xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd  (Read 1283 times)

redline9

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« on: October 08, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »

From what I understand, Sony is planning to use Blu-ray technology whereas M$ will be forced to adopt HD-DVD technology (if they want to release Xenon next year).

Now, I'm a devout Xboxer, but I'm a bit worried here.  Blu-ray rapes HD-DVD in terms of capacity.  To make matters worse, Sony has the clout to persuade Hollywood to go with Blu-ray for the next generation "DVDs".

And while I'm on this topic, another thing worries me about the next generation.  I bought the Xbox because it was the most powerful console, but in the long run, the Xenon could be outgunned by the Cell tech of the PS3.  Sony will---at the very least---enjoy an extra year of hardware development and possibly benefit from whatever new tech is invented during said year.

Also, I heard M$ is planning to scrap the Xenon's HD to cut costs.  Hey Bill, why don't you scrap the ethernet and three of the controller ports while you're at it?

I liked the concept of the first xbox---the "gamer's game console", plenty of horsepower, plenty of features.  But Xenon isn't sounding like it's shaping up to embody this concept.

I know---if M$ produced an "Alienwar-ish" fully-featured powerhouse game console, they'd lose so much money every time they sold a unit.  But, it'd be sick, and more importantly, it would build on Xbox's momentum and pose a serious threat to Sony's top spot.

Ehhhh.........well.........either way..........I'm sure I'll end up owning both systems.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (redline9 @ Oct 8 2004, 12:47 AM)
I know---if M$ produced an "Alienwar-ish" fully-featured powerhouse game console, they'd lose so much money every time they sold a unit.  But, it'd be sick, and more importantly, it would build on Xbox's momentum and pose a serious threat to Sony's top spot.

i think that was MSs whole point with xbox, to overpower it and steal some of sonys market share (and some exclusive game developers), then they could cut costs on xenon, but float on popular game franchises (kinda what sony did with ps2)

OR-G

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 02:11:00 AM »

I don't think games will really use all of the 28gigs, but by the time they do, there will be xbox 3.

pingrr

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »

Here are thing as I understand them Blu-ray has far more capacity it also has a much faster bit rate so it can read info of the disc about 3 times faster than HDDVD.  The are three main companies pushing the HDDVD NEC, Toshiba, and I forget the third.  Blue ray has about 15 main supporters currently Sony, Thompson, Philips, Samsung, exc.

Now in order to use either technology.  They need to adopt a new codec.  The leading codec with the most support for blu-ray is called VC-1.  Witch is made by MS.

If that standard is adopted that would mean Sony would have to pay M$ so encode the PS3 games.

If M$ used blue ray in the new Xbox.  They will pay Sony for the blu-ray.

I don't think.  M$ will use HDDVD.  I think most likely it will be blue ray.  Look at what happened to Nintendo with the game cube.  They used a proprietary 1.6gb disc.  Which they thought would be more than enough room for the game data.  Now a lot of games are to big for game cube disc's.  

I would hope that M$ realizes that, and they stay away wrom HDDVD.   They could  they run into storage limits very easily after the new system has been out for a year or so.

This post has been edited by pingrr on Oct 8 2004, 03:45 PM

phitch

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »

I agree, but HD-DVD still uses a Blue Laser to read off it. I think the best and most important way to go is Blu-Ray. Games are getting bigger and bigger, and to keep up with graphics, sounds and the latest immersion (think Everquest 2's voice overs) you will need a lot more space. I expect all 3 platforms to use Blu-Ray.

fofusion.co.uk

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

yes i agree but if you look at it from MSs point of view.

without a hard drive the xbox can be made smaller and possibly look cooler.

saves money on postal costs

they could use a removable storage type which you could listen to your custom soundtracks while on the move like an ipod.

also it would be nice taking your whatever gb memory card to a friends and listening to your music and using your gamesaves.

The other benefit from m$'s point of view its less likely to be hacked and backup games to be made possible.

So if you think about it what's stopping them from keeping the hard drive.
Well the only real thing is most people dont understand the benefits from other types of storage. I personally like this idea but i want it hackable so my games are still there when they get bust and i dont have to find discs and swap them etc.

Barry

bvic01

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »

very insteresting points everyone.  Personaly i wish they would keep the HD

leijae

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »

well... without the hd how will we be able to copy games? as far as the blue-ray hd-dvd its gonna be a couple of years before burners become available. as a modder... this makes me very concerned.

fireflier

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »

Blu-ray dvd burners were on sale last year...4 thousand a pop mind you..but they are on sale.. :lol:

thehittmann

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 08:35:00 PM »

There aren't all too many games around now that even fill up the DVD9's I really don't see the need for blueray discs without un-necessary bloating of games. Some of the best games of all time are less than 100k smile.gif

gorlock

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »

I dont think games will take any where near 30gbs any time soon
the reason I say that is comparing to file sizes now for xbox and pc games
thats almost ten times the size of most games it already pc's that are comparable to what the next xbox will be but there are no games that are half that size

M-K-E!

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »

i would think the advantage of the larger amount of space is they wont have to compress the game data as much, saving on loading times and other stuff.....plus with everything extraced on the game disc, there shouldnt be a need for an hdd to cache data to...

but i have no clue....that's just what i think....

thehittmann

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »

It will still have to cache data otherwise it would be constantly loading data from the disc on the fly...... I would think this would create more problems. It may well be that this xbox comes with no hard drive but increased RAM, CPU and Video to deal with the processing.

Altima NEO

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »

I havent read much about PS3. Whats Sonys plan as far as a hard drive?
I think it would be smart for MS to keep a hard drive, one way or another (external?). Having a hard drive would allow them to port games over, like Everquest II not to mention other possible games, too huge to load off a disc, or that require constant patching (like mmorpgs) Also, the custom soundtracks on Xbox were totally pimp.

Baner

• Archived User
Blu-ray Vs. Hd-dvd
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »

There's no real point in the HDD for the regular gamer, except for game saves, and custom sountracks. With the xbox mem card "ie the new ipod killer" the HDD would become obsolete save the box hackers.

What's the pricing on Blu-ray and HD-DVD? Aren't HD-DVDs cheaper right now? I also noticed someone mentioned the seek times on Blu-rays were 3 times faster... which means faster loading times and such. Games now aren't any bigger than 3 gigs on average, but they have atleast 3-5 years that they need to be able to expand on the consoles.

Wouldn't xbox implementing the HD-DVD eliminate the chance of backwards capibilities, and DVD playback? Or are the HD-DVD drive still like conventional cd drives. I thought the HD-DVDs were more like larger floppys, ie cartridges.
Pages: [1] 2 3