15:00 PM »

What is Xenon anyways is is xbox next sorry but i dont understand what Xenon is

Tobison

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »

I though I read somewhere that there will be 3 versions of the Xbox2.

1. No hard drive

2. Comes with a hard drive (They want to push the Windows XP Media edition)

3. A PC version which wont come out right away

So there should be a hard drive version coming out=)

crazy8

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2004, 04:30:00 PM »

no im kinda new at this even though i am more of a computer geek.but if the DVD drive in the Xenon uses the IDE interface then with som MODafication, wouldnt it be possable to add a HD??
Also another thing i am wondering. Since Windows XP Media ED. would be running on the other version of Xenon is it safe to say that we could also get Linux on it to?? biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 01:34:00 PM »

The probability of modchips/hacks becoming available to a console is directly proportional to the number of people who own that console.

It's save to say that the more popular a console is the higher percentage of hackers attempt to hack it and the more likely you are to see modchips/etc. become available.

I don't care how many protective measure are put in place plainly put, if it can allow you play games in the first place then there isn't enough protection to keep you from modding it.

There has yet to be a popular system that wasn't mod-able. for the most part the size of a particular consoles following  and it's ease of modifiability, are directly porportional to that console's modding scene. The Xbox was lucky enough to receive a Jump-Start into modding when "Bunnie" made his discovery, and wrote his book, and now the Xbox has a huge moder following. Regardless of how difficult the Xbox 2 is to mod it will still be possible because of the size of the scene and the number of people working towards that end.

As for the Hard drive, most of you seem to forget the very probable rumor about the Xbox 2 having a removable Ipod like HDD storage device. I think the more recent rumors of Halo 2.5 and multiple "versions" (probably just bundles) confirm this past rumor more and more.  If MS were to make this move it would make for a very expandable media center, not to mention making the HDD external would allow them to sell the Xbox without the HDD for a lower price point, as well as giving the Xbox a much smaller footprint. All without loosing down-loadable content and giving you a much more expandable way to get your music onto the Xbox and into your games.

MS is not stupid, if anything I think they will be using the modding community as a source of new ideas to add to the Xbox (Halo 2.5 on the hard drive, the recent media player expansion, different versions of the Xbox, etc.) rather than looking at ways to stop us. If they were really interested in stopping us there are a number of very inexpensive and and very detrimental things they could be doing to the design of the current Xbox.

The Xbox 2 will not suck, if anything they'll learn from the mistakes they've made and bring a much improved product in the end.

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Dec 28 2004, 09:37 PM

jump4hell

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »

I agree but if they wanted to make it smaller, they could easily use like a laptop or a harddrive like the ones in the ipod. that wouldnt change the size much of a box w/ or w/o a hdd

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Xenon Might Suck If...
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 03:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(jump4hell @ Dec 29 2004, 10:17 AM)
I agree but if they wanted to make it smaller, they could easily use like a laptop or a harddrive like the ones in the ipod. that wouldnt change the size much of a box w/ or w/o a hdd

arent those hard drives more expensive to produce due to their smaller size though?
Pages: [1] 2