xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd  (Read 1292 times)

Big_Peb

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (Baner @ Oct 11 2004, 05:19 PM)
There's no real point in the HDD for the regular gamer, except for game saves, and custom sountracks. With the xbox mem card "ie the new ipod killer" the HDD would become obsolete save the box hackers.

What's the pricing on Blu-ray and HD-DVD? Aren't HD-DVDs cheaper right now? I also noticed someone mentioned the seek times on Blu-rays were 3 times faster... which means faster loading times and such. Games now aren't any bigger than 3 gigs on average, but they have atleast 3-5 years that they need to be able to expand on the consoles.

Wouldn't xbox implementing the HD-DVD eliminate the chance of backwards capibilities, and DVD playback? Or are the HD-DVD drive still like conventional cd drives. I thought the HD-DVDs were more like larger floppys, ie cartridges.

i think M$ will adopt some sort of storage device, if they don't most of the functionality of Xbox Live (new maps, dlc, and all the other goodies) is down the drain, and Live is one of M$' s most popular features, this Blu-ray\HD-DVD can go either way though and it depends on the time frame as well; if M$ decides to adopt hd-dvd and the nat'l dvd forum decides on blu-ray then M$ is certified screwed since everything is gonna be produced based on  Blu-ray format, that means the dvd player is gonna mean squat since the movies are gonna be in blu-ray, and releasing xbox next earlier than ps2 is not a smart idea either seeing as u really don't know what they're gonna include in their console just to get a head start on competition, but what do i know...im not some high-priced-genius marketer like the ones at M$; i have a feeling that im gonna be keeping my xbox for a long time (which is not a problem by any means) cuz i have a fuge feeling M$ is gonna take the shaft on this one...i say MS gets blu-ray and just up some change on it since sony has to pay them for the codec anyways...

my 2 cents...

reubend

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (NooberTehGod @ Oct 11 2004, 06:52 PM)
Just FYI, the codec would only apply to movies to be run in a blu-ray player.  Much like dvds today; games are not encoded as mpeg1 (a movie format), but any movie that is played in a dvd player is.  Sony would not be paying ms anything for encoding.

Content providers who use either VC-1 or H.264 will need to pay a licensing fee to MS or the MPEG group. This could mean that unless Sony creates its own proprietary codec, it would actually have to pay MS to encode PlayStation 3 compatible movies or games using VC-1. Licensing fees will be set, preventing any codec maker from dramatically upping the price at a later date.

Sony wont have to pay for the codec if all they want ps3 to do is to play games. If movies begin comming out on blu-ray then Sony would need the M$ codec.

flashfreak

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »

the xbox will be good whatever happens, just cos it has the halo franchise, i'd buy it just for that. halo 3 or whatever.

Takezo

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 04:16:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif

Or so they think.

External MP3 Juke Box/externnal HDD = USB 2.0 support

Moddchip + USB 2.0 + 120GB external hard drive = Hackers yet again find a hole in MS's Anti-Piracy solution.  biggrin.gif

Charbless

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 04:58:00 PM »

sony are making there own codec for the blu ray discs thats why so much effort is being put into it by sony they are doing it because there greedy and want everyone to pay out for there exclusive stuff im sick of it i think its about time someone looked at Sony and seize there trying to do what ms did with windows make it so u only have 1 choice which from what i remember ms was taken to court over.

Zyyke

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

Something that is not mentioned here is following facts:

1. The movie industry are looking for a DVD replacement with large storage space because of the increasing need for higher picture quality (bacause of HDTV etc).

2. Blu-Ray is currently considered as the media of choice because of the bigger storage space aka opportunities for better picture quality.

3. Blu-Ray disk drive in PS3 will in effect give all buyers a "free" Blu-Ray disc player, thus building a base of potential Blu-Ray disc buyers quickly.

My 2 cents is that these facts might give future sales of Blu-Ray disc a "jump start", and could result in making the support of Blu-Ray both more attractive and ultimatly more profitable to endorse than HD-DVD.

Trisman

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004, 12:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (Zyyke @ Oct 16 2004, 01:22 AM)
Something that is not mentioned here is following facts:

1. The movie industry are looking for a DVD replacement with large storage space because of the increasing need for higher picture quality (bacause of HDTV etc).

2. Blu-Ray is currently considered as the media of choice because of the bigger storage space aka opportunities for better picture quality.

3. Blu-Ray disk drive in PS3 will in effect give all buyers a "free" Blu-Ray disc player, thus building a base of potential Blu-Ray disc buyers quickly.

My 2 cents is that these facts might give future sales of Blu-Ray disc a "jump start", and could result in making the support of Blu-Ray both more attractive and ultimatly more profitable to endorse than HD-DVD.

You could have used the same argument for betamax, but see where it ended up.  This is going to end only in the boardroom.  It'll be who can make more corporate friends.

Reaper527

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (OR-G @ Oct 8 2004, 09:11 AM)
I don't think games will really use all of the 28gigs, but by the time they do, there will be xbox 3.

i have to agree, xbox has the capability to use dvd9 discs for its games now, however any games that need the dvd9 space, only use 300 or less megs more then a dvd 5 can hold.

Lightsier

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »

Would be funny if down the line a dual format burner is released,  HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, but I doubt that'll happen.

It also doesn't matter how big the media is, the main problem with consoles is system memory.  That's why PS2 games have graphical problems because the low amount of memory.  XBox has the HDD to cache data for to offset the lack of alot of memory.  If XBox2 just had a ton of memory I think they could get away with not using a harddrive.  I definately want to see a HDD in XBox2, even if it's optional.  I hate listening to EA Trax and other publishers that seem to put the worst music ever in their games.  I rather play my own music.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

The issue is not the amount of space needed for games (as many of you have pointed out that even the largest xbox game (Ninja Gaiden at 6.3 gigs) doesn't use the full 9 gig limit of the current DVD, and i doubt that games will ever need over 15 gigs if developers are not sloppy), it's all about the multi-media aspects, namely HD movies.  And with HD-DVD only allowing up to 15 gigs, and Blue ray atleast 30 gigs, and up to 100 gigs, Blue ray sounds like the way to go.  But, with the xbox 2's release date somewhere around the end of 2005, blue ray will still be way too expensive to implement.  I hope they figure out a way to do it, though.

total_ass

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2004, 10:12:00 AM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Oct 17 2004, 09:13 PM)
But, with the xbox 2's release date somewhere around the end of 2005, blue ray will still be way too expensive to implement.  I hope they figure out a way to do it, though.

dude, it's being announced in 2005, it won't be seen until 2006 or maybe even 2007 at latest.

besides dvd burners dropped in price rather quickly. you can get some now for like £50 UK.

Baner

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »

Blu-Ray disk drive in PS3 will in effect give all buyers a "free" Blu-Ray disc player, thus building a base of potential Blu-Ray disc buyers quickly.

(Many people bought Ps2 for the Dvd player, it was one of the average priced dvd players at the time, and came with the ability to play ps2 and ps1 games.)

Cons:
Slightly expensive (price will drop by the time ps3 comes around)
? I have nothing else.

Pros for Micro$: (still need to know if it's like aconventional dvd, or not)
Getting rid of the HDD (Less piracy, the xbox mem card will have enough room for your music, updates, etc.)
Unconventional Removable storage (again, less piracy)

Cons:
Future inabililty to play movies?

Edit: For whomever said Halo will keep Xbox afloat, you gotta remember that these console companies lose money when they sell a console, and make money when selling games. So selling a console, and having the consumer buy 1 game, leads nowhere but breaking even, but then add in other expenses and you're in the hole.

Code-Red

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »

When was the invention of HD DVD revealed? Because I remember reading an article out of PC Acelerator about 3 or 4 years ago on the new Blu Ray techonology.

In my opinion, it would be in MS's best interest to switch over to Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray being far more superior to HD-DVD, it would actually be best if the entertainment industry agreed on a common media format to prevent another tragedy such as the 8 track or Betamax.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 05:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (total_ass @ Oct 19 2004, 06:15 PM)
dude, it's being announced in 2005, it won't be seen until 2006 or maybe even 2007 at latest.

Dude, like i said, the xbox 2 will more then likely launch in late 2005; it will be announced in the begginning of 2005.  Read here

tom_g05

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »

I don't know muc about this...but wouldn't they be able to put like an ipod sized HDD that wouldn't be too bad, I also think it's a bad idea that MS is using HD-DVD I think it's better if they go with Blu-ray.
Pages: 1 [2] 3