xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X2 Dvd Drive And Flash Drive  (Read 594 times)

Exige_

• Archived User
X2 Dvd Drive And Flash Drive
« on: October 12, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »

Think about it, the dvd drive will most likely not ahve an IDE interface. If it doesn't, then there really is no possiblity to have an HDD in there. If it uses a flash drive, there would be a possibility to replace it, but that would be rare and expensive to come by a huge flash chip. Also, the reasonw hy I think that the dvd drive won't ahve an IDE interface is because in XBox, the power for the dvd drive was custom... and only few dvd drives worked for it because of the connections... so MS can pay samsung or phillips or whoever to make a custom dvd drive. HDD's will not be possible under these circumstances.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »

thats why they have so often stated that it probably won't have a hard drive. it will have a dvd-rom of course but yeah, that'll probably be different too.

the flash drives will be big enough, cos i heard m$ was getting with some good company to make a couple of gig on a flash card thing, so yeah.

Trisman

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »

Yes, I think your right, exige.  But if they are using USB(or USB 2.0) as the external connection, I'm sure we can use that.  The main reason that anyone hasn't figured out how to do it yet for XBox 1, I think, is that this would be extremely difficult, and its not absolutley necessary.  But, if we were forced into a corner and left with only this bus to play around with, I'm sure we could find an exploit somewhere.  Necessity is the Mother of Invention and all.

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »

Reasoning behind the lack of USB support in the Xbox is the lack of frivers to support hardware. Linux allows the use of USB Keyboards and Mice, cause Linux has the drivers. Looks like the X2 will just be turned into a removable storage hacked device. Anyone know if HD-DVD writers are easy to come by?

leijae

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

yea... i dont think hd-dvd drives are easy to come by. for one its a pretty new thing. Fry's electronics doesn't even carry them, yet.

Takezo

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (Baner @ Oct 13 2004, 09:02 PM)
Reasoning behind the lack of USB support in the Xbox is the lack of frivers to support hardware. Linux allows the use of USB Keyboards and Mice, cause Linux has the drivers. Looks like the X2 will just be turned into a removable storage hacked device. Anyone know if HD-DVD writers are easy to come by?

XBOX's controler ports is basicaly USB 1.1 ports, that are altered in appearance and physical shape.   Why do you thiink they make USB adapters for the xbox's controler ports?  

Most modchips require a BIOS bin file to be uploaded to it before it will work, and this can be done by either network or USB pen drive.  The reason why external hd don't work for it because, it needs software support.  

bochs x86 emulator is a great example, you need a usb adapter and USB keyboard since you will not be able to input dos commands to play dos games or install Windows.

botomline: phantasy star online supports usb keyboard, but all other games don't.  And you don't have to have a modchip to get it to work. In fack PSO is xbox live so there is no way it will work on a modded xbox bios.