xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox2 Modding Compared To Gamecube.  (Read 734 times)

psyberxian

• Archived User
Xbox2 Modding Compared To Gamecube.
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

I wonder if after 2 years that a gamecube modchip hasn't been successfully done, will the xbox2 will be hackable??

-Psyber

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

you have to take into account the fact that alot of people couldnt care less about a gamecube modchip, and with the xbox-scene being as big as it is now, when xbox 2 is released, people will begin to hack it straight away, probably giving us a much better chance of developing modchips and shtuff.

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

A Gamecube mod-chip has been made. There's been a thread about in the GC, DC, and others forum.

Edit: Link

This post has been edited by Baner on Oct 13 2004, 08:55 PM

pingrr

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »

I think in general the Gamecube was marketed to a younger group of people than the xbox.  Little kids are less apt to mod somthing.  I just don't think there is a big enough market for it to be cost efective to produce gamecube mod chips.

Kafluke

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »

A Gamecube mod-chip has been made.

Actually NO, there is no mod chip for the Gamecube and that link is just to a web site claiming to be developing a mod chip.

This news about a modchip for gamecube is old news. This website from these "modders" hasn't been updated in ages. You can currently stream iso's over your LAN connection using the PSO exploit right now. It's shotty at best but its a step closer to modded gamecube. It works and I play many games this way on my GC right now. You can backup any GC game using this technique too. I can't wait till they come out with a way to read burned GC iso's in the GC System so I can play all these great backups that I have on my PC HD. If you want to know more about it all you can go here http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/112

I have to agree with the guy that said the reason the mod chip hasn't been developed yet is because there aren't enough people interested in the GC. I love my modded xbox and a GC simply cannot compare with the versatility of a modded xbox, however, I really like a lot of the games that are out and are coming out for the GC so it will be great when something finally happens for all us GC lovers.

DBG

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »

I believe (and anyone can feel free to disagree with me) that the real reason the Gamecube has not been fully cracked open is because of its unique hardware.  Without the PSO bug, there will be hardly any "scene".  The xbox was almost a dream come true with it's pc-based design.  Even without being able to crack the encryption of xbe signing, the xbox's security was circumvented not one, but two ways (some may count more, but I am refering to all modchips and softmods here).  The xbox2 will undoubtly offer some challeneges, MS is a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them (this could be argued, but just go with me please =p).  The xbox2 will most likely be cracked sooner or later, esp. considering the design information we know so far.  Remember kids, a komputer is a komputer is a komputer!

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »

One of the other things that keeps Xbox modding going is the built-in hard drive. No other consoles have that. (but you CAN buy one for PS2) It makes modding a lot easier

OysterBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »

Be interesting to see what could be accomplished by re-building a GC into, say, an X-Box case and then upgrading its components (if its possible). Wouldnt necesarily be modding, more like, upgrading. Could also be the fact that the GC is quite well packed, not much room for anything like a hard-drive.

Skitals

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »

I think the status of the xbox scene now is greatly thanks to xbox-linux and all their work. Think about how many doors it opened for xbox hacking. Other consoles dont have as many brilliant minds working on it.

Hackers were interested in the xbox for its power and potential... the xbox 2 will only be more appealing to hack.

Elf_Sniper

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

Another reason why one might not be able to play burnt Gamecube DVD-R's in the drive is because the Gamecube spins the DVD's backwards, so they put the game on their in some special way, I think.

halofreak007

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »

yea i think i heard that b4

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »

if it's m$ itl be hackable don't worry.

SupeRdUPErBlakE

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (pingrr @ Oct 13 2004, 04:27 PM)
I think in general the Gamecube was marketed to a younger group of people than the xbox.  Little kids are less apt to mod somthing.  I just don't think there is a big enough market for it to be cost efective to produce gamecube mod chips.

I disagree, they didnt aim it at a younger audience. You can never be too old to enjoy a good no, great, game of pikmin.

PrismSub5

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (Elf_Sniper @ Oct 26 2004, 06:49 PM)
Another reason why one might not be able to play burnt Gamecube DVD-R's in the drive is because the Gamecube spins the DVD's backwards, so they put the game on their in some special way, I think.

Untrue, its just looks like its spinning the other way;)

chris_kalan

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

Also, the direction of the drive would not make a difference to how it reads it.

The problem is that the GC discs are not standard.  They are a little bit bigger than the mini DVDs you can get for some camcorder, have their own compression ratio, and to make sure the GC disc is actually a GC disc and not some ripoff of another mini DVD type, the laser reads the outer edge where all the codec and information is stored PRIOR to reading the rest of the disc.