xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Can Still Use The Xbox Controllers On Xbox2?  (Read 1259 times)

wolrahnaes

• Archived User
Can Still Use The Xbox Controllers On Xbox2?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »

I keep seeing USB 2.0 mentioned in this thread, and all I have to ask is WHY?

Do you guys not understand what USB 2.0 is or something?  It's not a new connector for one thing.

USB 1.1 theoretically transfers data at 11 megabits per second.  USB 2.0 is nothing more than a speed up to Firewire-like speeds of 480mbps.

USB is backwards and forwards compatible.  You can plug a USB 1.1 device in to a USB 2.0 port, and it will work fine.  Same with the other way around, although it will be limited to USB 1.1 speeds.

The Xbox 1 controller transfers 20 bytes per refresh.  This is 160 bits, so in theory, the Xbox controller could refresh over 70,000 times per second without maxing out the USB 1.1 data capabilities.

The only reason there would ever be USB 2.0 to the controllers is if MS decides to keep the memory cards in the controllers and wants to give us faster access to them.  Even then, the Xenon would still be fully capable of recognizing Xbox controllers, at least in hardware.

Whether MS will support the Xbox controller plug or support old controllers in software is another matter entirely.

wolrahnaes

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (chris_kalan @ Oct 29 2004, 10:26 PM)
Nintendo has managed to change their controllers with each system.
<snip>
Original - nothing new, because there was nothing to change!
SNES - Shoulder buttons, YX buttons
N64 - 3 prong design, C buttons, Z, 2 pads
GCN - funky L R buttons, odd Z placement, rotatable C buttons

Ya know, interesting factoid here...

The NES and SNES used the same communication protocol.  Just a different connector.
I don't know much about the GCN's controllers, but I'd assume that it is similar, though obviously clocked up to handle the extra bytes from the new analog stick and any analog buttons.

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2004, 12:44:00 AM »

They could get away with USB 1.1 ports, and really all a current XBox controller port is USB at heart.

However, I think it will use a standard USB connection because they said you can plug XBox peripherals directly into a Windows PC.
Pages: 1 2 [3]